The Student Room Group

Social media?

(This is for an English assessment)
Do you think social media is good/bad, what are the good/bad points, do you use it? That sort of thing, I'm just using this as a control group for some ideas
Thanks
GOOD
-Keep in contact with friends
-Long distance calls with family etc
-Access to more academic resources (more computers than social media)
-Meet new people...
-I'm sure there are others

BAD
-Meet new people (i.e. stalkers etc)
-Grooming
-Cyber bullying
-Waste of time?
-Lack of privacy
-Trying to put a filter on life == low self esteem (have you watched the viral millenial video thing? It's really interesting and very relevant)
-Obsession with celebrities?

I know there are so many other pros/ cons but can't think of them all right now
Reply 2
Original post by koala789
GOOD
-Keep in contact with friends
-Long distance calls with family etc
-Access to more academic resources (more computers than social media)
-Meet new people...
-I'm sure there are others

BAD
-Meet new people (i.e. stalkers etc)
-Grooming
-Cyber bullying
-Waste of time?
-Lack of privacy
-Trying to put a filter on life == low self esteem (have you watched the viral millenial video thing? It's really interesting and very relevant)
-Obsession with celebrities?

I know there are so many other pros/ cons but can't think of them all right now

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by lyeeta
(This is for an English assessment)
Do you think social media is good/bad, what are the good/bad points, do you use it? That sort of thing, I'm just using this as a control group for some ideas
Thanks

Disadvantages:

- ''Check in'' features on websites like Facebook can make people an easy target for predators

- Can damage relationships with people. If you're out with friends a lot of time you can all be glued to your phones instead of actually talking to each other

- Terrorist groups can use it as a way of misleading young people

- Too distracting. You become less productive as you're too busy scrolling through Facebook instead of getting stuff done.

Advantages:

- Advertising on social media can help business owners and non-profit organisations

- Breaking news can be accessed quickly and easily. You no longer have to wait around until the news came on at a certain time in the past

- Can easily communicate with friends and family including those that may live hundreds or thousands of miles away

Quick Reply

Latest