The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liziepie
Why is it Tit hall, anyway? :lol:

The cynic in me thinks mainly to distinguish from Trinity lol
Original post by wolfmoon88
Oxbridge applications are not just about grades (which I can attest to because if they were, I wouldn't have gotten an interview)

Congratulations on your offer :smile: you definitely deserve to be there!

Thanks. You should apply to Tit Hall next year :biggrin:
Original post by Obiejess
Thanks. You should apply to Tit Hall next year :biggrin:

Maybe I will :biggrin: We'll see!
Original post by Replusz
i am a pembroke offer holder and yes mine was updated today afternoon

Original post by cathy_w
Applied to Selwyn but yeah mine has!

Original post by Italycalling
No. Still no email from Caius for EU student. No UCAS update either.

Thank you all for the reply! I hope mine updates soon! :smile:
Original post by IcedArizona
A hatred lives inside of me for the admissions team at Caius :smile: how irresponsible can it be to not warn that they are sending LETTERS to Eu students? And who gets the idea to send letters? Do they know what French post is like? (obviously not..) And then someone said they're actually emailing but at 5.10 pm they had already left office..
Very nice :smile:

Same situation here in Italy. Very frustrating....
Original post by Obiejess
Yeah but - to that degree? I didn't feel it went amazingly. I'm just shocked. And lots of people are being quite bitter about me getting in despite being worse on paper.

We're talking 5A*s at GCSE AAABD at AS vs. Two people with 9A*s+ at GCSE and AAAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps they were Dull and Duller?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
u don't have friends

Apologies to interject here, but I just wanted to ensure that you received my PM. I sent it some days ago and I have heard no reply since so I am simply affirming that you received it. If so, a speedy reply would be incredibly appreciated.

Thank you.
Original post by Student1256
But isnt it quite unlike Cambridge to convert people into a Bunch of numbers as they always say they don't use grading systems like that as they try to form a holistic view. How would they use that number? I am ending up with a 55/64 which doesn't look that bad but compared to a 64/64 is quite so

They have lots and lots of "bunches of numbers". That GCSE score is just one small data point amongst many. A good one won't earn an offer and a bad one one get a rejection. It really is about the holistic application.

Having been doing this for 3+ years I am now convinced about this.

And, like most people, I used to think otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student1256
I think something helpful we could do is everyone can post their feedback (even feedback requested by successful students) they requested when it comes so it can help reapplying students not repeat mistakes, or emulate whatever successful applicants did.

The feedback might or might not be that useful or detailed. And may also be unhelpful if taken out of context.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
They have lots and lots of "bunches of numbers". That GCSE score is just one small data point amongst many. A good one won't earn an offer and a bad one one get a rejection. It really is about the holistic application.

Having been doing this for 3+ years I am now convinced about this.

And, like most people, I used to think otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have to prove this, surely. Direct offer despite less than amazing results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is it Tit hall, anyway? :lol:

Quite a few Cambridge Colleges (Clare, Pembroke for instance) were called Halls until the 19th century before 'college' became standard and they were renamed as such. Trinity Hall couldn't become Trinity College as there already was one. Tit Hall on one measure is older than Trinity, though, being founded in 1350, whereas Trinity was founded in 1546. Trinity was refounded by Henry VIII from two older colleges, King's Hall and Michaelhouse, both of which are older than Tit Hall.
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Quite a few Cambridge Colleges (Clare, Pembroke for instance) were called Halls until the 19th century before 'college' became standard and they were renamed as such. Trinity Hall couldn't become Trinity College as there already was one. Tit Hall on one measure is older than Trinity, though, being founded in 1350, whereas Trinity was founded in 1546. Trinity was refounded by Henry VIII from two older colleges, King's Hall and Michaelhouse, both of which are older than Tit Hall.

Fascinating! You can defiantly tell your subject is history :wink: I just wondered why 'Trinity' was shortened to 'Tit' but your explanation was more interesting anyway.
Original post by domaths
My offer just came through on track and I'm wondering - on UCAS it says: "This offer is subject to you obtaining GCE A level Grades A*A*A including Grade A* - Further Mathematics". Whereas on my letter it says I have to get these grades in my subjects that aren't yet completed (I already have an A* in maths). Is the UCAS description supposed to be fully descriptive or not?

@Murray Edwards Admissions or @jneill either of you got any ideas on this? Sorry it's just been confusing me since it came through
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Ahhh, whatever you do, don't beat yourself up about it. I irritated myself over it for weeks last time, especially since they didn't tell me which law we were discussing so I couldn't google the answers myself. Quite frustrating haha! Same, I just want the waiting over already. Hey maybe I'll see you there next year, they definitely have more than one space to fill going off how many people they called back.

Ah I had the subject interview first at 10:30 and the general at 11:30. I probably didn't see you. The only other law applicants I saw were the girl before me on the list (ginger hair) and a girl I spoke to in the bar whilst waiting (short black hair). The only other people I spoke to were two guys there for economics. So unless you were either of those, we must've missed each other. Nonetheless, the wait will be over soon :smile:

I certainly hope so! There were definitely a fair few there for interview that day - hopefully there'll be places for at least a couple of us:biggrin: You probably wouldn't have seen me, if those were your times. No matter; when the wait is over (soon, hopefully!) we might just meet as students of Cambridge!
Original post by bethipayne
Yikes. I don't think this is the case in my scenario (fortunately for my continued sanity)... I can't imagine having to interview next week - the wait would be awful!

Welcome to my world - mine is on Monday :tongue:
DOss anyone know how we find out about offer holder open days?
Original post by chun_ni
Did you receive it by post? I applied there too but I haven't heard anything yet

Original post by timb1999
I received an offer for Law from Fitzwilliam college. Can someone tell me a little about the college?

I'll add at the head of this post that if anyone else has questions RE: Fitz or Law, please do not hesitate to PM me or quote this message and I will reply.

Hi - I'm a first year lawyer at Fitzwilliam so I'll say what I can! Fitz has a reputation for being a very friendly college - which is definitely true, I felt immediately welcome and loved the atmosphere, I really suggest having a look around if you have the opportunity. We have a quite good reputation in a range of sports/music, and it's worth noting that thanks to the generosity of Fitz Law alumni our textbooks are provided free of charge every year - also, the Master (Nicola Padfield) is a lawyer (supervisor for Fitz Criminal lawyers) and this has its advantages!

The Fresher accommodation is in 5 blocks, 3 (possibly 4 by summer) of which have been newly renovated in the past 1/2 years and are absolutely brilliant! We also have an absolutely lovely 24/7 library on site. Honestly, can't say enough how nice it is here!
Original post by legoody
I'll add at the head of this post that if anyone else has questions RE: Fitz or Law, please do not hesitate to PM me or quote this message and I will reply.

Hi - I'm a first year lawyer at Fitzwilliam so I'll say what I can! Fitz has a reputation for being a very friendly college - which is definitely true, I felt immediately welcome and loved the atmosphere, I really suggest having a look around if you have the opportunity. We have a quite good reputation in a range of sports/music, and it's worth noting that thanks to the generosity of Fitz Law alumni our textbooks are provided free of charge every year - also, the Master (Nicola Padfield) is a lawyer (supervisor for Fitz Criminal lawyers) and this has its advantages!

The Fresher accommodation is in 5 blocks, 3 (possibly 4 by summer) of which have been newly renovated in the past 1/2 years and are absolutely brilliant! We also have an absolutely lovely 24/7 library on site. Honestly, can't say enough how nice it is here!

What are your top 3 tips for future law students?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which college is that? I assumed they would all be obliged to give feedback or some form?

Original post by auburnstar
PRSOM. Good idea!

My college is (stubbornly) not giving feedback which as a pretty liberal college is surprising and annoying. Feedback isn't absolutely essential as I'm gonna go to Durham/Birmingham for 3 years and try and do really well so I can get into the MSt/MPhil :yep:
Fascinating! You can defiantly tell your subject is history :wink: I just wondered why 'Trinity' was shortened to 'Tit' but your explanation was more interesting anyway.

Sorry! Running my mouth off answering a different question. The answer to your original one? Schoolboy humour I expect! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending