The Student Room Group

Worried about English Speaking Exam?

I know it's 0% of the English qualification but it's still apparently a separately endorsed qualification. I'm absolutely awful with public speaking and I'm honestly terrified. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by e2014
I know it's 0% of the English qualification but it's still apparently a separately endorsed qualification. I'm absolutely awful with public speaking and I'm honestly terrified. Any advice?

This is what I would do , stare around at the back wall just above everyone's heads so it looks like you're making eyecontact and if you have one friend in the class keep returning your gaze back at them, if you feel comfortable with them. Do that and speak with a confident voice, avoid stuttering and you should be fine. It might also help when you're holding your cuecards if at any time you feel nervous squeeze your hand hard as just an alleviation tactic, and if you want take a deep breath in here and there before you speak.

Also always keep in mind the end goal would you prefer to be scared now, not do it properly and get a low grade or be scared, fake your confidence through it despite the people staring at you and get a good grade
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by e2014

It's a lot easier than you expect, you can ask your teacher if you can do it in front of a smaller group if that would make it easier for you :smile:
If you have to do it in front of the class, know that you are not alone and that everyone will be feeling the same.One of the things I found that helped was just speaking to your teacher about how you feel and she/he might be able to give you some suggestins? Maybe they might let you do it just in front of them rather than the whole class? Aee you GCSE?
Reply 4
Original post by e2014

Do you have to do an exam for it? With AQA I got a speaking and listening grade but didn't have to do any type of public speaking or an exam for it.
Reply 5
Original post by etudiebee
Do you have to do an exam for it? With AQA I got a speaking and listening grade but didn't have to do any type of public speaking or an exam for it.

What was your grade based on then? I have to do a 1-3 minute speech in front of my class (standardly in front of the class but I think that can be done with less people if you really don't feel up to it)
Reply 6
Original post by e2014
What was your grade based on then? I have to do a 1-3 minute speech in front of my class (standardly in front of the class but I think that can be done with less people if you really don't feel up to it)

I think my teacher just assessed how we were in class during the 2 years? I'm really not sure though, I didn't even know it was a thing until I saw my results sheet.

I would definitely tell your teacher how you feel. They might be able to put something in place for you or give you some tips with how to deal with it.
I felt it helped my confidence. I felt like I had social anxiety but after I delivered my speech it helped my confidence!!!
My class hasn't done it yet we're doing it soon, but my friend's class has basically for AQA you get either a Pass, Merit, or Distinction. Distinction being the highest you have to deliver a confident speech about something you feel passionate about and show you're able to clearly and confidently able to answer questions on the said topic. A sample of people may be recorded and sennt to the examboard to make sure the teachers marking is all in order and that there's no bias. This is seperate from the main English Qualifications.
Original post by e2014

Are you IGCSE?
We have to do the public speaking for CIE, and I know a girl in my class has anxiety, so the teacher is letting her make her speech just infront of teachers, instead of infront of all her classmates.
Personally I don't get worried about it, because it has no effect on my score, it's just something I have to complete to pass - it can go 'terrible' but it really doesn't matter.
What's the worst that could happen? You say the wrong word, so correct yourself?
I usually get 18 or 19/20 for the speaking, but you could get 10/20 and still pass, so it's fine (atleast if your talking about IGCSE)
Reply 10
Original post by koala789
Are you IGCSE?
We have to do the public speaking for CIE, and I know a girl in my class has anxiety, so the teacher is letting her make her speech just infront of teachers, instead of infront of all her classmates.
Personally I don't get worried about it, because it has no effect on my score, it's just something I have to complete to pass - it can go 'terrible' but it really doesn't matter.
What's the worst that could happen? You say the wrong word, so correct yourself?
I usually get 18 or 19/20 for the speaking, but you could get 10/20 and still pass, so it's fine (atleast if your talking about IGCSE)

No we do GCSE on the AQA exam board. As someone said earlier, we'll either get a Pass, Merit or Distinction. :smile:
Original post by e2014
No we do GCSE on the AQA exam board. As someone said earlier, we'll either get a Pass, Merit or Distinction. :smile:

ohhh sorry!
I guess that's a bit more stressfull because you get an actual grade :frown:
Do you have more of an issue with writing the speech, or just the performance?
Okay so when it comes to the actual thing, (assuming we're doing the same one, mines soon too), you are allowed notes. Make sure you do try and take as much as you are allowed and remember to stay calm before you do it. Maybe like read online about the topic before you do it just so your mind is in it rather than the whole audience thing.

It's very important to remember that everyone is in the same boat. One of the most horrible bullies in my year was shaking as he did his.

We're all in the same boat, nobody will judge you

Good luck :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by koala789
Do you have more of an issue with writing the speech, or just the performance?

The performance 100%. English is my best subject and I can get really high marks in exams based on reading and writing, but I'm just very quiet and find it hard to talk in front of people confidently. I also worry that I'll stumble on my words or that my voice will be monotonous.
Reply 15
Original post by Skeletonclique21
Okay so when it comes to the actual thing, (assuming we're doing the same one, mines soon too), you are allowed notes. Make sure you do try and take as much as you are allowed and remember to stay calm before you do it. Maybe like read online about the topic before you do it just so your mind is in it rather than the whole audience thing.

It's very important to remember that everyone is in the same boat. One of the most horrible bullies in my year was shaking as he did his.

We're all in the same boat, nobody will judge you

Good luck :smile:

Thank you :smile:

... |-/ :u:
Reply 16
Original post by Doctor Who??
I felt it helped my confidence. I felt like I had social anxiety but after I delivered my speech it helped my confidence!!!

How so? I'd love this to be a benefit of doing mine.
Reply 17
Original post by Popsiclez
This is what I would do , stare around at the back wall just above everyone's heads so it looks like you're making eyecontact and if you have one friend in the class keep returning your gaze back at them, if you feel comfortable with them. Do that and speak with a confident voice, avoid stuttering and you should be fine. It might also help when you're holding your cuecards if at any time you feel nervous squeeze your hand hard as just an alleviation tactic, and if you want take a deep breath in here and there before you speak.

Also always keep in mind the end goal would you prefer to be scared now, not do it properly and get a low grade or be scared, fake your confidence through it despite the people staring at you and get a good grade

Thanks!
Original post by e2014
Thank you :smile:

... |-/ :u:

No problem

|-/ (made my week)
I was in the exact position this time last year (I did mine in Year 10). I had and still have a severe stammer, but obviously I get special consideration. I managed to get my teacher to haggle it down to her and another student (there had to be an audience) and I delivered a what seemed forever speech against communism.

I ended up getting a merit in it!

If you're really upset about it, do what I did. Ask your teacher politely if you can do it privately at a lunch time!

Chin up, once you've done this test you never need do it again! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest