The Student Room Group

Are you serious?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tiger Rag
You've never had a period; so how the hell do you know what they feel like?

Men in this thread and the other have just said to take the pill or other medication and we'll be fine. if only it was that simple. It's not. And the pill has side effects.

(a) Testimony, (b) the opinions of actual medical professionals, (c) that a concept of 'pain' and 'cramps' exists in the male mind also ie we can appreciate the idea of something hurting.

I wasn't even aware the pill would stop periods, huh you learn something new every day. When you have a headache? take aspirin. Been in a serious car crash? Have morphine. Medicine is kind of the answer to a lot of pain related issues so its reasonable to suggest take a paracetamol and get on with it - how medically valid that is might be questionable but the base presumption is reasonable. I think most sensible peoples issue is the practicality as I outlined on my previous post. It should also be noted that if I break my leg I don't get paid for the time off, so why should any other relative debilitation (assuming it to even be that bad) have special treatment? You're asking for a change to the whole corporate culture.
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
(a) Testimony, (b) the opinions of actual medical professionals, (c) that a concept of 'pain' and 'cramps' exists in the male mind also ie we can appreciate the idea of something hurting.

I wasn't even aware the pill would stop periods, huh you learn something new every day. When you have a headache? take aspirin. Been in a serious car crash? Have morphine. Medicine is kind of the answer to a lot of pain related issues so its reasonable to suggest take a paracetamol and get on with it - how medically valid that is might be questionable but the base presumption is reasonable. I think most sensible peoples issue is the practicality as I outlined on my previous post. It should also be noted that if I break my leg I don't get paid for the time off, so why should any other relative debilitation (assuming it to even be that bad) have special treatment? You're asking for a change to the whole corporate culture.

The pill doesn't always stop periods. It hasn't stopped mine. Nor has it stopped the cramps.

Paracetamol does nothing. And neither does codeine.
The pill doesn't always stop periods. It hasn't stopped mine. Nor has it stopped the cramps.

Paracetamol does nothing. And neither does codeine.

Fair enough, I've got no idea in that regard so I'll take your word for it.

My question would still be how do you propose practically to organise this. And more importantly why can only one gender have an opinion on an issue to which the proposed solution affects everyone?
Original post by years101
? How am I a cool girl? Females overreact with everything and its ridiculous to say that we need a day off because we are bleeding lmao

This is ignorant. You are probably one of those girls that have it easy during periods so count yourself lucky. Others like me have it bad so stfu
(edited 7 years ago)
Fair enough, I've got no idea in that regard so I'll take your word for it.

My question would still be how do you propose practically to organise this. And more importantly why can only one gender have an opinion on an issue to which the proposed solution affects everyone?

Er, because it only affects one gender. Unless I'm missing something here and men do actually have periods?
Er, because it only affects one gender. Unless I'm missing something here and men do actually have periods?
Sexist pig
Original post by loveleest
This is ignorant. You are probably one of those girls that have it easy during peroods so cpunt yourself lucky. Others like me have it bad so stfu

Indeed. I've had some where it's just "uh another period" and I can get on with my day and others where moving really hurts.
Indeed. I've had some where it's just "uh another period" and I can get on with my day and others where moving really hurts.

Yet you still feel you deserve a day off while men with chronic conditions do your work.
Original post by liberty cap
Yet you still feel you deserve a day off while men with chronic conditions do your work.

what does men with chronic conditions have to do with this?

Hypothetically, are you saying that what an expert says about a condition is only valid if they have ever experienced said condition?
what does men with chronic conditions have to do with this?

They would the the worst impacted by this. Come on think about it, 2 people working the same job one women with average periods one man with a chronic condition, the women gets an extra day a month off while the man who suffers far more pain gets nothing and worse has to cover the women's workload for the day.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Cool girl #758,987,000 :h:

[video="youtube;kLnxf-giIsw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnxf-giIsw[/video]
Original post by HollyGeordie
[video="youtube;kLnxf-giIsw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnxf-giIsw[/video]

Hell yeah! :h:
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Hypothetically, are you saying that what an expert says about a condition is only valid if they have ever experienced said condition?

Yes but only in regard to the pain that the condition causes. A male doctor or midwife can tell me all about pregnancy and the precautions/measures I should take to ensure a safe and healthy pregnancy and I would of course trust their judgement but if they were to tell me that the pain felt from contractions and childbirth is minimal and a mother told me the opposite, I would obviously believe the mother over the professional

IMO, The cramps aren't really comparable to aches and pains that both men and women experience because the cramps are due to the uterus contracting and since men don't have a uterus, they will never experience that sort of feeling. I guess a bellyache is somewhat similar, but isn't really that accurate.

I don't have balls, so idk what being kicked in the balls feels like. I've experienced lots of other types of pain though but I'm sure you wouldn't be able to equate the pain of being kicked in the balls to a pain that all sexes experience

That's not logic. That's arbitration. People with blue eyes are more resistant to the effects of alcohol so only they should discuss alcohol tax? I am a thing is not a reason to exclude other people from discussing said thing. It's the old philosophical question, who knows more about pregnancy, a woman with kids or a male doctor? Most would say doctor as though the woman can tell you how it personally felt for her, the sample size is one and unless the question is directly 'how did it feel' that information doesn't help much.

Also it affects everyone. If periods are a reason for paid time off why isnt (as I mentioned before) anemia or suchlike? Further, if women are entitled to randomly take paid time off their colleagues (men and other women) will be constantly understaffed and have to work much harder to cover their absence or as per another example in a school they might physically not have the staff to care for the kids (with the profession being vast majority female). It affects everyone its not just 'muh period so only affects meh' - that's like saying punching someone in the face only affects you because it'll cause a load of pain in your knuckles. Yes I'm using reducto ad absurdum but the point is entirely valid, to say it doesn't affect everyone is either willfully ignorant or ill considered.

Original post by cherryred90s
IMO, The cramps aren't really comparable to aches and pains that both men and women experience because the cramps are due to the uterus contracting and since men don't have a uterus, they will never experience that sort of feeling. I guess a bellyache is somewhat similar, but isn't really that accurate.

I don't have balls, so idk what being kicked in the balls feels like. I've experienced lots of other types of pain though but I'm sure you wouldn't be able to equate the pain of being kicked in the balls to a pain that all sexes experience

It's just a body part though? I'm not being dismissive, more curious. For example a cramp in my arm and my leg are essentially the same even if the muscle/body part is different.

Eh I suppose but pain is inherently subjective anyway. A martial artist could get punched and just be a bit surprised whereas a normal person might break down in tears.
It's just a body part though? I'm not being dismissive, more curious. For example a cramp in my arm and my leg are essentially the same even if the muscle/body part is different.

Okay, so would you say that being kicked in the leg is just painful as being kicked in the balls? Although they're both body parts, im sure you'd still say that the latter is much more painful, because the anatomy of them are completely different whereas an arm and a leg are pretty similar in terms of biology.

Eh I suppose but pain is inherently subjective anyway. A martial artist could get punched and just be a bit surprised whereas a normal person might break down in tears.

yeah this is true, pain is subjective

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending