The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by domaths
@Murray Edwards Admissions or @jneill either of you got any ideas on this? Sorry it's just been confusing me since it came through

Not sure, you'll need to ask the college.
I got pooled to Robinson - anyone know what it's like?
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Sorry! Running my mouth off answering a different question. The answer to your original one? Schoolboy humour I expect! :smile:

Just a question of curiosity, how good do you reckon my interviews would have actually had to have been (guesstimate) to get an offer for law with 5A*s at GCSE and AAAB(D -year 10) at AS? Asking you seeing as I can't ask for feedback :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liziepie
Fascinating! You can defiantly tell your subject is history :wink: I just wondered why 'Trinity' was shortened to 'Tit' but your explanation was more interesting anyway.

Is it just me being immature or does anyone else find it funny whenever someone says Tit Hall :rofl:
Original post by NeverLucky
Is it just me being immature or does anyone else find it funny whenever someone says Tit Hall :rofl:

My parents were pissing themselves when I told them that was the abbreviation of my (hopefully) future home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi people, how do I request feedback on my unsuccessful application at Emmanuel College??
Original post by maisym00
DOss anyone know how we find out about offer holder open days?

Not all colleges have them.

Original post by 555xxx555
Hi people, how do I request feedback on my unsuccessful application at Emmanuel College??

Email your admissions contact at the college.
http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/applying/policy/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chedda
If you haven't already found out, definitely call asap. My friend applied for English at the same college and she didn't get an email or a letter either. But when she called they let her know that she actually did get an offer, there was a problem in post delivery or something.

Good luck!

I ended up calling and they told me they simply hadn't reached a decision for my course yet so now I have to wait until Monday and maybe even later. I didn't even know that could happen?
Original post by domaths
@Murray Edwards Admissions or @jneill either of you got any ideas on this? Sorry it's just been confusing me since it came through

^What he said :smile:
Original post by margarete.b
I ended up calling and they told me they simply hadn't reached a decision for my course yet so now I have to wait until Monday and maybe even later. I didn't even know that could happen?

What course?
GOT IT BOISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Natural Sciences at Fitz here we go
Original post by EvilScientist
GOT IT BOISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Natural Sciences at Fitz here we go

Congrats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by jneill
^What he said :smile:

I've already asked my college about my offer (before UCAS came through) so if anything comes up there I'll see, otherwise I'll ask as follow up. Will ATs be working this weekend due to sorting out feedback and etc.?

Thanks again for all the help both of you bring to the thread - I know everyone here is really grateful for it.
Was rejected for NatSci a couple of days ago :frown: 11A*s at GCSE, average 98 UMS at AS and 590/600UMS Maths A level so was a bit gutted! Didn't think the interview was outstanding but certainly didn't think it was bad enough to off-set my entire application. I've been predicted 4A*s and I'm not sure whether to apply again next year hopefully with those grades under my belt. Any suggestions anyone?
So I was finally able to retrieve the letter (it actually already arrived today, but I could not get to it until now), and it was a rejection (from Robinson). I am not too disappointed since I was prepared for this outcome. Part of me is also a little relieved, because now I do not have to study every day to pass STEP and can focus on other things. I will just do my Bachelor degree in Vienna, maybe try again for Cambridge for my Master. Anyway, good luck to all of you offer holders for achieving your conditions, and to those still waiting for their letters!
Original post by jneill
What course?

I've sent it to you directly, I'm getting a bit paranoid about what admissions is looking at at this point
Original post by epsilondelta
Welcome to my world - mine is on Monday :tongue:

Oh my gosh, I feel for you! It sucks that you're being made to wait for so long...:frown: Best of luck, when you do go for interview!!:smile:
Original post by ajamess
Was rejected for NatSci a couple of days ago :frown: 11A*s at GCSE, average 98 UMS at AS and 590/600UMS Maths A level so was a bit gutted! Didn't think the interview was outstanding but certainly didn't think it was bad enough to off-set my entire application. I've been predicted 4A*s and I'm not sure whether to apply again next year hopefully with those grades under my belt. Any suggestions anyone?

Get the 4 A*, strengthen your interview practice (with those grades it's unlikely to be down to anything else unless your admissions test was bad) and reapply if you feel like doing it. You (presumably) know what the questions were and have a vague idea of what they want - ask for feedback where possible (but don't expect much detail).

Remember that there is a fair bit of luck involved in the process (eg what the rest of the competition was like, how interviewers assessed something that is ultimately pretty subjective etc) and that even amazing grades don't guarantee entry. If you do decide to reapply, do something that will strengthen your application eg work experience, further study, wider reading (and don't wait too long to plan this or you will spend the gap year doing nothing). Most reapplicants who are successful exceed the typical offer (as 88% of offer holders do) and most also do something of value to strengthen their application.

Even though it might seem like it now, Oxbridge isn't everything and it isn't a magical key to success. If you have a great offer from somewhere else, you might want to go there and try for Oxbridge postgrad where the requirements are substantially different from undergrad.

Up to you. Regardless of Oxbridge, get 4A* at A2 for yourself so that you can have the best possible opportunities regardless of where you go.

Best of luck. :yep:
Original post by bethipayne
Oh my gosh, I feel for you! It sucks that you're being made to wait for so long...:frown: Best of luck, when you do go for interview!!:smile:

Monday! I just couldn't face being freezing and getting the train all the way up there this time (my car got written off by a tesco van while it was parked outside my house...) so my dad offered to take me and I'm so pleased haha. Also after last time I realise that there is not much I can prepare apart from reading my personal statement! How did you feel about your interviews? I really hope you get your offer soon
Original post by Obiejess
What are your top 3 tips for future law students?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly, nail your A Levels and meet your requirement - that's the first hurdle. Unfortunately I didn't quite hit my targets and only just got in, and I can't say enough how much I would want others to avoid that on Results Day!

In your first year at Cambridge you will study Constitutional, Criminal, Tort and Civil (Roman) Law. You will be sent a pre-reading list at some point with some good books to consider, and its worth getting atleast an understanding of *what* you will be learning in these subjects, and perhaps a grounding in some of the basics. Consider:
- The Rule of Law, Tom Bingham - this looks at Constitutional Law (Tom Bingham was Senior Law Lord) and is really engaging. It focuses, unsurprisingly, on the rule of law which is a key concept in Consti.
- Criminal Law, Nicola Padfield - this looks at Criminal Law and again looks at key concepts and themes.
- Read a Newspaper/BBC News/Economist/something about the real world and what's going on there (especially law/politics, especially Brexit etc)
- Letters to a Law Student, Nicholas McBride - is a really useful thing to read for note taking and generally how to go about your law degree successfully.

Practice supervision style Q&A if you can. Thinking deeply about an issue, highlighting what you don't understand in a thoughtful way, being able to defend and explain your position, etc.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending