The Student Room Group

Doubts about accepting my Oxford Offer

I reapplied to Oxford this year and got in - having finished school already my offer is unconditional.
I feel stupid for now asking myself if Oxford is right for me - but oh well. Maybe it's just panic? I am also international which makes things a bit harder.
It's not the academic side I am concerned about, it's the social side and "fitting in" in general... Is anybody else feeling like that? Is it normal to wonder if Oxford is actually the right place? Should I not go to Oxford if I am having doubts so early?
Original post by scblx
I reapplied to Oxford this year and got in - having finished school already my offer is unconditional.
I feel stupid for now asking myself if Oxford is right for me - but oh well. Maybe it's just panic? I am also international which makes things a bit harder.
It's not the academic side I am concerned about, it's the social side and "fitting in" in general... Is anybody else feeling like that? Is it normal to wonder if Oxford is actually the right place? Should I not go to Oxford if I am having doubts so early?

A lot of oxford students feel that way. Don't let that stop you going.
Am I misrecalling or did you re-apply after missing out one year? If so, I'd say that shows some commitment and it would seem odd to me to let a few nerves and perhaps the normal emotional let down after all the stress leading up to Offer day to dissuade you from something you've worked so hard to achieve.You'll be absolutely fine.
Reply 3
Original post by scblx

I am at Oxford right now in my first year and I think that it is possible to find a niche, no matter your hobbies. If you like clubbing, you'll find stuff for that (albeit, less than bigger cities). Or if you have some obscure niche hobby, theres probably already a society for it (for perspective, there's a Gregorian chant society.) Also, there's things that you might never have had the chance to do before, such as polo or archery. There's nothing particularly special about Oxford in terms of the social side. It's hard work and students are generally busier than at other universities perhaps, but people still find time for social stuff.
I think most people find that socially people are a lot more similar to you that pre-uni (intelligent, academic interests, able to talk about things other than football/x-factor etc) and fitting in is not a problem.

What are your specific concerns? Why would you not fit in, in your mind?
Original post by scblx

Doubts are normal. There's always going to be some degree of fear and uncertainty when you're doing something new, especially if it's somewhat out of your comfort zone.

I actually think the Oxford system makes it easier to be social. Having colleges means that you can try out different activities even if you are inexperienced or not particularly good because college level teams generally aren't as competitive/ demanding. Colleges also offer an in-built cosier and smaller community within the greater university.

On the other hand, the university offers a ton of activities - you name it, they probably have it, and if there isn't one, you can always start a new society. University level societies and events are also a great way to meet people across year groups and subjects.

As an international, it will be more difficult to integrate because of the cultural gap. I'm international myself, and I remember having to ask my Brit friends what stuff like "toad in the hole" is or about pop culture references. That being said, Oxonians in general are a curious, intelligent, friendly and open-minded bunch. Most freshers will be in the same position as you - they've just moved to a new place where they don't really know anyone and are probably just as nervous about making friends. It's fairly easy to befriend others as long as you're nice, and people usually settle in just fine. Also, depending on how strong your country network is at Oxford (mine was pretty strong), that's an in-built group of friends too.
Original post by scblx

We would suggest asking to re-visit the college accepting you and also the relevant department before deciding. You have plenty of time before confirming on UCAS and do not, therefore, have to decide immediately. Bear in mind that once declined, an offer cannot usually be taken up again (since your place will probably be given to an Open Offer holder). Another reason, therefore, to take some time to reflect first.
Reply 7
Original post by scblx

Could you please elaborate on what you did to improve your application in order to be accepted the second time around? I am considering reapplying as well and any bit of advice of a more experienced person would be appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending