The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xiuchen
I am waiting for my UCAS to update to know the outcome of my application. Is it okay to find out about it in 2 weeks time (Worst case senario if UCAS doesn't update)? Is there any follow up things that needs to be done soon? (Such as emailing to confirm the offer or requesting rejection feedback etc.)

My UCAS updated the day after my offer was sent. My college didn't request any kind of reply; your "reply" will be when you confirm on UCAS your Firm and Insurance choices, I guess.
Original post by Xiuchen
I am waiting for my UCAS to update to know the outcome of my application. Is it okay to find out about it in 2 weeks time (Worst case senario if UCAS doesn't update)? Is there any follow up things that needs to be done soon? (Such as emailing to confirm the offer or requesting rejection feedback etc.)

I doubt there's anything that has to be urgently settled within two weeks. I believe there's a window of approximately 1 year for rejection feedback, but hopefully it won't come to that :smile:
Original post by Xiuchen

UCAS will almost certainly update very soon now (probably Monday).

You only need to confirm your UCAS choices by mid May (maybe even later for Internationals...) - there's absolutely no rush.

And feedback requests usually* need to be sent by the end of this month.

*Might vary by college...
Original post by Infested
I believe there's a window of approximately 1 year for rejection feedback

I did some snooping around and it seems like they destroy applicant files at around 1 Sept, so it's more like a few months. Sooner the better though, you never know if they'll do it earlier.
Original post by Infested
I did some snooping around and it seems like they destroy applicant files at around 1 Sept, so it's more like a few months. Sooner the better though, you never know if they'll do it earlier.

Yes, and some colleges have a "by end of Jan" deadline for requests.
Original post by Forecast
10 A*s and 1 A.

Can you open your PM's for a sec? i need to ask you something. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by jneill
UCAS will almost certainly update very soon now (probably Monday).

You only need to confirm your UCAS choices by mid May (maybe even later for Internationals...) - there's absolutely no rush.

And feedback requests usually* need to be sent by the end of this month.

*Might vary by college...

Am I right in saying feedback requests need to be sent via our referee? And can I still receive feedback after getting an offer?
Original post by PythagorasGhost
Am I right in saying feedback requests need to be sent via our referee? And can I still receive feedback after getting an offer?

If you got an offer, you can't request feedback, as the offer IS their feedback already. (and they have enough feedback requests from people who were rejected to deal with)

If you're an offer holder, you have a luxury of having opportunities to ask your DoS/fellows directly, as many times as you want, in much more details, when you get in! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I was just wondering to what extent the college that somebody attends matters in terms of degree recognition? I'm sure each college offers an entirely different experience, but if the degree is the same I don't see how college reputation should matter.
Original post by timb1999
I was just wondering to what extent the college that somebody attends matters in terms of degree recognition? I'm sure each college offers an entirely different experience, but if the degree is the same I don't see how college reputation should matter.

Nothing at all. Each college offers different social experience, to some extent but not very much, but the academic experience is same anywhere as it's centralised at the department.
Except for some (or all, in many colleges) supervisions during your first year, that is more commonly done in your own college, everything else is exactly the same whichever college you are at.

And degree classes are assessed and given by the department, not by each college, so they're all equal across all colleges. Getting a first (or 2.1 or whatever) at one college isn't any better or worse than getting the same class at another college.

On the day of graduation, you'll even have choices of getting the certificate issued by your college or 'the university'. Exactly the same content but different crest on the top and who signs it at the bottom.
Many choose to have their college's out of patoriatism (read: tribalism :tongue:), not because they think their college's name is valued more than others. (Though everyone thinks their college is the best among all.....:tongue:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by timb1999

As Vincrows says.

But also just think about it. The degree is awarded by the university not the college. If the college was important the degree certificate would say say something like BA (Cantab: TitHall).

It doesn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4851
Original post by Bailes
Has anyone else had an offer based on 4 A-levels? I got an offer of A*A*AA from Sidney Sussex for Law and feel like I'm the only one!

I have an a* from maths last year and Sidney Sussex gave me an offer of A*AA in the A-levels I'm doing this year so it's technically a 4 grade offer
My meme was posted on memebridge <3 <3
Original post by indecisiveness
Got an offer for NatSci (soo happy omg) but i still dont know the conditions... Has anyone recieved an offer higher than A*A*A??? (And since i am doing 4 a levels could they include all 4?)

Congratulations! Still waiting for mine, if I may ask, which college did you get an offer from and did you get the offer by email or post? X
Got rejected from Queens' for Linguistics. Absolutely gutted but I knew it was coming, the exam was a killer! Onwards and upwards to look forward to Leeds!
Reply 4855
Got an offer for NatSci (soo happy omg) but i still dont know the conditions... Has anyone recieved an offer higher than A*A*A??? (And since i am doing 4 a levels could they include all 4?)

My offer for maths is basically A*A*A* since it's A* FM A* physics A maths
Is anyone still waiting for a decision? I didn't get mine from Robinson yet. What should I do? Tried to call them yesterday and they didn't answer so I left a message

Original post by LapizLazuliStar
Congratulations! Still waiting for mine, if I may ask, which college did you get an offer from and did you get the offer by email or post? X

Don't worry, it will come soon enough, probably by post.
In the old days colleges used to send offer letter with the condition and some documents to fil in, but in recent years some colleges seem to have decided to notify offer/rejection asap within the limited time-frame then follow up wirh other things for offer holders.
Most colleges have only one admission secretary to deal with all the paperwork, so things cannot be done too quickly, especially if you want to avoid human errors by rushing. :wink:
Original post by legoody
I'll add at the head of this post that if anyone else has questions RE: Fitz or Law, please do not hesitate to PM me or quote this message and I will reply.

Hi - I'm a first year lawyer at Fitzwilliam so I'll say what I can! Fitz has a reputation for being a very friendly college - which is definitely true, I felt immediately welcome and loved the atmosphere, I really suggest having a look around if you have the opportunity. We have a quite good reputation in a range of sports/music, and it's worth noting that thanks to the generosity of Fitz Law alumni our textbooks are provided free of charge every year - also, the Master (Nicola Padfield) is a lawyer (supervisor for Fitz Criminal lawyers) and this has its advantages!

The Fresher accommodation is in 5 blocks, 3 (possibly 4 by summer) of which have been newly renovated in the past 1/2 years and are absolutely brilliant! We also have an absolutely lovely 24/7 library on site. Honestly, can't say enough how nice it is here!

Hi, I've emailed admissions today as I still hadn't received anything by post and I got an automated reply saying that all decision letter were send by first class. I'm scared that the mail guy might have delivered it to the wrong house as it is happened before.

Admission isn't going to be available until Monday. What should I do? Should I call in or just wait?

Thank you
Original post by tanysh21
Is anyone still waiting for a decision? I didn't get mine from Robinson yet. What should I do? Tried to call them yesterday and they didn't answer so I left a message

God, still waiting?
Robinson and caius seem to be having real problems this year.....

If they're trying to catch up after the problems, it's possible they're working this weekend (at least today), so try calling them.
If you're international and worried about phone charges, you can find many cheap international telephone sites on internet.

Latest

Trending

Trending