The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen Primary PGDE Interview

I have an upcoming interview for the PGDE Primary course at the University of Aberdeen. I have been asked to do a five minute presentation and was wondering if anyone has previously done this presentation? If so what exactly did you do/ do you have any tips?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caroline Adams
I have an upcoming interview for the PGDE Primary course at the University of Aberdeen. I have been asked to do a five minute presentation and was wondering if anyone has previously done this presentation? If so what exactly did you do/ do you have any tips?

Hi Caroline, I'm doing the same interview! Hope somebody replies! Have you applied for anywhere else? :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Ditto here. Have you been given the accepted topic yet? Literacy, Numeracy and Well Being?
Original post by Hades112
Ditto here. Have you been given the accepted topic yet? Literacy, Numeracy and Well Being?

Yeah I have! How are you getting on with it?
Reply 4
Original post by nenakenny
Yeah I have! How are you getting on with it?

It is still in its infancy stages just now. I feel a bit more confident having a clear goal and topic top work to though. If I was to have to choose a topic I think I might find it a bit more challenging. Not that I think this will not be challenging but in a different way if that makes sense?

I think the main areas for discussion is that after parents then teachers have the single greatest amount of time with young people and therefore the best opportunity to influence learning and behaviour. 27.5 hours class time per week on average. Although no strategy should exist in isolation, it still needs other agencies to support alongside parents to offer any young person the best opportunities to succeed in life. All of this work is not just for this generation but for future generations through the positive development that these young people can pass on.

I will include other examples of the benefits a good understanding in Literacy, Numeracy and Wellbeing will bring to a person, family, economy and country.

Sounds easy eh???????? :wink: How about you?

Colin

Why do you think that the Scottish Government have identified the curricular areas of Literacy, Numeracy and Health & Wellbeing as the responsibility of all Teachers?
It is still in its infancy stages just now. I feel a bit more confident having a clear goal and topic top work to though. If I was to have to choose a topic I think I might find it a bit more challenging. Not that I think this will not be challenging but in a different way if that makes sense?

I think the main areas for discussion is that after parents then teachers have the single greatest amount of time with young people and therefore the best opportunity to influence learning and behaviour. 27.5 hours class time per week on average. Although no strategy should exist in isolation, it still needs other agencies to support alongside parents to offer any young person the best opportunities to succeed in life. All of this work is not just for this generation but for future generations through the positive development that these young people can pass on.

I will include other examples of the benefits a good understanding in Literacy, Numeracy and Wellbeing will bring to a person, family, economy and country.

Sounds easy eh???????? :wink: How about you?

Colin

Why do you think that the Scottish Government have identified the curricular areas of Literacy, Numeracy and Health & Wellbeing as the responsibility of all Teachers?

Same as yourself, it's pretty much still in its infancy stage. It's good to have a topic to guide you!

I was planning on using similar examples, its benefits for the country and economy and the wellbeing and confidence for the individual themselves.

When is your interview? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Same as yourself, it's pretty much still in its infancy stage. It's good to have a topic to guide you!

I was planning on using similar examples, its benefits for the country and economy and the wellbeing and confidence for the individual themselves.

When is your interview? :smile:

17th Jan although I am in for Secondary. When is yours?
25th for Primary! Did you apply for anywhere else?
Reply 8
25th for Primary! Did you apply for anywhere else?

I am afraid this is just the one for me although I have Joint Honours so have applied for multiple courses at Aberdeen. Being older with a family and living in Inverness I am some what restricted in where I can study/travel to.
I am afraid this is just the one for me although I have Joint Honours so have applied for multiple courses at Aberdeen. Being older with a family and living in Inverness I am some what restricted in where I can study/travel to.

Fair enough! Wishing you all the best of luck for your interview! :smile:
Fair enough! Wishing you all the best of luck for your interview! :smile:

Where else have you applied to? UHI also does Primary nowadays too. Many thanks for the good wishes and I hope you get in too.
Where else have you applied to? UHI also does Primary nowadays too. Many thanks for the good wishes and I hope you get in too.

I've applied to UWS, Strathclyde (rejected), Edinburgh, and Glasgow as well as Aberdeen.
What subjects are you hoping to teach?
Original post by Caroline Adams

How are you getting on with your presentation? :smile:
I was running my thoughts past a Principal Teacher this evening and he thought I hit most of the points. He was quite impressed that I was going to take the discussion beyond the current generation as he agreed that teaching is about investing in the future.

I am hoping to do History and Modern Studies but would settle for either really. I have a friend who did the same course a couple of years ago and now he teaches History, Geography and Modern Studies at a small high school on the Western Isles. He also helps out with other subjects as and when they are short.

I guess that flexibility and a can do attitude need to be the watchwords of the future for teachers too.

Why did you choose Primary?
I was running my thoughts past a Principal Teacher this evening and he thought I hit most of the points. He was quite impressed that I was going to take the discussion beyond the current generation as he agreed that teaching is about investing in the future.

I am hoping to do History and Modern Studies but would settle for either really. I have a friend who did the same course a couple of years ago and now he teaches History, Geography and Modern Studies at a small high school on the Western Isles. He also helps out with other subjects as and when they are short.

I guess that flexibility and a can do attitude need to be the watchwords of the future for teachers too.

Why did you choose Primary?

Primary has been in my head for a long time. During school I completed work experience in a couple of national schools because I was interested in the career. I've just grown up with the belief that knowledge is power and I admired my teachers, how knowledgeable they were and their passion. I didn't get enough points first time round to do the course here so I'm hoping this will work out
Primary has been in my head for a long time. During school I completed work experience in a couple of national schools because I was interested in the career. I've just grown up with the belief that knowledge is power and I admired my teachers, how knowledgeable they were and their passion. I didn't get enough points first time round to do the course here so I'm hoping this will work out

By points does this mean you have been through this interview process before? If so, what was it like?

I discovered the bug whilst mentoring a few folks through the same degree course I was on a few years back. I got a real thrill helping people learn and taking pleasure in their success. I still stay in touch with some of them and they are in most doing very well.

I have discovered that I have no cue cards so its time to go shopping!
By points does this mean you have been through this interview process before? If so, what was it like?

I discovered the bug whilst mentoring a few folks through the same degree course I was on a few years back. I got a real thrill helping people learn and taking pleasure in their success. I still stay in touch with some of them and they are in most doing very well.

I have discovered that I have no cue cards so its time to go shopping!

Oh no, sorry. I meant grades. We calculate our grades for overall points and I didn't have enough to go into undergrad Primary initially.
Oh no, sorry. I meant grades. We calculate our grades for overall points and I didn't have enough to go into undergrad Primary initially.

I understand. Phew, I thought they were using a points scoring system. I am sure we are scored but that makes me feel a bit better.

I have a series of cue cards which will contain bullet points and guidance. At the moment the plan is to do 15- 20 seconds per point and have 4-5 cards. I know 5 minutes is a short time but it can also feel quite long too. I Have to keep reminding myself I have done this year after year at Uni and every other day at work. But honestly it has never felt so important if that makes sense?

I also hear that parking can be a nightmare and a local friend suggested parking at the local Aquatic Centre and walking as this might be easier. Only 500 metres or so he said.
I understand. Phew, I thought they were using a points scoring system. I am sure we are scored but that makes me feel a bit better.

I have a series of cue cards which will contain bullet points and guidance. At the moment the plan is to do 15- 20 seconds per point and have 4-5 cards. I know 5 minutes is a short time but it can also feel quite long too. I Have to keep reminding myself I have done this year after year at Uni and every other day at work. But honestly it has never felt so important if that makes sense?

I also hear that parking can be a nightmare and a local friend suggested parking at the local Aquatic Centre and walking as this might be easier. Only 500 metres or so he said.

Sounds like you have it very well thought out! Oh okay, thanks but I won't be driving. Staying in a B&B nearby!
Sounds like you have it very well thought out! Oh okay, thanks but I won't be driving. Staying in a B&B nearby!

B&B, sounds like a sensible plan. Where are you traveling from?

Planning is one thing I can do, now I have to deliver and that is a completely different ball game.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending