The Student Room Group

2 hours till part time job interview - last minute tips help please?

I've got an interview in 2 hours - its for a possible iob in a pub/restaurant so I'll be helping them etc.
I've got no idea what to expect apart from the owner will be interviewing me...

have you got any tips?
I've researched the company and its news articles and also possible interview questions I may be asked

also I'm taking:

- taking copy of conformation email inviting me to interview
- coly of CV & cover letter x2
- list of questions to ask interviewer
- notebook & pen
-waterbottle
- mobile

also if anyone works in a restaurant/food workplace what type of questions were you asked in the interview?

thanks - gosh I'm so nervous... - its supposed to last for 2 hours :frown: :smile:
sometimes these places are very relaxed about new staff, in my last job i wasn't even given an interview i was just called up on the night they needed to replace someone and asked to start work (as a kp) xD

usually they are pretty chill but sometimes they might be uptight, try to work out which one they are and act appropriately. if you're facing customers they'll need you to be polite, smart and have some sort of personality (this is really harsh but the chefs where I last worked said "we don't hire ugly waitresses", which is not really true tbh they had a well rough one). if you're in the kitchen they'll just need you to be quiet and good at your job / obedient so try to demonstrate these qualities to the interviewer.
(edited 7 years ago)
I had an interview myself today , I feel your pain. You seem pretty well prepared , ask some good questions at the end and dress smart. It's mind over matter usually , as soon as it starts you'll relax . Have some confidence and smile , even if you're dying inside :laugh:
Original post by Mistletoe
sometimes these places are very relaxed about new staff, in my last job i wasn't even given an interview i was just called up on the night they needed to replace someone and asked to start work (as a kp) xD

usually they are pretty chill but sometimes they might be uptight, try to work out which one they are and act appropriately. if you're facing customers they'll need you to be polite, smart and have some sort of personality (this is really harsh but the chefs where I last worked said "we don't hire ugly waitresses", which is not really true tbh they had a well rough one). if you're in the kitchen they'll just need you to be quiet and good at your job / obedient so try to demonstrate these qualities to the interviewer.

thanks - I think I'm just meeting with the owner & their wife today - its a new restaurant so all the staff are new
I think I'll just be doing the basic stuff and then work my way up if I do get it :smile:
Original post by Supernova91
I had an interview myself today , I feel your pain. You seem pretty well prepared , ask some good questions at the end and dress smart. It's mind over matter usually , as soon as it starts you'll relax . Have some confidence and smile , even if you're dying inside :laugh:

thanks! :smile:
ooh hope it went well - did you get the job?
I'll report back later :smile:
You can do it! :biggrin: :hugs:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
You can do it! :biggrin: :hugs:

woo woo! I'm getting ready to leave now
I'll get back to you all later! :smile:
Original post by bizzy_penguin
woo woo! I'm getting ready to leave now
I'll get back to you all later! :smile:

See you later, update us on what happens. :smile:
Good luck! :biggrin: :hugs:
thanks! :smile:
ooh hope it went well - did you get the job?
I'll report back later :smile:

Im waiting to hear back !

Good luck , yeah keep us posted x
good luck penguin !!!

make sure you don't smell of herrings :h:
See you later, update us on what happens. :smile:
Good luck! :biggrin: :hugs:

Original post by Supernova91
Im waiting to hear back !

Good luck , yeah keep us posted x

Original post by the bear
good luck penguin !!!

make sure you don't smell of herrings :h:

lol, don't worry - I didn't :biggrin:

aw:smile: thanks for the support guys - I think it went quite well & went better than expected, especially as a first time :smile: there were quite a lot of students there too...
we had to do charades, build the tallest tower with a ball on it, act out something to sell to the customer, we did speed dating, and a informal interview

I thought it was strange most of the other groups didn't talk/communicate with each other? our group seemed to the loudest & worked together even though we lost... everyone else was quite quiet doing it...

just gotta wait for an phone call or email now :smile: the pressure... :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

aw:smile: thanks for the support guys - I think it went quite well & went better than expected, especially as a first time :smile: there were quite a lot of students there too...
we had to do charades, build the tallest tower with a ball on it, act out something to sell to the customer, we did speed dating, and a informal interview

I thought it was strange most of the other groups didn't talk/communicate with each other? our group seemed to the loudest & worked together even though we lost... everyone else was quite quiet doing it...

just gotta wait for an phone call or email now :smile: the pressure... :biggrin:

That's great news. :biggrin: :hugs:

I'm sure you'll get a phone call, and especially because you were part of the loudest group . :smile:

Tell us what happens. :hugs:

well done penguin... i'm sure you will be hired :h:
That's great news. :biggrin: :hugs:

I'm sure you'll get a phone call, and especially because you were part of the loudest group . :smile:

Tell us what happens. :hugs:

I hope so :smile::h: thanks

Original post by the bear
well done penguin... i'm sure you will be hired :h:

thank you bear, hopefully - their loss otherwise:h:
I hope so :smile::h: thanks

thank you bear, hooefully - their loss otherwise:h:

All good. :smile: :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending