The Student Room Group

A-Level Theatre Studies: Yay or Nay?

Hi! I'm in the Y11 at the moment so in the process of deciding on my A-Levels. I'm intending to study modern languages at uni so I'm definitely taking French and German but I'm not sure whether to take Theatre Studies for my third A-Level? I'm doing it at GCSE and I'm predicted an A (which it's looking likely I'll achieve) and I've had a passion for acting for a longtime and do tonnes of extracurricular theatre. I do enjoy the GCSE and especially love working with other people, devising and exploring plays. However, I don't like the coursework element at all and it bores me to tears which brings me to my first question: what is the written element of the A-Level like? My second question is has anyone had experience of doing languages A-Levels and theatre studies and if so do they compliment eachother well? And my third question is how difficult is to attain an A/A* when juxtaposed with, say, English lit (my other option which, whilst I'm fairly good at it, I'm also not sure whether to take it or not)? Anyone with any answers to these questions feel free to hmu! Thanks :smile:
English Literature is a more highly regarded subject, if you're thinking Russell Group I would choose English Literature. If you're a very good writer and analyser and enjoy reading, English Lit should be a breeze and is good combined with MFL.
Original post by eam0ss
. However, I don't like the coursework element at all and it bores me to tears which brings me to my first question: what is the written element of the A-Level like? My second question is has anyone had experience of doing languages A-Levels and theatre studies and if so do they compliment eachother well? And my third question is how difficult is to attain an A/A* when juxtaposed with, say, English lit (my other option which, whilst I'm fairly good at it, I'm also not sure whether to take it or not)? Anyone with any answers to these questions feel free to hmu! Thanks :smile:

Unfortunately, with the changes in specification, no-one has results to help you answer these questions.

Look up the specification to see what the coursework element comprises.

Are you planning to read a MFL degree?
Reply 3
I say go for it, Im currently doing History, Psychology and Drama and its great to have a subject that you've always enjoyed to help keep the pressure off. And I've just received an offer for the university of Manchester so it hasn't affected me in a negative way at all.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Unfortunately, with the changes in specification, no-one has results to help you answer these questions.

Look up the specification to see what the coursework element comprises.

Are you planning to read a MFL degree?

Yes I'm definitely going to do MFL at uni! Although 1% of me would like to audition for drama schools but since it's allegedly harder to get into drama school than Oxbridge I think I'll give it a miss for now!
Original post by eam0ss
Yes I'm definitely going to do MFL at uni! Although 1% of me would like to audition for drama schools but since it's allegedly harder to get into drama school than Oxbridge I think I'll give it a miss for now!

I would check what the A level requirements are at unis you might be interested in.

Then you are in a better position to choose :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest