The Student Room Group

Enzyme question stuck

http://imgur.com/a/AgVbW
http://imgur.com/a/3cADS
For this question, I don't understand why the limiting factor between P & Q is the substrate concentration as you are told that the substrate concentration is in excess in the question. Why is the temperature not the factor limiting the reaction since it provides kinetic energy...

For bii) I don't get why the denaturation of enzymes would be the answer because products are still being produced since the curve doesn't drop to 0. Is the flattening of the curve saying that the total mass of products are the products made previously?

Thanks
Temp is not the limiting factor because the temp is constant for the one experiment. Substrate level is the limiting factor because the amount of product is still increasing. For extra information when the graph plateaus the enzyme concentration is the limiting factor. My explanation may not make sense but don't worry, its because I don't really know how to explain it. I think with some questions like this I would take it under the chin.

For bii), yes.
Reply 2
Original post by Hajra Momoniat
Temp is not the limiting factor because the temp is constant for the one experiment. Substrate level is the limiting factor because the amount of product is still increasing. For extra information when the graph plateaus the enzyme concentration is the limiting factor. My explanation may not make sense but don't worry, its because I don't really know how to explain it. I think with some questions like this I would take it under the chin.

For bii), yes.

Thanks a lot for helping. So at the start ( from p to Q), why can't the enzyme concentration be the limiting factor since the production of products is also dependent on the number of active site. Thanks
Original post by coconut64
Thanks a lot for helping. So at the start ( from p to Q), why can't the enzyme concentration be the limiting factor since the production of products is also dependent on the number of active site. Thanks

Np. The enzyme amount is constant because it is a catalyst. But the graph is increasing and that's because the products are increasing whilst the substrates are decreasing. You may b thinking that the amount of enzymes is also constant when the graph plateaus. Yes this is true but the reson as to why the enzyme is the limiting factor here is that all the substrate has been turned into the products and so the job of the enzyme is done. This may not make sense again but I would take it at face value :smile:
Reply 4
Np. The enzyme amount is constant because it is a catalyst. But the graph is increasing and that's because the products are increasing whilst the substrates are decreasing. You may b thinking that the amount of enzymes is also constant when the graph plateaus. Yes this is true but the reson as to why the enzyme is the limiting factor here is that all the substrate has been turned into the products and so the job of the enzyme is done. This may not make sense again but I would take it at face value :smile:

Thanks, I sort of get what you mean.
:smile:. I was worried if you didn't. what exam board do you follow? If it is AQA then you can look at my resources which can be seen on Get Revising. Make an account which is free and then message me (my name is the same as the one on here). This is so that you can click on my name in your 'sent messages which will be in blue and then you will be able to see all my resources that I have made. I have made resources on AS and A2 topics except Investigating Biodiversity as I am still working on it.
forgot to send the link lol

https://getrevising.co.uk/
Reply 7
:smile:. I was worried if you didn't. what exam board do you follow? If it is AQA then you can look at my resources which can be seen on Get Revising. Make an account which is free and then message me (my name is the same as the one on here). This is so that you can click on my name in your 'sent messages which will be in blue and then you will be able to see all my resources that I have made. I have made resources on AS and A2 topics except Investigating Biodiversity as I am still working on it.

Thanks so much
Np :smile:. If you have any other questions with chem or maths if you do these then don't hesitate to ask. For chem I follow AQA ans Maths I follow Edexcel :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending