The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chun_ni
Hi, I've emailed admissions today as I still hadn't received anything by post and I got an automated reply saying that all decision letter were send by first class. I'm scared that the mail guy might have delivered it to the wrong house as it is happened before.

Admission isn't going to be available until Monday. What should I do? Should I call in or just wait?

Thank you

Call them on Monday.
They'll probably let you know the decision on the phone if you haven't received a letter then.
Original post by ajamess
Was rejected for NatSci a couple of days ago :frown: 11A*s at GCSE, average 98 UMS at AS and 590/600UMS Maths A level so was a bit gutted! Didn't think the interview was outstanding but certainly didn't think it was bad enough to off-set my entire application. I've been predicted 4A*s and I'm not sure whether to apply again next year hopefully with those grades under my belt. Any suggestions anyone?

There is a reasonably large element of subjectivity with university applications as a whole and Cambridge is no different to this. Remember you applied for a very competitive course ( as I did lat year and was rejected with very similar grade profile to you). If you look at the range of courses you will find there is quite a big difference as to their competitiveness. So for last year there were 2943 applications for natural sciences and 703 offers made. At the other end of the scale there were 146 applications for classics and 93 offers made.

Hopefully this puts your rejection into a little more perspective. I am assuming you already have offers from other excellent universities? What would be your motivation for reapplying? I am not saying not to but I think a little time out would help you.

Think about your other offers, if you want to reapply can they be deferred. I am not trying to sway your opinion mind. I decided not to reapply as Oxbridge didn't mean that much to me. I achieved my 4 A* at A level and can tell you I am in no way unique. I know loads of students at my uni with very similar grades ( including natural science) students.
Good luck with whatever you decide. 👍
Original post by vincrows
God, still waiting?
Robinson and caius seem to be having real problems this year.....

If they're trying to catch up after the problems, it's possible they're working this weekend (at least today), so try calling them.
If you're international and worried about phone charges, you can find many cheap international telephone sites on internet.

As someone who got pooled to caius and reinterviewed and hasn't heard anything yet, this post just gave me hope :smile: Thanks! (It's only 11am on the morning of the first day pooled offers are being sent but I keep rechecking my emails...)
Original post by tryeeme
As someone who got pooled to caius and reinterviewed and hasn't heard anything yet, this post just gave me hope :smile: Thanks! (It's only 11am on the morning of the first day pooled offers are being sent but I keep rechecking my emails...)

If you were re-interviewed, the decision would probably take a bit longer.
They have to finish all re-interviews before they come to decisions. :wink:
Original post by solC
My offer for maths is basically A*A*A* since it's A* FM A* physics A maths

Keep in mind it's possible to get A M + A* FM if you don't get 90% average in C3/C4 but smash every other exam.
Reply 4865
Original post by trythis
Keep in mind it's possible to get A M + A* FM if you don't get 90% average in C3/C4 but smash every other exam.

Funnily enough that actually happened to a girl from my school last year...
God, still waiting?
Robinson and caius seem to be having real problems this year.....

If they're trying to catch up after the problems, it's possible they're working this weekend (at least today), so try calling them.
If you're international and worried about phone charges, you can find many cheap international telephone sites on internet.

I literally don't know what to do anymore..I phoned them yesterday as well...Should I writr them an email?
Are there still chances i could be getting in..?
If you were re-interviewed, the decision would probably take a bit longer.
They have to finish all re-interviews before they come to decisions. :wink:

I was under the impression that all the re-interviews had finished? Cambridge's website says the 14th, but caius told me I'd receive an email specifying when my interview was by wednesday lunchtime 'at the very latest'...which I ended up getting at 16:13 (I know the exact time because I was constantly refreshing my emails in panic xd)
Original post by tanysh21
I literally don't know what to do anymore..I phoned them yesterday as well...Should I writr them an email?
Are there still chances i could be getting in..?

Did you manage to actually talk with them on the phone yesterday?
If you didn't get through, try them again on Monday.
You can send email too, meanwhile, if you like.

A chance of getting in or not is nothing to do with a (presumed) trouble in communication, unless caius uses different methods of communications between successful/unsuccessful applicants. (Sorry, I only came back to the forum temporarily to give extra hands, so not up to date on details on each colleges procedures)
Original post by tryeeme
I was under the impression that all the re-interviews had finished? Cambridge's website says the 14th, but caius told me I'd receive an email specifying when my interview was by wednesday lunchtime 'at the very latest'...which I ended up getting at 16:13 (I know the exact time because I was constantly refreshing my emails in panic xd)

No, there're still some waiting for re-interviews early next week.

Edit:
Not sure about a situation in a specific college though. But it's not over yet, for the university as a whole.
And even after they've done all the re-interviews, AT and DoS/fellows still have to make a time to have discussion, I think, so it's not that straightforward. They're all busy people. (AT has to meet with many DoS from other subjects, too. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bethipayne
Eugh, understandable - trains can be pretty stressful, especially for something as big as this... Lovely of your dad to take you up:biggrin: There really isn't much at all - to be honest, I did barely anything beyond keeping up-to-date with current affairs (I applied for Law) and re-reading personal statement!

I think they went OK this time round - I had a better feeling about them than the first set I did, although (as ever with interviews) I couldn't say if they went really well. I hope I do, too! Likewise, I hope your decision comes around swiftly after your interview!!:smile:

Same that's exactly what I'm going to do! I really can't wait to just get it done now and face the music

Haha I thought my first set of interviews were disastrous, for everything they asked what I thought of x, I would say y and they would be like no it's actually z. I'm amazed I even got pooled :tongue: eeeee I hope Monday is your day! Some people have found out in the same day as their interview so it might also be my day :colondollar:
Did you manage to actually talk with them on the phone yesterday?
If you didn't get through, try them again on Monday.
You can send email too, meanwhile, if you like.

A chance of getting in or not is nothing to do with a (presumed) trouble in communication, unless caius uses different methods of communications between successful/unsuccessful applicants. (Sorry, I only came back to the forum temporarily to give extra hands, so not up to date on details on each colleges procedures)

No..I didn't get the chance to talk with them, I just left a message. I will try to email them and then I'll call them again on Monday if i don't get any decision by then..
Thank you anyway
Original post by domaths
My meme was posted on memebridge <3 <3

The Monopoly Chance one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, there're still some waiting for re-interviews early next week.

Edit:
Not sure about a situation in a specific college though. But it's not over yet, for the university as a whole.
And even after they've done all the re-interviews, AT and DoS/fellows still have to make a time to have discussion, I think, so it's not that straightforward. They're all busy people. (AT has to meet with many DoS from other subjects, too. :wink:

Ah! Thanks very much for making me aware of this :smile:

EDIT: Damn you vincrows, your replies are generating emails which keep making my heart skip a beat :smile: xd
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
The Monopoly Chance one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah the one that's explaining my offer while the picture deteriorates
Original post by tanysh21
No..I didn't get the chance to talk with them, I just left a message. I will try to email them and then I'll call them again on Monday if i don't get any decision by then..
Thank you anyway

Sorry, just to be sure, are you a re-interviewee?
If so, that's the most likely reason you haven't heard yet. Give them more time please, if that's the case.
As a general guidance from them, decisions for re-interviewees can take up to the end of this month. (Though they'll probably let most of them know sometime next week or so)
Original post by PythagorasGhost
My UCAS updated the day after my offer was sent. My college didn't request any kind of reply; your "reply" will be when you confirm on UCAS your Firm and Insurance choices, I guess.

Original post by Infested
I doubt there's anything that has to be urgently settled within two weeks. I believe there's a window of approximately 1 year for rejection feedback, but hopefully it won't come to that :smile:

Original post by jneill
UCAS will almost certainly update very soon now (probably Monday).

You only need to confirm your UCAS choices by mid May (maybe even later for Internationals...) - there's absolutely no rush.

And feedback requests usually* need to be sent by the end of this month.

*Might vary by college...

Thank you all so much! I want to email my college to ask them to email me the news, but there is no point right? Ucas probably update on monday, and they don't work weekends right? :smile: thanks
Original post by tryeeme
Ah! Thanks very much for making me aware of this :smile:

EDIT: Damn you vincrows, your replies are generating emails which keep making my heart skip a beat :smile: xd

Sorry. :tongue:

Spoiler

Original post by domaths
I've already asked my college about my offer (before UCAS came through) so if anything comes up there I'll see, otherwise I'll ask as follow up. Will ATs be working this weekend due to sorting out feedback and etc.?

Thanks again for all the help both of you bring to the thread - I know everyone here is really grateful for it.

I don't think many ATs will be in the office this weekend, though my admissions coordinator and Schools Liaison Officer are to help with interview logistics today,though they might be checking their email.

Feedback is something that takes a long time. Even if you spend as little as 20 minutes on each letter (re-reading the file, deciphering the interview reports and writing the letter), there are often around 150 to do, sometimes more. That's 50 hours work, nearly a week and a half of full-time work even if you did absolutely nothing else. Increase it to half an hour for a letter and that's 75 hours - two complete weeks of full time work excluding anything else that one has to do.

It's an important part of the process but people sometimes will have to be patient with it. :smile:
Got a good luck card from my physiotherapist :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending