The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just came from my pool interveiw:smile: Hoping for the best is all I can do now
Original post by IcedArizona
Did you apply to Caius?

No sorry, tell us when you hear back
My offer just came through on track and I'm wondering - on UCAS it says: "This offer is subject to you obtaining GCE A level Grades A*A*A including Grade A* - Further Mathematics". Whereas on my letter it says I have to get these grades in my subjects that aren't yet completed (I already have an A* in maths). Is the UCAS description supposed to be fully descriptive or not?
Original post by auburnstar
I know someone who got rejected with 8A*2A, AAAA at AS, A*A*A*A* prediction. No idea how he interviewed though (he's a bit overconfident as a person).

But like guys, how do we even know how they score it?? How do we know exactly what weight they give to things, particularly when they are absent? How do you compare a lower GCSE/AS/A2 from a worse school to a slightly lower GCSE/AS/A2 to a very marginally worse school? How do you compare interviews between people when the way the questions are answered aren't always going to be the same (esp in humanities)? I'm not saying it's not rigorous, but people do seem to forget that it's human beings running it and that if everyone had the 'secret key' to get in, getting in wouldn't be a challenge at all.

Original post by k.russell
Well I believe they would just compare that to your schools average, I really think you are putting too much emphasis on GCSE's tho!

I have AAAA in AS and predicted A*A*A*A*, got rejected 😐
I read literally every single offer holder post on the decisions thread to see any kind of trend and the one thing I noticed was everyone who got in had above 5 A*'s at gcse with a couple exceptions and the average was like 10 A*'s. so it only makes sense for me to over weight gcses at the moment, but I hope it's because people with 4 A's at AS are the ones who get 9 A*'s. I'm pretty confident I was rejected due to an average admissions test and failing to shine extra bright in the interview. I think I did better than a few other students but being an international I guess they have fewer spaces and i guess I didn't seem special enough to them. Well no point in assessing this myself, I already requested feedback (hope it's honest lol) so I'll find out soon anyways.
Turns out there was another secret Cambridge applicant at our school. Who got rejected. I'm the only one who got in oxbridge. And I by far had the worst grades. I don't understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IcedArizona
A hatred lives inside of me for the admissions team at Caius :smile: how irresponsible can it be to not warn that they are sending LETTERS to Eu students? And who gets the idea to send letters? Do they know what French post is like? (obviously not..) And then someone said they're actually emailing but at 5.10 pm they had already left office..
Very nice :smile:

Are you still waiting?? That's awful :frown:
I think something helpful we could do is everyone can post their feedback (even feedback requested by successful students) they requested when it comes so it can help reapplying students not repeat mistakes, or emulate whatever successful applicants did.
Original post by Obiejess
Turns out there was another secret Cambridge applicant at out school. Who got rejected. I'm the only one who got in oxbridge. And I by far had the worst grades. I don't understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could have interviewed better
Original post by Student1256
I think something helpful we could do is everyone can post their feedback (even feedback requested by successful students) they requested when it comes so it can help reapplying students not repeat mistakes, or emulate whatever successful applicants did.

PRSOM. Good idea!

My college is (stubbornly) not giving feedback which as a pretty liberal college is surprising and annoying. Feedback isn't absolutely essential as I'm gonna go to Durham/Birmingham for 3 years and try and do really well so I can get into the MSt/MPhil :yep:
Could have interviewed better

Yeah but - to that degree? I didn't feel it went amazingly. I'm just shocked. And lots of people are being quite bitter about me getting in despite being worse on paper.

We're talking 5A*s at GCSE AAABD at AS vs. Two people with 9A*s+ at GCSE and AAAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah but - to that degree? I didn't feel it went amazingly. I'm just shocked. At lots of people are being quite bitter about be getting in despite being worse on paper.

We're talking 5A*s at GCSE AAABD at AS vs. Two people with 9A*s+ at GCSE and AAAA.

If you don't mind me asking what ranking is your school? Is it rated pretty well or does it not do as well?

But yea, if you were both applying for similarly competitive courses and went to the same school it has to have come down to you being better at either the submitted work/admissions tests or the interview. Or maybe you were more enthusiastic, had less of a 'flat' interview (I know this is pretty unfair as an assessment, some people are tired on one day and not as enthused xD).
Yeah but - to that degree? I didn't feel it went amazingly. I'm just shocked. And lots of people are being quite bitter about me getting in despite being worse on paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just shows you grades aren't everything in that case :smile: Sod 'em, be proud of your offer, they're just jealous. What college, Tit hall was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They shouldn't be bitter... when I got my Oxford interview, I also got it at the expense of some more qualified applicants in my school. They were all pretty bitter towards me. Don't listen to them! You do you :smile:
Original post by k.russell
The GCSE scoring system they use at Cambridge, if you're interested, is based off the best 8 GCSE's - so for me that's 2A* and 6A and for @NeverLucky it's just 8A* (got lucky in yr.11, clearly...) then it's 8 points for an A* and 7 for an A and so on, so I'm on 58/64 and NeverLucky is on 64/64. I think what they interested in is your score compared with the average of the school at which you sat your GCSE's, so for my school 58 is probably a pretty decent score.

There's no such scorIng system at Cambridge for GCSEs, at least not at any college I've worked at (three as AT) and I've never heard anyone mention it from any other college.
If you don't mind me asking what ranking is your school? Is it rated pretty well or does it not do as well?

But yea, if you were both applying for similarly competitive courses and went to the same school it has to have come down to you being better at either the submitted work/admissions tests or the interview. Or maybe you were more enthusiastic, had less of a 'flat' interview (I know this is pretty unfair as an assessment, some people are tired on one day and not as enthused xD).

I'd say an above average-ish state school, but without much history of oxbridge.
Original post by liziepie
Just shows you grades aren't everything in that case :smile: Sod 'em, be proud of your offer, they're just jealous. What college, Tit hall was it?

Thanks. Yeah :smile: (it's sooooo pretty)
Original post by bethipayne
Damn, now I kind of think I should've asked for the answers... Oh well!

I would love it if they let us know tomorrow - I might be able to relax this weekend! Yes, I was there yesterday; my general interview was at 10:45, and my subject interview was at 2:30:smile:

Ahhh, whatever you do, don't beat yourself up about it. I irritated myself over it for weeks last time, especially since they didn't tell me which law we were discussing so I couldn't google the answers myself. Quite frustrating haha! Same, I just want the waiting over already. Hey maybe I'll see you there next year, they definitely have more than one space to fill going off how many people they called back.

Ah I had the subject interview first at 10:30 and the general at 11:30. I probably didn't see you. The only other law applicants I saw were the girl before me on the list (ginger hair) and a girl I spoke to in the bar whilst waiting (short black hair). The only other people I spoke to were two guys there for economics. So unless you were either of those, we must've missed each other. Nonetheless, the wait will be over soon :smile:
Original post by wolfmoon88
They shouldn't be bitter... when I got my Oxford interview, I also got it at the expense of some more qualified applicants in my school. They were all pretty bitter towards me. Don't listen to them! You do you :smile:

It just makes me feel like maybe I don't deserve to be there, like I'm taking something away from 'better' students.
Thanks. Yeah :smile: (it's sooooo pretty)

Why is it Tit hall, anyway? :lol:
It just makes me feel like maybe I don't deserve to be there, like I'm taking something away from 'better' students.

Oxbridge applications are not just about grades (which I can attest to because if they were, I wouldn't have gotten an interview)

Congratulations on your offer :smile: you definitely deserve to be there!

Latest

Trending

Trending