The Student Room Group

To those who want striking to be made illegal...

... lets say it actually happens. Congratulations, you're now living in a country where it is literately against the law to walk out on your employer.

What happens if a significant percentage of a workforce, say tube drivers employed by TfL hold their mettle and strike anyway? What do you propose happens in this situation? Sack them all? How will London cope exactly? Prosecute and shame the country on a global scale and embolden left wingers around the country.

Please do tell.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGuyReturns
... lets say it actually happens. Congratulations, you're now living in a country where it is literately against the law to walk out on your employer.

This will never be banned. It is called handing in your notice and going to work elsewhere. No one is making these poor poor overpaid, underworked train staff from turning up to work to open some doors before settling down in their cab to read the Daily Star.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2

What happens if a significant percentage of a workforce, say tube drivers employed by TfL hold their mettle and strike anyway? What do you propose happens in this situation? Sack them all? How will London cope exactly? Prosecute and shame the country on a global scale and embolden left wingers around the country.

Please do tell.

Well, not that I particularly care given that I, like the vast majority of British people, live outside London, but there are contingencies. Some are a bit much, but one that was talked about is bringing in the Army to drive extra buses. Wouldn't solve the problem, but would help.

And there are already public sector* roles in this country where it is, in effect, illegal to strike. Why aren't you complaining about that?

*It's arguable, but mostly true

Please do tell.

Banning strikes does not mean an employee can't walk out on their employer.
Original post by Aceadria
Banning strikes does not mean an employee can't walk out on their employer.

Well, yes it does.
Reply 5
Well, yes it does.

No, it means they can't walk out and then expect to walk in again a few days later.

They'll be perfectly able to quit.
Original post by Drewski
No, it means they can't walk out and then expect to walk in again a few days later.

They'll be perfectly able to quit.

And if they walk out without quitting? Right wing nut jobs saying these people should be prosecuted essentially.
(edited 7 years ago)
Unions need to be made weaker they have too much power and have overstretched their powers.
Essential services shoud be heavily punished for striking, these bloody drivers and conductors have screwed over so many people. Southern should fire them all if they refuse to come back to work, but sadly these workers hold too much power.

Workers and unions should never have this much power
Original post by AperfectBalance
Unions need to be made weaker they have too much power and have overstretched their powers.
*Essential services shoud be heavily punished for striking, these bloody drivers and conductors have screwed over so many people. **Southern should fire them all if they refuse to come back to work, but sadly these workers hold too much power.

***Workers and unions should never have this much power

*I'm actually fine with employers having the right to fire workers who walk out on them. But what exactly do you plan to do when 50% walk out on you? :wink:

**I'm curious what exactly you mean?

***If I meet up with my work mates in a pub and we all collectively decide to tell our employer to go **** himself, that's our prerogative. I thought right wingers hated big government? Ha.
I don't think that they should be prosecuted but in my mind walking out is quitting. I think a reserve London force for TfL would be a good idea, where Londoners are trained and come in as reservists when the rest of TfL decides to bring London to a standstill (my employer was all over the idea). I ran ten miles to work on Monday so this is all a bit raw admittedly, and if I didn't do that then I would have been sacked. Transport is an essential service, just like the police and the Army, so it really defeats me why they are allowed to strike. The average train driver earns £50k a year as well :curious: truly amazing
Original post by epsilondelta
I don't think that they should be prosecuted but in my mind walking out is quitting. I think a reserve London force for TfL would be a good idea, where Londoners are trained and come in as reservists when the rest of TfL decides to bring London to a standstill (my employer was all over the idea). I ran ten miles to work on Monday so this is all a bit raw admittedly, and if I didn't do that then I would have been sacked. Transport is an essential service, just like the police and the Army, so it really defeats me why they are allowed to strike. The average train driver earns £50k a year as well :curious: truly amazing

So they should be forced to keep working if they don't want to then?
So they should be forced to keep working if they don't want to then?

Of course not. They should go and work elsewhere, just like everyone else does if they don't want to work their job anymore
*I'm actually fine with employers having the right to fire workers who walk out on them. But what exactly do you plan to do when 50% walk out on you? :wink:

**I'm curious what exactly you mean?

***If I meet up with my work mates in a pub and we all collectively decide to tell our employer to go **** himself, that's our prerogative. I thought right wingers hated big government? Ha.

Exactly the workers hold too much power and unions give them a lot of the power. unfortunatly there is not too much that can be done appeasing them is bad. possibly raising their taxes and making sure they get no bonus but even then It is tricky.

I dislike a big government yes, but I like a goverment that is efficent and does the things it needs to do well. I do not support no government.
Of course not. They should go and work elsewhere, just like everyone else does if they don't want to work their job anymore

And if they walk out without quitting?
Reply 14
Public service strikes should be illegal. Its immoral and selfish to strike when your job is so important for thousands of people Junior doctors, firefighters, train drivers etc. Im in the army and i cant strike because we do a vital service it should be the same for all public services.
Original post by NI30241834
Public service strikes should be illegal. Its immoral and selfish to strike when your job is so important for thousands of people Junior doctors, firefighters, train drivers etc. Im in the army and i cant strike because we do a vital service it should be the same for all public services.

And if 50% of your workforce walk out without quitting?
And if they walk out without quitting?

That just doesn't exist. I am truly amazed they still behave in the brattish way that they do, given the degree of overpay that they receive. As I posted on another thread:

Train drivers are paid just under £50,000 per year.
A junior doctor does 3-4 years at medical school unpaid, does an F1 year on £26,350, F2 year on £30,500, starts after that on a salary of £36,100 and over a few years progresses to £47,750. After a few more years it might increase up to £70k.
Teachers do 4 years at university unpaid, then are paid 22-28k as a newly qualified teacher depending on where they live (inner, mid- or outer london). A tube driver earns more than some headteachers.
The average soldier earns 27.5k and a Captain (!) earns 42k
The average nurse earns just over £23k per year

I mean...really. There are some strikes such as the doctor's strikes that I wholeheartedly support, but TfL unions are so far removed from reality it's painful.
That just doesn't exist

"That" is literally what striking is. Again, if they walk out without quitting?

Nice try with the "argumentum ad passiones"
Reply 18
And if 50% of your workforce walk out without quitting?

Then bring in others who are willing to do the work until the workforce see that their behavior is unacceptable.
Original post by NI30241834
Then bring in others who are willing to do the work until the workforce see that their behavior is unacceptable.

I can't think of one sector where a 50% loss overnight would be manageable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending