The Student Room Group

Three a levels for Harvard?

Hey - opinions please :smile:

I was looking into Harvard Law school - currently in year 12 - opinions on just studying three AS levels/A levels?

(Remembering A levels are now linear, no point in my mind doing a fourth AS.)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Drewwww
Hey - opinions please :smile:

I was looking into Harvard Law school - currently in year 12 - opinions on just studying three AS levels/A levels?

(Remembering A levels are now linear, no point in my mind doing a fourth AS.)

You must be on drugs if you think you can get into harvard law with three a levels.
Reply 3
Its possible, try Sutton trust. I heard 3 a levels = 9 aps, you may have to do sats too idk
Reply 4
I always thought a lot of Oxbridge applicants have 4 or even more A Levels; I dread to think of the insane amount of work you'd have to do to get into arguably the best law school in the globe
Reply 5
Original post by JooW
I always thought a lot of Oxbridge applicants have 4 or even more A Levels; I dread to think of the insane amount of work you'd have to do to get into arguably the best law school in the globe

no, a levels are becoming linear now, no 4th as
Reply 6
A-levels are indeed linear, but that does not mean OP's sixth form or college will not make the OP take their AS exams anyway.

I did AS-levels in 2015-2016 (a.k.a. the first year of linear A-levels) and my college made everyone take AS exams. The purpose of this was to see how everyone did in the real exams. Anyone who got less than D in a subject was forced to drop that subject at AS. So, if you get E in maths in the AS exams which do not even count towards your final grade anymore, you are not allowed to take maths to A2.

I know someone who applied for law at Oxford with not four, not five, not six, but SEVEN A-LEVELS. I would say a minimum of four is necessary for Harvard.

That being said, American universities put a lot more emphasis on extracurriculars than British ones, which is worth noting.
Law in America isn't transferable with British Law. Unless you intend to work and live in the US, you'd need to do Law in Britian or probably a conversion course before you move onto law school and then a job.
Reply 8
Original post by Michiyo
A-levels are indeed linear, but that does not mean OP's sixth form or college will not make the OP take their AS exams anyway.

I did AS-levels in 2015-2016 (a.k.a. the first year of linear A-levels) and my college made everyone take AS exams. The purpose of this was to see how everyone did in the real exams. Anyone who got less than D in a subject was forced to drop that subject at AS. So, if you get E in maths in the AS exams which do not even count towards your final grade anymore, you are not allowed to take maths to A2.

I know someone who applied for law at Oxford with not four, not five, not six, but SEVEN A-LEVELS. I would say a minimum of four is necessary for Harvard.

That being said, American universities put a lot more emphasis on extracurriculars than British ones, which is worth noting.

Ok thanks for clarifying, i only did 3 as levels at my college last year as it was the most they offered. Ive only heard of students in china doing 5 or more a levels as their teaching system is more exam based to get highest possible grade unlike ours with more practical application
Reply 9
Original post by jkoo18
Ok thanks for clarifying, i only did 3 as levels at my college last year as it was the most they offered. Ive only heard of students in china doing 5 or more a levels as their teaching system is more exam based to get highest possible grade unlike ours with more practical application

The person I know who did seven A-levels is a UK student.

Hmm, maybe self-study another AS or A-level and sign up for it as a private candidate?
Hi I'm currently doing GCSEs and have predicted grades of mainly 9s I am thinking about taking 7 A levels next year (economics, politics, history, DT, maths, further maths and french). I would like to apply to MIT Sloan or Harvard to do economics. Did your friend manage to get several A*s?
I’m not sure if it’s the same at Harvard, but Oxbridge definitely only require 3 a levels, and will only make you an offer based on 3. I don’t see any reason why Harvard would have a problem if you have oxbridge level grades. You might have to take extra admissions tests though.

Quick Reply

Latest