The Student Room Group

My Daughter was rejected from Oxford. I came home to this...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by l'etranger
Because we have a generation of over-pampered middle class snowflakes who fail to deal with issues a mature person would have brushed off in a day.

This.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I got rejected and it caused a flare up of symptoms. But seeing the league table (where on one of them Durham is higher for music than Cam or Ox), the MSt course (which looks a lot more pleasing than the undergrad??) and hearing about the people who were rejected at 17 but who now teach there made me get over it.

There are people who are Syrian refugees, people with no access to education/employment, people who live in abusive homes. None of these people would be concerned about a 98.7% rank versus a 99% rated university. Over-pampered is the right word for it, considering how lucky most of us truly are.
Original post by stereoashhh
Lol are you joking? you were getting annoyed over a painting of... literally nothing. just a white space.

This thread is hilarious

No, I wasn't, that was my point.
I was wondering wtf that picture was, and after reading a few posts it looks like it's something called "abstract art". Ok.
http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/hein-invisible-moving-wall-t12757

My favourite exhibit last time I visited Tate Liverpool.

Genuinely hilarious work of art. Watching people realise that the wall had moved and wasn't a wall was brilliant.

Obviously not everyone will like every work of art. That's the point.

If art makes you feel revulsion (I'm looking at you Francis Bacon you creepy sick *******) then again - that might be the point.
I can understand why they might have rejected her if the course was art...
Reply 65
Original post by StephenWond3rboy
Yeah, I can understand abstract art may not be everyone's cup of chai.

But at the risk of being presumptuous, you can see what she is trying to do. The change of colours is her roller coaster emotion while she was reading the words in her rejection letter. White is elation, yellow is hope, the bright red is the gravity of rejection sinking in, blue is gloom, and black is despair. Each strip is placed excellently between changing colours.

There are fields in psychology entirely dedicated to how humans can map meanings into things that don't seem directly associated. Colour (black) and mood (sadness), Feelings (love, anger) and taste (sweet, bitter). It's great someone young can intuitively bring it out in art.

So it's a bit more complex than a toddler's scribbles.

But if that's not very interesting, we can at least agree that it's a productive way to deal with rejection.

Massive eye roll.

Sorry, I tried hard not to... but come on... I am sure you're probably right but art like this is so pretentious to me. How does anyone know whether the artist was actually thinking this, unless there's an actual formula, in whch case is it really that original? Each to their own I guess :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Moura
Massive eye roll.

Sorry, I tried hard not to... but come on... I am sure you're probably right but art like this is so pretentious to me. How does anyone know whether the artist was actually thinking this, unless there's an actual formula, in whch case is it really that original? Each to their own I guess :smile:

I'll keep this answer brief as I want to move on from this topic.

Originality does not have to arise from breaking templates. It can come entirely from re-arranging elements of known templates.

To take a simple example, you are asked to write an "original" essay for your coursework. The originality that is expected of you is not uncovering some new path-breaking field but just using your own language and expression to restate what is already known.

Juxtaposing feelings to colours is not new. Doing it to an oxford rejection letter is (or at least rare).
(edited 7 years ago)

Originality does not have to arise from breaking templates. It can come entirely from re-arranging elements of known templates.

To take a simple example, you are asked to write an "original" essay for your coursework. The originality that is expected of you is not uncovering some new path-breaking field but just using your own language and expression to restate what is already known.

Juxtaposing feelings to colours is not new. Doing it to an oxford rejection letter is (or at least rare).

Yeah but how do you know that she intended for those colours to represents those feelings?

Also, what fields in psychology?
Reply 68

Fair enough, I wouldn't critisise the girl who was rejected by Oxford, in fact I think it is quite an original way to treat a rejection letter. I think it's pretty cool. Better than just crumpling it up and crying in bed for a few hours.

I think I just struggle with respecting a lot of modern art as celebrated art, especially when people come up with long winded explanations for what it "means" that seem pretty contrived. I feel like half the time they're just doing it because they want to seem knowledgeable and show off to eachother. Honestly I walked around the Tate Modern once and half the stuff in there seemed so dumb and pointless. Maybe I just lack the type imagination that they inspire.

Also I'll never forget the day we went on a school trip to go see that lady poet that all school kids study, I can't remember her name, and someone asked her a long question about something we were all taught one of the lines in her poem meant... and she just said "No, I didn't mean any of that, there wasn't any special meaning behind that line lol*".

*ok she might not have said "lol"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Supernova91
This is exactly what Beyoncé did :love:

Beyonce's career is really taking off this year- one of my family is performing at a festival and Mrs Carter is on the bill too!
Original post by Twinpeaks
Yeah but how do you know that she intended for those colours to represents those feelings?

Also, what fields in psychology?

I know it only to the extent that it is common practice to use colours to express feelings.

But sure. If you want to be radically sceptical, you can always assume that she could be autistic and this a product of randomness, or whatever. :P I decided not to go down that rabbit hole and give her the benefit.

There is an entire field known as colour psychology, I believe. But relationship between art and brain is also studied under neuropsychology and by extension biology and evolution.

Original post by Moura

I think I just struggle with respecting a lot of modern art as celebrated art, especially when people come up with long winded explanations for what it "means" that seem pretty contrived. I feel like half the time they're just doing it because they want to seem knowledgeable and show off to eachother. Honestly I walked around the Tate Modern once and half the stuff in there seemed so dumb and pointless. Maybe I just lack the type imagination that they inspire.

Also I'll never forget the day we went on a school trip to go see that lady poet that all school kids study, I can't remember her name, and someone asked her a long question about something we were all taught one of the lines in her poem meant... and she just said "No, I didn't mean any of that, there wasn't any special meaning behind that line lol*".

*ok she might not have said "lol"

I don't disagree with anything you say. Modern art seems to be a very personal activity and there is always a risk of misinterpretation. And you are right to be sceptical about excessive philosophising of a piece of work.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 71
Are you sure that it is not a void frame?

It reminds me when I visited a modern art museum in a professional group. There were many strange works -- paintings and sculptures. A member of my group once asked the guide what was this artwork on the wall; the guide answered: "it's just a radiator". :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by CoolCavy
Hating on the OP is wrong as a) least she attempted to get in which takes courage and b) idc what people do as long as it doesn't affect others.
When it comes to modern art tho people have every right to criticise it as it is in the public domain and art should be talked about and debated as it is subjective, some things can be clever and i understand the concepts behind them but as someone doing art it annoys me that i have had to work my guts out just to produce stuff that an examiner would deem an A* whereas ostensibly some 'artist' can slap some paint on a canvas and call it art. Im not stupid ik there is a lot of thought process behind it and they have often qualified from institutes that do advocate more skilled art but just a thought.

Nonono, modern art is heavily copyrighted and you have to pay a lot to be allowed to reproduce the works, even in art textbooks.

Modern art is not about beauty or emotion, but how much will it be worth in 50 years?

I mean: http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/paintings/mark-rothko-orange-red-yellow-5559196-details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5559196&sid=7c44c486-ba94-4020-9693-1194251033f7
(edited 7 years ago)
This is awesome
I feel like this has turned into a discussion about the validity of modern art xDD
Original post by yudothis
I kept my Oxford rejection letter til I got an offer one from Cambridge 3 years later :smile:

Well done!x:biggrin:
Reply 76
Original post by AperfectBalance
Its crazy, modern abstract art is just a pile of junk

money *cough* laundering*cough*
Original post by Danny Dorito
While some people were elated this week with their decision from Oxford, some were left heartbroken.

Louisa Saunder's daughter had applied to Oxford, but had received a rejection letter. By the time Louisa had come home from work, her daughter had made this out of her rejection letter.

Personally I this is such a beautiful example of making lemonade out of lemons.

I don't get it, whats it meant to be?
Original post by Popsiclez
I don't get it, whats it meant to be?

Printed out email and some paint.
Original post by auburnstar
Printed out email and some paint.

Oh well..that's very impressive then?

Quick Reply

Latest