The Student Room Group

Bath vs Manchester vs Birmingham vs Liverpool vs Newcastle

So I applied in the middle of December and I've received 4 offers so far, still waiting for Bath, but I hope I'll get one. The offers I have are low, much lower than expected to be honest, as my overall score is predicted to be 9.3 and my predicted grades are 9,10 in Maths and 9,50 and 9,50 for the rest. Manchester asked for 8,5 overall with minimum 8 in Maths, Birmingham 8,3 with minimum 7 in Maths, Liverpool 7,5 overall in addition to a score of 7,5 in each and Newcastle 80% average in the 3 written exams. Most of them have good business schools and are in top 15 for my subject, which is the marketing course for some and for others it's combined with business and management. I'm not complaining because at least I'm sure that I'm going to be able to meet the offer, but one of my mates applied as well for business management and marketing and received much higher offers.

I don't really see myself in Manchester even if Manchester's business school is well-known and prestigious, I really like Uni of Birmingham, it was the first one that attracted me, but I've heard weird things about the city in general, Liverpool is alright, I've heard Newcastle's nightlife is amazing, but it's really far in the north and isolated, Bath is the first one in rankings for marketing and second for business, but it's small. I've always imagined myself in a bigger city at uni, considering I live in a rather small one now with a population of almost 100,000 and Bath is even smaller than that, but at least it's close to Bristol.

I'd like to be in a place which has a lot of green space and social events, friendly environment as I think social life is as important as the university itself.

What do you think? It would be really appreciated to hear your opinion as I won't have time to visit :frown:. What would you choose? Should I use Extra?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Social life is what you make of it
If you go to a uni which is very party based and you don't like going to clubs ect then you might find your social life lacking but if you go somewhere where people are more into sports and this is your thing then you might have a better more active social life
Think about the 'type' of uni before you pick it cause for instance somewhere like Manchester will likely be pretty party focused along with Newcastle whereas Bath may provide a more quiet environment
Hope this helps
Manchester
Bath
Liverpool
Birmingham
Newcastle

I say this as a Birmingham resident.
Reply 3
Original post by fefssdf
Social life is what you make of it
If you go to a uni which is very party based and you don't like going to clubs ect then you might find your social life lacking but if you go somewhere where people are more into sports and this is your thing then you might have a better more active social life
Think about the 'type' of uni before you pick it cause for instance somewhere like Manchester will likely be pretty party focused along with Newcastle whereas Bath may provide a more quiet environment
Hope this helps

I'm aware that social life depends on your attitude as well, but I'm pretty open up and I love having a busy schedule and good nightlife, I'm also into sports, that's why I'm really confused.

I'm worried Bath may be too quiet for me and I might regret choosing it as the other options are much bigger cities.
Original post by EC
I'm aware that social life depends on your attitude as well, but I'm pretty open up and I love having a busy schedule and good nightlife, I'm also into sports, that's why I'm really confused.

I'm worried Bath may be too quiet for me and I might regret choosing it as the other options are much bigger cities.

Bath is quiet, Newcastle is too rough and layed back imo, for party go Man or Liv, a little racist but too many Asians in Brum tbh :rofl:
Reply 5
Original post by TheExtrovertGod
Manchester
Bath
Liverpool
Birmingham
Newcastle

I say this as a Birmingham resident.

Oh, I see. Could you give me more details?
I mean if you r looking for a larger city, then manchester is pretty great. From my own research (bath and manchester are also my choices), bath is a quiet town, good for studying, manchester can range from very social, to very not social, depending on what accommodation area you live in. The city life for manchester seems to be quite nice, don't think a lot of students have much to complain about it. plus the campus is near the city, but not actually in it, so its convenient but there r still a lot of "green space" if thats what you want. The few good things about bath would be the higher student satisfaction, and the better placement (tho i don't think that matters a lot for you)
hope this helps ^.^
Reply 7
Bath is quiet, Newcastle is too rough and layed back imo, for party go Man or Liv, a little racist but too many Asians in Brum tbh :rofl:

Ugh. Great. :cry:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
'too many asians in brum' :congrats:

Sorry it's just a preference :lol: You guys stick to yourselves :frown:

But yeah Liv or Manchester for partying.
I'm at Durham and go to Newcastle a lot for their nightlife which is fab, plus when I miss the city buzz, Newcastle is a great little get away for me :lol: in terms of green space, you won't really get that, but you've got a really fun and busy city centre, so much happening. I wasn't too keen on the North initially, but I've found that I've travelled so much within the North and I've really liked it. Durham, York, Newcastle and I'm going to Edinburgh shortly too.

Birmingham I visited when I applied to UCAS and it's a campus uni, so that's something to take into account too. Birmingham's night life is also decent - I've got friends at Warwick who go out in Birmingham, plus in the midlands you can also travel to Leicester & Loughborough too. I did like Birmingham a lot when I visited the uni for their open day :smile: albeit 3 years ago :lol:

Bath isn't as happening, I'd say it's more quiet. Night life isn't as buzzing, there's a greater focus on the SU nights (going by a friend who's in her second year there). I've visited Bath and it's a cute little place, personally not for me as it didn't match what I was after in terms of my university ticklist!

Manchester's more about the sort of warehouse nights/events and raves, but as you said the business school is great.

Liverpool...can't really advise :laugh:

I should have really asked, how are you defining social life? :lol:

I think you should consider what you want out of your uni experience?
Reply 10
Original post by Yahoogirl
I mean if you r looking for a larger city, then manchester is pretty great. From my own research (bath and manchester are also my choices), bath is a quiet town, good for studying, manchester can range from very social, to very not social, depending on what accommodation area you live in. The city life for manchester seems to be quite nice, don't think a lot of students have much to complain about it. plus the campus is near the city, but not actually in it, so its convenient but there r still a lot of "green space" if thats what you want. The few good things about bath would be the higher student satisfaction, and the better placement (tho i don't think that matters a lot for you)
hope this helps ^.^

I have friends from my high school who are in Manchester and they told me what's the student life like, but for some reason I'm not that attracted to it.

I know that Bath offers a nice placement and it is important to me as well, but forgot to mention. I chose courses only with an industrial placement as I value job prospects.

I'm intrigued by what made you consider Newcastle as "rough and layered back" I think Newcastle's city centre is fab. It's almost like London in a sense, central London's great, and then you've got areas which aren't so nice - so in Newcastle, that would be Byker for example. However, the student presence is so great and focused around the city centre.

That description matched Birmingham to me, i found it really ugly :lol:
(The campus is nice though, but as an area, not for me)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EC
I have friends from my high school who are in Manchester and they told me what's the student life like, but for some reason I'm not that attracted to it.

I know that Bath offers a nice placement and it is important to me as well, but forgot to mention. I chose courses only with an industrial placement as I value job prospects.

Maybe do some of your own research on student life in Manchester? i dunno, when i looked at some of the online resources and stuff, or student comments, manchester seems like quite a nice place! Haha probably thats why I'm slightly biased :tongue: But yea even tho bath has better placement, it doesn't mean that manchester isn't good
But the thing is that Bath doesn't have much city life, or not as far as i know, given that i live in a huge city, which is what made me lean more towards choosing manchester.
Reply 13
Original post by sleepinglions

I should have really asked, how are you defining social life? :lol:

I think you should consider what you want out of your uni experience?

Thanks for the information provided, appreciate it. Social life as in: a lot of events happening, parties, many student societies to choose from, friendly people, basically to not get bored there.

I want to get a good placement because I chose only courses with industrial placements, I want to get involved in the community and in sports, I'd like it to not be very expensive, a lot of green space, international students and friendly environment. Basically I'd like the buzzing nightlife of Newcastle, the Birmingham's campus and Bath's job prospects. Lmfao. :cry:

Should I apply through extra at another uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Yahoogirl
Maybe do some of your own research on student life in Manchester? i dunno, when i looked at some of the online resources and stuff, or student comments, manchester seems like quite a nice place! Haha probably thats why I'm slightly biased :tongue: But yea even tho bath has better placement, it doesn't mean that manchester isn't good
But the thing is that Bath doesn't have much city life, or not as far as i know, given that i live in a huge city, which is what made me lean more towards choosing manchester.

I really did so much research on each one before applying to them and I thought I chose them wisely, but apparently I'm not that happy with them as I should be. Ugh.

So you chose Manchester already?
Original post by EC
Thanks for the information provided, appreciate it. Social life as in: a lot of events happening, parties, many student societies to choose from, friendly people, basically to not get bored there.

I want to get a good placement because I chose only courses with industrial placements, I want to get involved in the community and in sports, I'd like it to not be very expensive, a lot of green space, international students and friendly environment. Basically I'd like the buzzing nightlife of Newcastle, the Birmingham's campus and Bath's job prospects. Lmfao. :cry:

Should I apply through extra at Cardiff? I wanted to apply there, but didn't.

Honestly wish I could help haha, I know how you're feeling - it's so hard to decide.

I know everyone says it, but I honestly think that wherever you decide to go, you'll have a really great time. They're all good universities, so just spend a little time looking into each of them individually and maybe making a list of pros and cons yourself :smile:
Reply 16
I'm intrigued by what made you consider Newcastle as "rough and layered back" I think Newcastle's city centre is fab. It's almost like London in a sense, central London's great, and then you've got areas which aren't so nice - so in Newcastle, that would be Byker for example. However, the student presence is so great and focused around the city centre.

That description matched Birmingham to me, i found it really ugly :lol:
(The campus is nice though, but as an area, not for me)

Why did you find Birmingham so ugly?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EC
Why did you find Birmingham so ulgy?

From my visit, the buildings just weren't that easy to the eye :redface: But that's just me, and tbh it wouldn't matter as Edgabaston, where the campus actually is, was okay :smile:

But that's just me! I live in Surrey and go into Central London very often as it's just a 30 minute train ride, so maybe my expectations were too high back when I was in sixth form, who knows :lol:
Reply 18
From my visit, the buildings just weren't that easy to the eye :redface: But that's just me, and tbh it wouldn't matter as Edgabaston, where the campus actually is, was okay :smile:

But that's just me! I live in Surrey and go into Central London very often as it's just a 30 minute train ride, so maybe my expectations were too high back when I was in sixth form, who knows :lol:

How did you make up your mind when you chose Durham?
Original post by EC
How did you make up your mind when you chose Durham?

My uni story's a joke :lol:

I applied to Exeter, Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick & York to study Economics. I chose Exeter as my firm university and York as my insurance. Missed my grades for Exeter and was left with York. I wasn't keen on going to York uni, wasn't mad on the way they taught the course, nor going that far up North just for York. So I released myself into clearing and went for Durham because of the college system, it's a prestigious uni, it's close to Newcastle, so I could travel there for the city feeling and the nightlife was supposed to be great too. I decided that because I want to live and work in London post graduation, going somewhere completely different which was more historic and smaller would be a nice change :smile:

Quick Reply