The Student Room Group

Question to Women

Ladies, is it alright for men to approach you on the street and start a conversation with a sincere genuine compliment (not related to your upper chest/butt/body) but maybe about your clothes/hair/ eyes? If not what's the most feasible way to approach a girl/ woman (please don't say be yourself because I really would like to get this part of my dating handled!)?

Scroll to see replies

I think it would be acceptable, just as long as you don't keep asking questions, some may begin to get annoyed and agitated.
Hi,
Yeah it's okay, it may brighten up her day. But when you see her becoming uncomfortable or anything, don't carry on and stop her from going. If she shows genuine interest (e.g. Smiling, friendly body language, etc) then by all means carry on the conversation.

Good luck!
Original post by JaffaNeko
I think it would be acceptable, just as long as you don't keep asking questions, some may begin to get annoyed and agitated.

In my experience, I noticed that if you acknowledge what they are saying and give some anecdotes about your life, then she will begin to open up to you. From you view, what would be the best way to get a girl to open up to you?
I have got random compliments before. It's never lead to a date but it was flattering :-). Even if I wasn't interested I would still appreciate that someone had the balls to come and talk to me (a complete stranger).
I don't see why not , might be a tiny bit weird for me, I wouldn't get their number or anything this way though !
Original post by MissIntrov
Hi,
Yeah it's okay, it may brighten up her day. But when you see her becoming uncomfortable or anything, don't carry on and stop her from going. If she shows genuine interest (e.g. Smiling, friendly body language, etc) then by all means carry on the conversation.

Good luck!

Oh I thought that, if she feels uncomfortable, just let her go instead because you don't want to look needy. Honestly, I'm not looking for sex but am definitely not desperate guy, I just want to find a way of connecting with women better! I'm not that good at getting people to women to open up but am alright to guys ... any tips for women? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by King Draziton
Ladies, is it alright for men to approach you on the street and start a conversation with a sincere genuine compliment (not related to your upper chest/butt/body) but maybe about your clothes/hair/ eyes? If not what's the most feasible way to approach a girl/ woman (please don't say be yourself because I really would like to get this part of my dating handled!)?

I normally wait until i see a fit shop assistant, then ask them for a cuddle. I don't remember ever doing it with another customer though. I might get a slap!
Original post by MissDetermined
I have got random compliments before. It's never lead to a date but it was flattering :-). Even if I wasn't interested I would still appreciate that someone had the balls to come and talk to me (a complete stranger).

Wow, I appreciate the feedback, honestly! It's ensure that its alright because I'm afraid with today's social conditioning it might be not ok especially with tinder and other dating web sites being ok to use instead of meeting people in person.
Original post by Supernova91
I don't see why not , might be a tiny bit weird for me, I wouldn't get their number or anything this way though !

But would there be a slight possibility if that person connected with you on a deeper level?
In my experience, I noticed that if you acknowledge what they are saying and give some anecdotes about your life, then she will begin to open up to you. From you view, what would be the best way to get a girl to open up to you?

Everything starts off small but it won't start with everyone. But I guess so, it could be a start. Then you don't seem like a complete weirdo but genuinely a nice person 😌
Honestly it really depends.

If a woman is clearly on her way someone and walking, chances are she probably can't be bothered being stopped she has somewhere to be.

If it's night and she's alone and there aren't other people around she may find it scary (not because you're bad person or anything, but because it's vulnerable situation for her to be in).

But other more relaxed situations? Day time with plenty of people around and she doesn't seem to be in any sort of rush? Sure why not. I don't think many women would mind.

Bare in mind not all women are the same, some will want to be left alone no matter what. Others won't give a crap at all and like if you approach them.

I've had a couple of men come up to me and initiate conversation with me in the past in the street, and they did in the right way (non threatening, weren't trying to stop me going anywhere or generally inconveniencing me). But I have unfortunately also had more men not do it the right way (not take no for an answer, following me etc).

My advice is just be aware of your and her surroundings and how you may come across.
Original post by john2054
I normally wait until i see a fit shop assistant, then ask them for a cuddle. I don't remember ever doing it with another customer though. I might get a slap!

I'm sorry I don't really understand what you're trying to say haha
Reply 13

You have to be good-looking (and lucky).
Wow, I appreciate the feedback, honestly! It's ensure that its alright because I'm afraid with today's social conditioning it might be not ok especially with tinder and other dating web sites being ok to use instead of meeting people in person.

I think people will react differently. I've done the Tinder thing and It's very frustrating, I would much rather meet someone in person. If you have the confidence, you've got nothing to lose really. Sure you might get knocked back but that can happen in any setting.
Original post by SophieSmall
Honestly it really depends.

If a woman is clearly on her way someone and walking, chances are she probably can't be bothered being stopped she has somewhere to be.

If it's night and she's alone and there aren't other people around she may find it scary (not because you're bad person or anything, but because it's vulnerable situation for her to be in).

But other more relaxed situations? Day time with plenty of people around and she doesn't seem to be in any sort of rush? Sure why not. I don't think many women would mind.

Bare in mind not all women are the same, some will want to be left alone no matter what. Others won't give a crap at all and like if you approach them.

I've had a couple of men come up to me and initiate conversation with me in the past in the street, and they did in the right way (non threatening, weren't trying to stop me going anywhere or generally inconveniencing me). But I have unfortunately also had more men not do it the right way (not take no for an answer, following me etc).

My advice is just be aware of your and her surroundings and how you may come across.

Wow! I really appreciate that info! If I may ask, for some women, their voice may say no but their body launguage means otherwise. When do you know to give up and move on and when do you continue?
Wow! I really appreciate that info! If I may ask, for some women, their voice may say no but their body launguage means otherwise. When do you know to give up and move on and when do you continue?

If they are saying no leave them alone. Regardless of what you might think you are reading from their body language...they are saying no.
Original post by Josb
You have to be good-looking (and lucky).

Not really, I consider myself average looking but still have seen results. We have to believe we can achieve the impossible and must know when to back down. I believe that anyone has equal opportunity so no one loses if they are not good looking :smile:
Yeah it would be sweet I guess :redface:
Original post by SophieSmall
If they are saying no leave them alone. Regardless of what you might think you are reading from their body language...they are saying no.

Alright thx for the tip and your help, really means a lot to me! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending