The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My UCAS hasn't updated yet and I want to firm it ASAP :frown:
Original post by halldor
So, I got an offer for Economics at Peterhouse (terrific!) - but, it is conditional on a 7 in IB HL Further Mathematics, which I wasn't quite expecting for the subject (especially as seeing as how I was predicted a 6, and I'm taking it as my 7th IB subject, meaning it's not in my diploma). This on its own would be all right, but the trouble is that at my school, Further Mathematics is entirely self-taught, without any outside support. On top of that, we start it our final year (and 'we' in this case refers to me, as I'm the only student taking it my year), although it's supposed to be a two-year course.

I'm somewhat terrified I won't be able to meet the offer (although I anticipate 7s in every other IB subject). Any ideas/suggestions? Do you think it's conceivable I'd be able to go with a 6 in Further Maths given that 7s in 4 other HL subjects?

Ooh that's tough, it's almost like you're getting punished for taking the extra step and doing Further Math, so few people do it at IB! Then again, maybe the offer wouldn't have been given to you if you didn't study it. Hopefully if the worst happens and you miss that 7 in FM they'll let you in regardless through the summer pool; you do have some convincing circumstances and from what I've read IB Math and Further Math is regarded as more sophisticated than their A level counterparts:

"We would regard the content of IB Mathematics HL as significantly more than A level and, perhaps, similar to A level plus AS Further Maths. It is important to note that the option topics are predominantly constituted of undergraduate level topics."
(From Appendix Q here: https://web.archive.org/web/20120309051718/http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/)

See also my question to the Murray Edwards AT: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69422866&postcount=9655

Just do your best :smile: I got my offer for Economics without doing FM but I applied with achieved IB grades at Hughes Hall.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 302
Original post by unknowntsr

Do you have all your other offers?

And actually there's no rush...
Original post by physicsmaths
Come to homerton and have some plum and cherry pop then do my mock on monday for me

so desperate
Original post by Insight314
so desperate

Ur mums more desperate
Ur mums more desperate

October is not a long time away m8, but don't make me visit homerton even earlier
Come to homerton and have some plum and cherry pop then do my mock on monday for me

:lol: maths isn't my strong point (also plum and cherry wtf)
Original post by SteamboatMickey
:lol: maths isn't my strong point (also plum and cherry wtf)

Its not my strong point either
Original post by blue2337
Oh that's cool, it's such a cool subject (to me at least!). I really love science, but also enjoy writing essays, so thought Linguistics was a perfect compromise! Lovely to meet you too! It would be cool to see you on 11th!

YUP! Linguistics is so cool. It's like you can learn all languages in a scientific way!:biggrin: But I can't be at the open day I'm afraid I'm not in the UK... We can meet in October then:wink:
Cannot believe that I can post here..

Anyone at John's for arch/anth?

Why? No need to rush at all, It's not like first come first served basis. Nobody is taking your offer away. :wink:
My daughter didn't firm it until 15 min before the deadline in May because she couldn't make up her mind which one to choose for firm/insurance! :biggrin:
Reply 311
Original post by vincrows
Why? No need to rush at all, It's not like first come first served basis. Nobody is taking your offer away. :wink:
My daughter didn't firm it until 15 min before the deadline in May because she couldn't make up her mind which one to choose for firm/insurance! :biggrin:

This is very important.

Folks, there is no need to rush to accept any offers. We always have 100's of threads on TSR in May from people who decided their choices "early" and then change their minds (and minds can change for various reasons some of which might be outside your control).

Some Cambridge colleges ask you to email them your decision early - but that is not a binding choice. Your binding decisions are indicated only on UCAS. So it's perfectly fine to email college xyz and say "thank you for the offer and I'm delighted to accept it" but to wait a bit before doing so on UCAS.
Original post by jneill
This is very important.

Folks, there is no need to rush to accept any offers. We always have 100's of threads on TSR in May from people who decided their choices "early" and then change their minds (and minds can change for various reasons some of which might be outside your control).

Some Cambridge colleges ask you to email them your decision early - but that is not a binding choice. Your binding decisions are indicated only on UCAS. So it's perfectly fine to email college xyz and say "thank you for the offer and I'm delighted to accept it" but to wait a bit before doing so on UCAS.

Of course, it's my post, it's always important! :biggrin: :tongue:

Must admit 15 min before the deadline was too extreme, as there was a chance UCAS system could crash at the last minutes with a huge influx of applicants trying to log on.
But really, it's much better to leave it for a while, and put all your choices in front of you once you get all the results, and re-visit your decision carefully.

The ball is in YOUR court now. Hold on to it as long as you can.
Does anyone know when UCAS Track will update?
Reply 314
Original post by mehokay
Does anyone know when UCAS Track will update?

We don't "know" but it should be very soon. It already has for some candidates.
Original post by jneill
Do you have all your other offers?

And actually there's no rush...

Yh I have all my offers now
Reply 316

So I can email the AT saying I'm firming it now but wait for a couple months? Just to clarify
So I can email the AT saying I'm firming it now but wait for a couple months? Just to clarify

Yes.
But you don't even have to email them so quickly as they will not take your offer away only because you're slow in replying.
Only email them when they ask you to do so.
And leave ucas side as long as you can bear to wait.

As @jneill said, it's a regular occurrence every year people panic because they changed their mind after they firm/insure on UCAS.
Honestly, no need to rush at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
Yes.
But you don't even have to email them so quickly as they will not take your offer away only because you're slow in replying.
Only email them when they ask you to do so.
And leave ucas side as long as you can bear to wait.

As @jneill said, it's a regular occurrence every year people panic because they changed their mind after they firm/insure on UCAS.
Honestly, no need to rush at all.

Ok thank you. They've asked me to email them if I want to firm it but I'll wait a little longer.

Latest

Trending

Trending