The Student Room Group

What are the health benefits of rowing, and will it give me man shoulders?

Dumb question first: I've recently started at the rowing club where I live on the coast, and we're doing a lot of running, ergo training and sometimes weights - last time we alternated rowing 3000m on the machines and running. We won't actually be rowing on the water until spring when it's lighter outside but I loveeeee it so far. However, I was just wondering....is this going to give me hench man muscles? I know loads of girls ask these sorts of questions and it's not like I'm going to quit a sport I really enjoy because of it but yeah, just curious. Will it make me lean and skinny (assuming I continue to eat a regular diet) or...bulky? :colondollar:

More general question, do any of you people row? What are its main health benefits, looking at it as an exercise form as well as a fun and enjoyable sport?
rowing is a very healthy activity. you will develop healthy muscles but not like a shot-putter. here are some lady rowers:

http://athletics.trincoll.edu/sports/wrowing/2014-15/Wrow1415Recap.jpg
Even lifting big weights won't make you look like a man, you don't have the hormonal make-up for that. Rowing in itself will build very little muscle if any, it's a low resistance activity based more around endurance than anything.
They're just shoulders, and it depends . :colonhash:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
They're just shoulders, and it depends . :colonhash:

😂😂😂😂
I used to do rowing I love it, so fun 😂😭
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
😂😂😂😂
I used to do rowing I love it, so fun 😂😭

It is. :biggrin:
It is. :biggrin:

Man shoulders tho 😂😂
Man shoulders tho 😂😂

Yeah, what's wrong with shoulders that are a bit broad, they're just shoulders. :h:
Yeah, what's wrong with shoulders that are a bit broad, they're just shoulders. :h:

Ik I mean what she means by man shoulders 😂
I have kinda broader shoulders myself so I can't say anything against it but I weren't gonaa anyway 😬🙈
Ik I mean what she means by man shoulders 😂
I have kinda broader shoulders myself so I can't say anything against it but I weren't gonaa anyway 😬🙈

Yeah, but there's no point her crying about it. Shoulders are shoulders.
Original post by aeroplanedriver
Dumb question first: I've recently started at the rowing club where I live on the coast, and we're doing a lot of running, ergo training and sometimes weights - last time we alternated rowing 3000m on the machines and running. We won't actually be rowing on the water until spring when it's lighter outside but I loveeeee it so far. However, I was just wondering....is this going to give me hench man muscles? I know loads of girls ask these sorts of questions and it's not like I'm going to quit a sport I really enjoy because of it but yeah, just curious. Will it make me lean and skinny (assuming I continue to eat a regular diet) or...bulky? :colondollar:

More general question, do any of you people row? What are its main health benefits, looking at it as an exercise form as well as a fun and enjoyable sport?

Hi there, I'm a rower :smile:

Rowing is tremendously good for you and joining a rowing team is one of the most intense and rewarding experiences. It's low impact so your joints should hold up, and it's great cardiovascular work and great for your muscles. You'll gain very small amounts of muscle in your legs/core/back but let me reiterate... very small. You'll burn lots of fat too, as rowing burns a hell of a lot of calories so you'll most likely be in a deficit.

Your body composition will be predominantly determined by your diet, but as part of the rowing program you'll also be lifting weights. After a good year or so your body will change shape. You'll probably do lots of core and circuit training.

Overall, you'll be a beast :biggrin:

(in a good way)
Original post by the bear
rowing is a very healthy activity. you will develop healthy muscles but not like a shot-putter. here are some lady rowers:

http://athletics.trincoll.edu/sports/wrowing/2014-15/Wrow1415Recap.jpg

not really representative of the average lady rower, those beautiful girls do look a little on the chunky side...
Yeah, but there's no point her crying about it. Shoulders are shoulders.

yeah ik true. :h:
Original post by hezzlington
not really representative of the average lady rower, those beautiful girls do look a little on the chunky side...

hmmmm... i need to do more research :teehee:
Hi there, I'm a rower :smile:

Rowing is tremendously good for you and joining a rowing team is one of the most intense and rewarding experiences. It's low impact so your joints should hold up, and it's great cardiovascular work and great for your muscles. You'll gain very small amounts of muscle in your legs/core/back but let me reiterate... very small. You'll burn lots of fat too, as rowing burns a hell of a lot of calories so you'll most likely be in a deficit.

Your body composition will be predominantly determined by your diet, but as part of the rowing program you'll also be lifting weights. After a good year or so your body will change shape. You'll probably do lots of core and circuit training.

Overall, you'll be a beast :biggrin:

(in a good way)

Thanks v much, that's what I wanted to know :smile:
Hey, I row! And it's wonderful. After a couple of years of rowing my shoulder's aren't manly, actually they've slimmed down and become very lean (along with the rest of me thankfully!). I lost so much fat all over, particularly on my waist. Remember that most of rowing is done with your legs, not your arms. I'm not sure I agree with one of the posters above because I have gained a fair bit of muscle in my core and my legs, and some definition in my arms. I do weights sessions alongside rowing though :smile: Went to the chiropractor yesterday (I won't pretend that I don't get back pain) and he said my back muscles were beautiful :colondollar: I'm blushing rn

All these people saying rowing is fun! Haha...it's fun when I've finished, ragging at the time.
Original post by epsilondelta
Hey, I row! And it's wonderful. After a couple of years of rowing my shoulder's aren't manly, actually they've slimmed down and become very lean (along with the rest of me thankfully!). I lost so much fat all over, particularly on my waist. Remember that most of rowing is done with your legs, not your arms. I'm not sure I agree with one of the posters above because I have gained a fair bit of muscle in my core and my legs, and some definition in my arms. I do weights sessions alongside rowing though :smile: Went to the chiropractor yesterday (I won't pretend that I don't get back pain) and he said my back muscles were beautiful :colondollar: I'm blushing rn

All these people saying rowing is fun! Haha...it's fun when I've finished, ragging at the time.

yeah winter training and all the steady state is killing me :frown:

Much prefer regatta season
yeah winter training and all the steady state is killing me :frown:

Much prefer regatta season

ME TOO it's awful isn't it! It's just so painful haha and you don't get any of the thrill that you do on the water inside

It's coming! And we shall be ready :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest