The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Anyone attending DMU in Sept and commuting?

I've just confirmed my offer and will be starting in september. Just wondering if anyone else is starting and if you're commuting aswell. And where from? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm 99% sure I am going to firm with them I will be commuting to Leicester as well and coming from Peterborough

Posted from TSR Mobile
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by TiffToff9
I've just confirmed my offer and will be starting in september. Just wondering if anyone else is starting and if you're commuting aswell. And where from? :smile:

Hi,

I'm a graduate from De Montfort University and for the entire time (3 years), I commuted from Wellingborough, Northamptonshire. It wasn't that bad; 30-35 minutes on the train & 15 minutes from getting from the station to the campus.
The 6pm finishes were a pain but they were few & far between, and most of the time they let us out early anyway.

If you're quite local to DMU it is better to commute as it will be cheaper, and it's not much of a chore!
Reply 3
Original post by lorelei80
I'm 99% sure I am going to firm with them I will be commuting to Leicester as well and coming from Peterborough

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, so your around the same distance away as me (Birmingham) Do you mind me asking what course you're studying if you attend?
Reply 4
Original post by spotify95
Hi,

I'm a graduate from De Montfort University and for the entire time (3 years), I commuted from Wellingborough, Northamptonshire. It wasn't that bad; 30-35 minutes on the train & 15 minutes from getting from the station to the campus.
The 6pm finishes were a pain but they were few & far between, and most of the time they let us out early anyway.

If you're quite local to DMU it is better to commute as it will be cheaper, and it's not much of a chore!

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply :smile:

I plan to drive in which is about 45 minutes (as i want to use park and ride) and for my course I'm only in 8 hours per week so hopefully it will be no more than two days a week!

As you commuted, did you find it hard making friends in your first year?
Reply 5
Forensic science. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by lorelei80
Forensic science. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool, I'm doing education studies. Whats your other uni choices you're considering?

I plan to drive in which is about 45 minutes (as i want to use park and ride) and for my course I'm only in 8 hours per week so hopefully it will be no more than two days a week!

No worries :smile:

Car parking on campus is extremely limited, there are car parks in Leicester City Center but I don't know how expensive they are (or how busy they get).
parking outside Leicester City Center and using a Park & Ride system should be better.

8 hours per week should only mean 2 days per week, unless your lectures/tutorials etc are scattered all over everywhere, in which case you'll have to ask to see if they can be rescheduled - I successfully managed to get a 4-day week changed to a 3-day week in my final year as there was one day with only 1 session!

Nope, I didn't have trouble with that, I got to know everyone in my class and made friends quite nicely :smile:
Reply 8
Anglia ruskin in Cambridge is my other choice. It appears that ARU had more chemistry content but if DMU have the same content (the website is not very specific) then I will go with then. They are both the same distance so it doesn't make that much difference but I just want to enjoy the course as much as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

In terms of the park and ride, it will probably be worth you getting a more long term ticket as this would work out cheaper, or a something like a '10 use' ticket. Also, I know this goes without saying, but make sure to give yourself plenty of time to get to uni, as Leicester can get quite congested, especially in the mornings.

Another thing, don't be completely set on the first timetable you are given, more lectures/workshops/tutorials ect could be added in :h:
Reply 10
No worries :smile:

Car parking on campus is extremely limited, there are car parks in Leicester City Center but I don't know how expensive they are (or how busy they get).
parking outside Leicester City Center and using a Park & Ride system should be better.

8 hours per week should only mean 2 days per week, unless your lectures/tutorials etc are scattered all over everywhere, in which case you'll have to ask to see if they can be rescheduled - I successfully managed to get a 4-day week changed to a 3-day week in my final year as there was one day with only 1 session!

Nope, I didn't have trouble with that, I got to know everyone in my class and made friends quite nicely :smile:

Yeah a few threads on here did mention lack of parking and the park & ride popped up a few times. £3 a day is really good (i expect cheaper than city centre car parks, but assume it can get full quickly)

It's good to know they were accomodating. I can imagine having to get an extra days train tickets for 1 session would be pretty annoying lol.

Ahh thats good then. Thanks for the insight, it's been really helpful :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by KaylaB
In terms of the park and ride, it will probably be worth you getting a more long term ticket as this would work out cheaper, or a something like a '10 use' ticket. Also, I know this goes without saying, but make sure to give yourself plenty of time to get to uni, as Leicester can get quite congested, especially in the mornings.

Another thing, don't be completely set on the first timetable you are given, more lectures/workshops/tutorials ect could be added in :h:

Hey Kayla,

Thanks for the insight. I did consider the 10 use ticket, easier and like you said cheaper in the longrun. Don't worry, living in bham I'm use to the ridiculous traffic lol, but thank you. My cars sat nav is pretty good in terms of updating for live traffic. Much as i would love the '30 minute usual traffic' journey, i suspect it will be longer.

Ahh. I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully though as long as it's added onto days I'm already in it won't be too bad. I was going to move into private halls but the lack of hours made me choose to stay home so it hopefully stays quite similar :smile:
Reply 12
Hey Kayla,

Thanks for the insight. I did consider the 10 use ticket, easier and like you said cheaper in the longrun. Don't worry, living in bham I'm use to the ridiculous traffic lol, but thank you. My cars sat nav is pretty good in terms of updating for live traffic. Much as i would love the '30 minute usual traffic' journey, i suspect it will be longer.

Ahh. I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully though as long as it's added onto days I'm already in it won't be too bad. I was going to move into private halls but the lack of hours made me choose to stay home so it hopefully stays quite similar :smile:

No problem :h:

And I'm not too sure if it's the same at DMU, as I go to UoL, but your timetable also changes a bit between semesters.

Also if you did consider moving into private halls, Leicester is actually quite cheap for student renting (at least compared to London that is, not too sure about Birmingham though)
I'm going to UoL next year not sure if to commute or not. It will take me half hour to get there. I've not really got anyone to live with, it's for my final year of uni. :frown:
Yeah a few threads on here did mention lack of parking and the park & ride popped up a few times. £3 a day is really good (i expect cheaper than city centre car parks, but assume it can get full quickly)

It's good to know they were accomodating. I can imagine having to get an extra days train tickets for 1 session would be pretty annoying lol.

Ahh thats good then. Thanks for the insight, it's been really helpful :smile:

From what other DMU commuters told me (who commuted by car) the car parking was more than £3 per day, so the park and ride option is much better in that respect. Don't know how full the park&ride gets or what times the connecting buses are.

It would have been annoying coming in for 1 or 2 hours, especially when I was paying £14 per day for a peak train ticket (with railcard discount).

No worries, glad to have helped :smile:
Original post by Nottsstudent96
I'm going to UoL next year not sure if to commute or not. It will take me half hour to get there. I've not really got anyone to live with, it's for my final year of uni. :frown:

if its only half an hour then it is definitely commutable; if it is cheaper to commute then go for it. especially if you haven't got anyone to live with at the accommodation in leicester/near campus.

Original post by KaylaB

And I'm not too sure if it's the same at DMU, as I go to UoL, but your timetable also changes a bit between semesters.

Also if you did consider moving into private halls, Leicester is actually quite cheap for student renting (at least compared to London that is, not too sure about Birmingham though)

I was in DMU and the timetable generally didn't change, unless there was something like having to be in different rooms in alternating weeks.

I think Leicester is reasonably priced in terms of accommodation but commuting (especially if you live not to far away) will be cheaper.
Reply 16

Will it be cheaper for you to commute? If it is, as it's your final year maybe commuting is better so that you can save part of your student finance to help you out when you finish and are looking for/starting a new job?
Reply 17

Hiya :wavey: UoL allow students of any year of study to apply to stay in halls if that's a more appealing option for you. There's usually 2nd/3rd years mixed flats or whatever so you won't be stuck with freshers. Private accommodation is also fairly cheap, you could also look for spare rooms or whatever online.

A guy on my course commutes from Nottingham everyday and while he usually makes it in on time, as the train station is only a 15 min walk away, it's just when we have group projects that he can't really commit the time and won't be available ect, just something to note. but just do what's best for you :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
I was in DMU and the timetable generally didn't change, unless there was something like having to be in different rooms in alternating weeks.

I think Leicester is reasonably priced in terms of accommodation but commuting (especially if you live not to far away) will be cheaper.

Yeah my timetable changes a fair bit, not only do the rooms change almost every week, but new things are added or removed :rolleyes:

Buy I agree, if you're not coming from too far, commuting is the cheaper option
Reply 19
Original post by KaylaB

Ahh I will definitely keep that in mind then. Yeah the accomodation prices are good in Leicester but i think i'll stick to commuting and then if i don't enjoy it, for the 2nd year i can change

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending