The Student Room Group

studying as a private candidate?

So I got kicked out of college recently for bad attendance and I hate the fact that i might have to stay a year behind everyone else to catch up therefore I was wondering if I could just work really hard, self teach and take the A2 exams in 2018 alongside everyone else? Can you do this or am I just confused?
Original post by m15ax
So I got kicked out of college recently for bad attendance and I hate the fact that i might have to stay a year behind everyone else to catch up therefore I was wondering if I could just work really hard, self teach and take the A2 exams in 2018 alongside everyone else? Can you do this or am I just confused?

You can certainly sit the exams as a private candidate if you can find a centre that will take you for them. The fees for doing 3 lots of A level exams could be very high. You need to start your search for them now because any entries for this years exams will be done in February, you are less likely to find a centre and you will pay a much higher price if you are late. If any of your A levels include assessed coursework or practical exams that have not yet been completed it will be very hard/expensive to sort these out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
You can certainly sit the exams as a private candidate if you can find a centre that will take you for them. The fees for doing 3 lots of A2 exams could be very high. You need to start your search for them now because entries will be done in February, you are less likely to find a centre and you will pay a much higher price if you are late. If any of your A levels include assessed coursework or practical exams that have not yet been completed it will be very hard/expensive to sort these out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see, thank you. Also do you think I might have to do an apprenticeship on the side as I am 16 years old and must be in some sort of education?
Original post by m15ax
I see, thank you. Also do you think I might have to do an apprenticeship on the side as I am 16 years old and must be in some sort of education?

You could look into declaring yourself "home schooled" other people do so but i don't know very much about it, but I wonder if you are being realistic about your aptitude and motivation to complete A levels on your own??

Posted from TSR Mobile
PLEASE start now. Centres have deadlines and its normally START of Feb or even late JAN. Just google exam centres near you but it would be better if you could call them. ASK THEM THESE QUESTIONS

1) ASK them the COST of ALL of your exams. ASK for the COST of individual units
2) Don't forget COURSEWORK prices and be aware not all centres do coursework/practicals
3) ASK about the deadline to give the money in
4) Find out how to get there
5) ALSO, because you'll be travelling there (if its a bit far) travel first and see how long it takes because you don't want to be late when exam season comes round. (You'll do this anyway when you pay them)

START now. good luck!
Reply 5
You could look into declaring yourself "home schooled" other people do so but i don't know very much about it, but I wonder if you are being realistic about your aptitude and motivation to complete A levels on your own??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I understand it will be very hard to do but it is something I am confident I can achieve with the right amount of effort. I've found that I work better alone than in a classroom anyway and I'd rather do this than spend an extra year in college. Oh yeah and one more thing if i apply for these A2 exams, would i need to do any AS exams at the end of this school year or do I just study everything and do the exams mid 2018 with everyone else?
Original post by m15ax
Yeah I understand it will be very hard to do but it is something I am confident I can achieve with the right amount of effort. I've found that I work better alone than in a classroom anyway and I'd rather do this than spend an extra year in college. Oh yeah and one more thing if i apply for these A2 exams, would i need to do any AS exams at the end of this school year or do I just study everything and do the exams mid 2018 with everyone else?

You don't have to do any AS exams if your subjects are the new updated ones. You do if they are subjects that have not yet changed(e.g. Maths). Not doing them would be a financial saving BUT you would lose a great chance to test yourself and see if your approach to self study was working. If you were planning on an application to university in the year you complete the A levels, having the AS results to back up your predicted grades could be advantageous for a private candidate doing a private UCAS application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
You don't have to do any AS exams if your subjects are the new updated ones. You do if they are subjects that have not yet changed(e.g. Maths). Not doing them would be a financial saving BUT you would lose a great chance to test yourself and see if your approach to self study was working. If you were planning on an application to university in the year you complete the A levels, having the AS results to back up your predicted grades could be advantageous for a private candidate doing a private UCAS application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh okay. I guess I'll do some more research and see what is best for me but thank you so much for your help and advice, really helped out! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by years101
PLEASE start now. Centres have deadlines and its normally START of Feb or even late JAN. Just google exam centres near you but it would be better if you could call them. ASK THEM THESE QUESTIONS

2) Don't forget COURSEWORK prices and be aware not all centres do coursework/practicals
5) ALSO, because you'll be travelling there (if its a bit far) travel first and see how long it takes because you don't want to be late when exam season comes round. (You'll do this anyway when you pay them)

START now. good luck!

Alright thank you very much! I live in London so finding a centre shouldn't be too difficult!
Reply 9
Original post by years101

START now. good luck!

Hi do you do As Law? because i would like to ask you some questions that i need hhelp with, if you do please let me know thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by m15ax
Alright thank you very much! I live in London so finding a centre shouldn't be too difficult!

Hi what are you studying??? im a private candiate tooo!!!!
Original post by Pyschh
Hi do you do As Law? because i would like to ask you some questions that i need hhelp with, if you do please let me know thanks in advance :smile:

I'm afraid I don't. You can pm me for any othet advice
Best of luck
Hey what exams are you doing and are you in london? How much did you have to pay?

Quick Reply