The Student Room Group

I've been offered admission, but I can't afford it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by azizadil1998
My parents have been paying tax for 5 years here and we have two houses here yet I don't have a passport so I have to pay double or whatever that British citizens have to pay :biggrin:

It is unfortunate but your taxes don't just go to university... I would say 5 years of tax doesn't cover the government subsidies of uni... can't you take a citizenship test?

It does seem like it is indeed possible to do what I suggested.
To be absolutely sure though, I would give them a call [and lie] and say you are from India and have already been living in the UK for 3 years but you have no money for university ...and ask them what options are available to you. If they say yes, you can receive funding then this will confirm that all you need to do is move to the UK for 3 years and then re apply to universities and you will get funding.

What if somehow someone manages to pay at least 50% of the first year, what are the chances this person can get to finance themselves via work or something in later years. Also how possible would it be to get a 1 or 2.1 and head on to grad medicine say after 3 years of undergrad and living in the uk after 4 years(after first degree) and then heading to grad medicine under home fees?
Original post by gonza nelson
What if somehow someone manages to pay at least 50% of the first year, what are the chances this person can get to finance themselves via work or something in later years. Also how possible would it be to get a 1 or 2.1 and head on to grad medicine say after 3 years of undergrad and living in the uk after 4 years(after first degree) and then heading to grad medicine under home fees?

I am not sure [and someone correct me if i'm wrong], but I think you may have to pay the course fee's upfront. I am not sure if they will let you pay like 50% of the first year and then hope you are able to work through the other years to finance it.

I am not sure on your second question either, but I assume if you were able to cover the fee's it will be possible ....., however without British Status you would be paying all the fee's yourself with no loan for the government, and they probably would want you to pay the fee's upfront. Again i'm not entirely sure on this, perhaps someone else can clarify.
Original post by ANM775
I am not sure [and someone correct me if i'm wrong], but I think you may have to pay the course fee's upfront. I am not sure if they will let you pay like 50% of the first year and then hope you are able to work through the other years to finance it.

I am not sure on your second question either, but I assume if you were able to cover the fee's it will be possible ....., however without British Status you would be paying all the fee's yourself with no loan for the government, and they probably would want you to pay the fee's upfront. Again i'm not entirely sure on this, perhaps someone else can clarify.

I have an offer with a partial scholarship in some uni. The payment policy suggests you can pay in two installments( around 5000GBP each) due before the last registration date and the beginning of sem 2 respectively. As for the fee status it requires one to have settled in the UK three years prior to the course which is something I was looking into for grad medicine entry. Like I finish Bsc, keep around for 4 years and then head to grad medicine as a home fee status holder. Currently, I can't get into med school as I only hold ABA many schools requiring AAA.
Original post by passé-présent
these days, the only thing that comes to mind about the UK in China... is posh homosexuals.

I wonder if admitting more Chinese to Oxford would be the best way to address that stereotype.
Original post by CurryHead
Lemme guess, "Dang immigrants, taking our jobs!!" Cool the nationalistic fervour Gramps.

Look, I've seen first hand the kind of difference between an education in the UK and an education in India. The fact is, I've got into Oxford, and the competitive part is over. You haven't seen the kind of mad rush the kids here go through to get into a decent uni.
This doesn't mean I'm not applying in India. I know better than to put my eggs in one basket.

I understand what you are saying obviously you are going to apply for the best opportunity you can get, but again why did you apply if you have no way of raising the coin to attend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azizadil1998
My parents have been paying tax for 5 years here and we have two houses here yet I don't have a passport so I have to pay double or whatever that British citizens have to pay :biggrin:

As far as I understand in order to qualify for UK domestic student status you have to be a resident in the uk for 3 years prior to the commencement of your degree program
Original post by Moura
So would you say it's your first language? Do you speak it better than whatever your regional indian language is?

For a lot of Indians English is their first or second language. English education is mandatory in most Indian schools
Original post by passé-présent
1. I meant, quite clearly, that Oxford should try to become equally wealthy.
2. International students can work in their own countries, or other countries that allow visitors to work (come pick fruit in Australia).
3. Undergraduates do have a good deal to do with a university's academic standard. Many academics mention the calibre of undergraduate students in discussing topics, assisting with research, being interesting rather than frustrating and time-wasting to teach as a reason for preferring jobs at the top universities. A not negligible few undergraduates at top universities in fact do significant research themselves in their time there.
And many of the top US universities do have a high proportion of undergraduates look at Princeton, MIT, Yale. None of them has a lower proportion of undergrads than Oxford. Harvard is anomalous in having many professional schools.
4. If that is true overseas, why wouldn't it also be true in England? Should Oxford say, 'More Old Etonians, please!'? But in fact the difference that family wealth makes for many people pursuing military, religious, technological, financial or academic careers is very little; another thing altogether, of course, if you're into waving from a horse-drawn chariot.
And you merely confirm my point. Only leaders from wealthy backgrounds could have gone to Oxford. How many more heads of state/government might Oxford now claim as alumni if it were as generous as Harvard, Yale or Princeton? These universities are not stupid why do they conduct need-blind admission and offer as much aid as a student needs? Oxbridge would do it too, if they could afford it.
5. I said nothing about what helped leaders achieve their positions. (That said, what helped Harold Wilson more: a first in PPE or being born to a chemist in Huddersfield? Or Singapore's Lee Kwan Yew or our man Turnbull? Even in the UK Tory Party what about the grocer's daughter from Kesteven?) My point, if you read it attentively, is that an undergraduate education often imbues the outlook of the student with something of the outlook of their institution and the country in which it is located. One can point to very many early twentieth-century world (economic, political, cultural, military) leaders who became notable anglophiles after an Oxbridge education; these days, the only thing that comes to mind about the UK in China (to take just one example of a rising world power), where one can grab important Harvard graduates by the handful in diverse fields, many humbly born, is posh homosexuals.

1. And how do you propose they do that? To be rich, you increase your income and cut your expenses. You want Oxford to offer scholarships to international students, ie spend more, but you have no suggestions on how they can make more money.

US universities have more income and endowment for three main reasons:
A. Government funds private universities more in the US than the UK does for their public universities;
B. Richer and more generous alumni;
C. Industry funding.

All of them are largely due to the fact that they're in the US, a country with a much bigger economy and higher incomes. B also due to the fact that top universities offer rich patrons to buy their way in (that's how people without an undergrad degree got into Harvard for a master's or how people like GWB got in).

So what can Oxford do? Move to the US? Declare Oxfordshire independent then join the US? Open places for home students to "self-finance" their undergraduate degree? Stop doing research? Stop hiring?

2. What's your point? Are you talking about international students at Oxford? If not that's just totally irrelevant.

I'm not sure about Australia, but fruit-picking people are usually on a working holiday visa, not a study visa. Working holiday visas let you work, study visa is for you to study.

3. If those academics are working at Oxford now, it means the system is working. The undergraduates are good enough already and so there's no need to spend money for perhaps marginal and insignificant improvement. After all, only a very small portion helps with research so they definitely don't need everyone to be very capable.

Also, many universities adopt a dual system with professors mostly engage in research and lecturers do most of the teaching. So there's one than one way to attract those academics if they indeed see that as an important factor.

Perhaps you should look things up before making a claim: Oxford (51%), Yale (44%), MIT (40%), Princeton (67%). All very different proportions. And i recall saying that even doctoral students have little to do with the universities' academic standards, so your mentioning just the portion of undergrads is irrelevant, when they all have tiny student populations, proving my point you don't need students to succeed academically.

4. Likely none. No university in the world compares to Oxford in the field of politics. As far as I can see, Yale and Princeton have no current head and Harvard has 3, including the local one who's leaving in a week. Even locally, Oxford completely dominates - 27 PMs versus 8 US presidents for Harvard. So you don't have a point here. The US universities do it not because they'll get more alumni in the important fields, but because if they don't, they could lose government funding. A university like MIT gets 90% of its income from the government, Oxford around 40%.

5. The Oxford degree likely had contributed very little to their political success whatever their background.

Wilson came from a political family. Lee's family was never actually poor. Turnbull didn't come from a poor family. May was at least middle class.
(edited 7 years ago)
Might not work but have you tried starting a croudfunding kinda thing on something like kickstarter where anyone who wants to help you can donate, because every little helps
Original post by comebackseason
As far as I understand in order to qualify for UK domestic student status you have to be a resident in the uk for 3 years prior to the commencement of your degree program

nah ive looked at the criteria everywhere. there are some exceptions like if you're the child of a refugee, turkish worker, swiss person, that kind of stuff. but nothing to help the people who have been living and paying tax and contributing to the country for 5 years hehehe
Original post by Moura
It is unfortunate but your taxes don't just go to university... I would say 5 years of tax doesn't cover the government subsidies of uni... can't you take a citizenship test?

Yeah I understand that - and that true but I'm sure the £19,000 a year that international students which make up the majority of most top/average universities cover the cost no? If you look at the ratios at some top 10 unis e.g. Bath its 65-70% international, and the remainder being UK so.. And nahh. I've already gone through the process I had detailed emails with all the uni's I applied to and talked to UCAS explained them my situation but to no luck so i guess ill be paying the international fees. fortunately I will have a UK passport in the last year of uni so for my Masters I will be able to get a student loan which is still significant.
Original post by CurryHead
I'm an International student from India, and I've been offered admission to a 4 year course in Biochemistry at University College, Oxford. Now I really really want to go, because my country has very limited opportunities for research, but my full four year fees comes up to about 170000 GBP (everything included), which is WAY more than I can possibly afford. Is there any sort of financial assistance available to me? I know there are the Reach and Simon and June Li scholarships, but those are very limited in number. Can anyone help me?

In England, you are eligible to apply for what the government call a "student loan". This accodates for your tuition fees for the full length of your course, presumably for Oxford this is the full £9,250 per year.
These fees are not paid off until you begin to earn over £21,000 per year (salary based). When (if) you do, you pay just 6 percent of an excess over that amount. For instance, if you have a salary of £22,000 you would pay 6% of the £1000.
The best thing to do is contact your university directly or UCAS because they will be able to guide you in the right direction.
I hope you are able to fulfill your place & dreams. Good Luck!
Reply 213
Original post by Shuttleworth
In England, you are eligible to apply for what the government call a "student loan". This accodates for your tuition fees for the full length of your course, presumably for Oxford this is the full £9,250 per year.
These fees are not paid off until you begin to earn over £21,000 per year (salary based). When (if) you do, you pay just 6 percent of an excess over that amount. For instance, if you have a salary of £22,000 you would pay 6% of the £1000.
The best thing to do is contact your university directly or UCAS because they will be able to guide you in the right direction.
I hope you are able to fulfill your place & dreams. Good Luck!

Isn't that only for home/EU students? I'm Overseas.
I'm currently an undergraduate student at Cambridge but I'm a home student so I get student loan to cover the fees etc. Congratulations on your offer, but Oxbridge is not as brilliant as it may seem to you right now and there are many other good universities in India that would be much cheaper for you. It is definitely not worth 1.4 crore rupees, which is an amount that many middle class families earn in a lifetime. The supervision/tutorial system is useful but only if that teaching style suits you. I think you should get in touch with the university for scholarships (however most are just for home students), try and meet with alumnis and open a gofundme account. This is a huge amount to take out a loan for so I think in the case that you don't get much funding from anywhere you should complete your bachelors degree in India and then apply again to Oxford for a place on the masters course if you're still interested. I am studying engineering and I haven't met a single undergraduate who is an international student from India, but there are many masters students. Best of luck with the funding and with whatever course you choose to do, but I would advise you to reconsider Oxford as the degree may not be much better than what you would study in India, especially in terms of difficulty.
Original post by Moura
Unfortunately university is subsidised for British students because our parents pay tax and international students have to pay the full fee... it can't really be helped as they bring a lot of money to the university and if the fees were cheaper it might not cover the costs and there would be too many applicants.

I think there should be commonwealth exceptions though it's pretty unfair after everything we've done...

It isn't subsidised for British students, otherwise it would be free. There is the government run student loans company, which you get two loans from, one for the uni fees which is now about £9250 per year for British students, and then a maintenance loan for accomodation which is based off your parents income and personal circumstances. University fees are subsidised for Scottish students though.
There is a really useful website called The Scholarship Hub, they have all sorts of scholarships including international ones.

You could also look into getting a sponsorship, large companies may fund your degree if you agree to work for them afterwards. (I have a relative who did this and has been funded from the start of their bachelor's degree all the way through to their doctorate.)

I'm not really sure what else there is out there that hasn't already been suggested but good luck.
Reply 217
Original post by Ellie419
It isn't subsidised for British students, otherwise it would be free. There is the government run student loans company, which you get two loans from, one for the uni fees which is now about £9250 per year for British students, and then a maintenance loan for accomodation which is based off your parents income and personal circumstances. University fees are subsidised for Scottish students though.

Considering I'm now 27k in debt for my fees alone, I know that English students have to pay for uni.
Subsidised means that we pay partially, and the government pays partially.
It's means that our fee is reduced, not covered.
Original post by Moura
Considering I'm now 27k in debt for my fees alone, I know that English students have to pay for uni.

Indeed, and the International fees are a better indication of the true cost (or market value...) of that university's courses excluding subsidies etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moura

All home students are subsidized to the extent and in the sense that the government fronts up the money and says you can pay it back when you can afford to.

Beyond this only STEM students receive a subsidy, and actually only some of them*. I can still do a one year (that is 12 month) taught Masters degree in the Arts or Social Sciences for £6000, receiving as much teaching time as the undergrads in the same department, and this often in small groups and never in huge lectures, and having supervision and marking for a longish dissertation on top of that. On an undergraduate Arts or Social Sciences course having a big intake the per head costs, and certainly in the first year, might be as low as £3000.

This is little understood by the STEM snobs on here. That the Arts and Social Sciences students are subsidizing them and not the other way about.

*Not maths and stats and possibly not computer science or architecture. You really need labs to drive provision costs to £9000 per head even on a big intake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending