The Student Room Group

Classic Car Insurance

Does anybody know any classic cars that are cheap to insure?
I want a Classic Golf, but the insurance is coming up at around £4000 and obviously this is too much.

Any suggestions, hoping to pass my test soon, im 17 btw.
Original post by Tay.Bradley
Does anybody know any classic cars that are cheap to insure?
I want a Classic Golf, but the insurance is coming up at around £4000 and obviously this is too much.

Any suggestions, hoping to pass my test soon, im 17 btw.

Assuming you want a classic car because insurance is cheap, and as you're 17 a 'Norma' car will be too expensive?

Unfortunately most (but not all) car insurers will only insure you on a classic car if you're older (often over 25) and often it has to be classed as a second vehicle - you can't just insure it for pennies and then use it as your daily. Of course you can, but they will write it into the T&Ca that you can't.

Also, you could very easily end up spending thousands just keeping it fuelled and running - a newer car with higher premiums may be a cheaper option overall.

I'd ring a few companies up (google?) and see what they say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shaymarriott
Assuming you want a classic car because insurance is cheap, and as you're 17 a 'Norma' car will be too expensive?

Unfortunately most (but not all) car insurers will only insure you on a classic car if you're older (often over 25) and often it has to be classed as a second vehicle - you can't just insure it for pennies and then use it as your daily. Of course you can, but they will write it into the T&Ca that you can't.

Also, you could very easily end up spending thousands just keeping it fuelled and running - a newer car with higher premiums may be a cheaper option overall.

I'd ring a few companies up (google?) and see what they say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree.
Reply 3
Im asking what classic cars are cheapest to insure, not how much its gonna cost to run etc.
Thanks though.
Reply 4
Im asking what classic cars are cheapest to insure, not how much its gonna cost to run etc.
Thanks though.

Might as well give up your quite frankly weird dream. You're 17, get something cheap and insure it cheaply. It's not rocket science.
Reply 5
Weird dream...... coming from the person with a cat as their picture looool

Dont comment if you got nothing that actually helps.
Reply 6

You'll find it was damn good advice. No one wants to insure you on a classic car because you don't meet the bare minimum of requirements. You need to educate yourself on how the insurance system in this country works before maintaining your incredibly high aspirations.

I reiterate. Buy a cheap car, and insure it cheaply.

EDIT: If you can't afford 4 grand for insurance, how are you going to afford to maintain the car? 🤔🤔🤔
(edited 7 years ago)
Most insurers will NOT insure you (esp as you haven't even got a licence) on a classic car. Many are you have to be at least 21 and some won't unless you're 25. No point asking for another 4 years.
(edited 7 years ago)

Look out - a prentenious child who thinks he's a big man :lol:

And to answer your question - YOU WONT GET INSURED ON A CLASSIC CAR. - Got through your skull?
Reply 9
zzzzzzzzz lol i will be bqck in a few months to show you my car :smile:
Reply 10
zzzzzzzzz lol i will be bqck in a few months to show you my car :smile:

Inb4 go kart
u will see young blood
u will see young blood

No we won't....
Thing of the past to think one can simply get cheaper insurance by going under a classic car scheme.

Most insurers have long since closed that loophole and many now won't insure you if it is the only car you own. Most will also need you to be 21 or above with some asking for as high as 25.
Attachment not found

Lotus Esprit Series 3 £55 per month LOL xD

But i am 24
(edited 6 years ago)
call the companys it is possible. my mates insured on a 78 beetle really moddified for £580 a year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending