The Student Room Group

How to afford Uni

Okay, so I plan to go to Uni in 2018, I'll be going to England, haven't decided where yet. I'm from NI, so I can get a loan for the full £9,000 for the course. The maintenance loan I am entitled to is around £4,500. This will barely cover accommodation costs...how do I afford to eat, travel, do leisure activities?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Part time work. If you're not getting the full 8k maintenance loan then the theory is your parents should be giving you financial aid, which is frankly ridiculous in every way, but that's how the government sees it
Original post by hannahly
Okay, so I plan to go to Uni in 2018, I'll be going to England, haven't decided where yet. I'm from NI, so I can get a loan for the full £9,000 for the course. The maintenance loan I am entitled to is around £4,500. This will barely cover accommodation costs...how do I afford to eat, travel, do leisure activities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get a job
Reply 3
How many hours is it possible to work while doing a degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many hours is it possible to work while doing a degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can assess that when you get your timetable
Reply 5
Considering the fact that I might actually need to decide if I can afford it or not BEFORE getting there, it might be a bit late then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Considering the fact that I might actually need to decide if I can afford it or not BEFORE getting there, it might be a bit late then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What kind of course are you looking to apply to?
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
What kind of course are you looking to apply to?

Modern Languages
Modern Languages

have you considering emailing universities for an example timetable? I imagine it wont be a 5 day a week course so a part time job would be fine but if you ask them i m sure they'll give you an idea of the hours.
Have you spoken to your family about whether they are able to help out at all?
Reply 9
I got myself a part time job as soon as I got to uni and so now get an extra £350 per month and then I get a 1.5K bursary from the uni cause my household income is below 25k and if you're income is below 35K then you get 1K from the uni
Which uni are you considering going to cause it may be worth to check which bursaries they offer but most places should give around 1K to most students which will help greatly towards accomdation costs ect :smile:
The majority of universities recommend that students only take on a maximum of between 10 and 15 hours employment per week during term. I mean, that will vary. If you take on too many hours, your work may suffer; but then again without a job uni might not be possible, so you need to weigh them both up. All, I can say is my sister is now in her second year and she finds there is a lot of work, even without a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best thing you can do is start working now, and build up some savings. I only worked 7 and a half hours a week during term time, and did some overtime in the holidays, and I made about £5000. Also ask ask your parents how much they're willing to contribute. If you're not entitled to the maximum loan they're probably making enough to contribute something. Have a look at what bursaries your chosen unis offer.
Reply 12
have you considering emailing universities for an example timetable? I imagine it wont be a 5 day a week course so a part time job would be fine but if you ask them i m sure they'll give you an idea of the hours.
Have you spoken to your family about whether they are able to help out at all?

Thanks for that suggestion, I'll do that! Family not really able to support me when still running household at home! The government doesn't seem to understand that losing one person from a household saves a lot less than it costs for that person on their own!!
Reply 13
Original post by fefssdf
I got myself a part time job as soon as I got to uni and so now get an extra £350 per month and then I get a 1.5K bursary from the uni cause my household income is below 25k and if you're income is below 35K then you get 1K from the uni
Which uni are you considering going to cause it may be worth to check which bursaries they offer but most places should give around 1K to most students which will help greatly towards accomdation costs ect :smile:

Great thank you! Unfortunately we're just over the bursary income limit, but great about the job! Where are you working?
Thanks for that suggestion, I'll do that! Family not really able to support me when still running household at home! The government doesn't seem to understand that losing one person from a household saves a lot less than it costs for that person on their own!!

If you have siblings still in education then they would be slightly more lenient in what they give you.
Reply 15
If you have siblings still in education then they would be slightly more lenient in what they give you.

Amazing thank you
Try for a scholarship. The scholarshiphub have a liar of every one You can get.
I'm from NI

I cannot imagine why anyone from Norn Iron would study in England and incur all the extra debt except perhaps for Oxbridge. Modern languages are modern languages, you don't learn better French at one than any other. Go to QUB.
Reply 18
Original post by cambio wechsel
I cannot imagine why anyone from Norn Iron would study in England and incur all the extra debt except perhaps for Oxbridge. Modern languages are modern languages, you don't learn better French at one than any other. Go to QUB.

QUB doesn't do German anymore.
Reply 19
Original post by Anfanny
Try for a scholarship. The scholarshiphub have a liar of every one You can get.

Thank you!

Quick Reply