The Student Room Group

Double or Triple Science? HELP!!

My school has changed to the new gcse system (where grading is now 9-1) and since each subject is becoming much harder they are convincing us ALL to take double award instead of the triple award for AQA science. My school is adamant that if you take the double award it will be easier to achieve the top grades and that it is already hard enough since a level topics are now on the new specification. However I don't understand how the triple award (which has more content) IS NOT going to be more beneficial in the future. The new gcse is harder than ever, should i take the risk?
Anyone else's school changing to the new gcse? And if so, are you going to choose the double or triple award?
Original post by razzy02
My school has changed to the new gcse system (where grading is now 9-1) and since each subject is becoming much harder they are convincing us ALL to take double award instead of the triple award for AQA science. My school is adamant that if you take the double award it will be easier to achieve the top grades and that it is already hard enough since a level topics are now on the new specification. However I don't understand how the triple award (which has more content) IS NOT going to be more beneficial in the future. The new gcse is harder than ever, should i take the risk?
Anyone else's school changing to the new gcse? And if so, are you going to choose the double or triple award?

Hiya,

I know it's a long way off but are you thinking about doing science at A-level? Do you enjoy science? I did triple science but obviously on the old syste. I found that as I was revising for science anyway it wasn't that much harder to do the extra triple unit as it just follows on from the additional units. It gives a good foundation for A-Level science and there was much less work involved than doing additional science + another GCSE option. :smile:
Quadruple.
Reply 3
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,

I know it's a long way off but are you thinking about doing science at A-level? Do you enjoy science? I did triple science but obviously on the old syste. I found that as I was revising for science anyway it wasn't that much harder to do the extra triple unit as it just follows on from the additional units. It gives a good foundation for A-Level science and there was much less work involved than doing additional science + another GCSE option. :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply!! I'm not too sure if i will take science at a-level but if i did it would most likely be chemistry. However i most likely wont go on to a scientific career but if I did take triple, i understand that it would give me a better foundation :smile:
If you don't want to go on to do science at A-level I would advice taking double award science as it is a bit easier with less modules than triple, I took triple and found myself with loads more work than people doing double and had to work much harder to achieve the grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Courtneysmithy8
If you don't want to go on to do science at A-level I would advice taking double award science as it is a bit easier with less modules than triple, I took triple and found myself with loads more work than people doing double and had to work much harder to achieve the grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much harder was it? And did you achieve high grades?
Reply 6
If you're willing to put the work in and you enjoy the subject, go for triple. (In my opinion as someone who is also sitting the new spec, it's not too hard as long as you actually put in time for revision).
Original post by streetdude28
How much harder was it? And did you achieve high grades?
it's similar level stuff but obviously double the modules so much more work to take in, I achieved good grades but I put in the work, where a lot of people didn't do so good because they thought it would be easy
Original post by Courtneysmithy8
it's similar level stuff but obviously double the modules so much more work to take in, I achieved good grades but I put in the work, where a lot of people didn't do so good because they thought it would be easy

thanks
There's only one class for triple science in my school and at least 80% of my class doesn't seem to want to be there. I absolutely love it but I've always loved science, so only do it if you actually like science. Don't just do it because it may be considered prestigious, but if you want to do it for A-levels then definitely take it. I would say only take if you are considering it for A-levels.
Original post by MooCowMilkshake
Quadruple.

You say that (I'm assuming) as a joke, but considering I did Computer Science as well as Bio, Chem and Physics I actually did do four :tongue:
At my school, when I was doing GCSE's they kind of broke it down like this.

- If you want to do something science related, or feel like you can get the grades, do triple.
- If you don't want to do something science related, or just want to ease the pressure a bit, do double.
And anyone who did BTEC was kind of under the category of 'they seriously don't want to do science, but took BTEC because they have to', which may have been unfair, but considering the number of lessons I walked past and they were on the laptops (and knowing the people, likely doing absolutely nothing), I don't know.
I don't know if you guys even have the option of doing BTEC (last year at my school they didn't offer it, so take from that what you will), but that was pretty much how they broke it down.

Now, I'm in year 12, so I finished my GCSEs last year (having done triple) and I think that if you are willing to put in the effort to do your best, and you want to, then do it.
If you want to do double just because someone else wants you to, then don't.

I understand that GCSEs are getting harder, I have a sister currently in year 10, so I can see the worry that it'll be more than you can deal with, but everyone has to do the new spec, and that is an important point. Grade boundaries are drawn up based on the results that everyone gets, so it's not like people that could have got A* before are going to get getting 5s.

All in all, do what you want to do. Don't do it because the school want you to, do it because you're thinking about your future and what you want to be doing for the next two years. The above word vomit was my way of (hopefully) trying to help that process.

Good luck!
if you want to do some career/higher stuff which is science related, take triple. otherwise tho uni's dont really look at if its double or triple
Original post by razzy02

If you want to do science related job in the future, triple is for you But if you're going to take another route, double award is for you.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by computernerd1001
You say that (I'm assuming) as a joke, but considering I did Computer Science as well as Bio, Chem and Physics I actually did do four :tongue:

That's badass :wink:
If you want to do science at A level do triple. Otherwise double is fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest