The Student Room Group

What are your biggest turn offs on a first date?

Scroll to see replies

Blank staring at you for 5 long minutes, not an utter word said and you distract yourself by sipping coffee hoping he would atleast say something because you are just a bundle of nerves ! But nope you finish your coffee and the ice still hasn't been broken. Left afterwards in tears because I suddenly miss my ex :frown:
Original post by Supernova91
Being rude to the waiter ! :angry:

What if he flirts with the waitress :biggrin:
If they are quick to do stuff (sexaully)... will really put me off
The ex talk actually doesn't put me off. I find it interesting. Maybe it's because I'm a lesbian, and we tend to have different relationships with people's exes; if you're big into the 'scene' chances are you've run into each other (or more) anyway once or twice. Last first date I went on, she told me about her ex from a long-term relationship, and I think she meant it more of a heads-up, like "by the way I just got out of this, in case you wanted to run a mile".

She was one of the most amazing people I've ever met. (Sadly, I had to leave the country so that was the end of that.) I don't know whether it would work on most people, but I don't date much and had issues with an ex that make me pretty wary. Having someone say "this is what I've done in the past, this is what I want from the present, this is what might cause me to hold back now" diminished a lot of anxiety. Without that, I'm certain things wouldn't have gone as amazingly as they did.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RainMakesWhisky
I went on a date with a guy who mocked where I live "oh my god, people actually live there?" and told me that syphilis is really common in our city. Other than that:

Sounds like my sense of humour tbh
Not something I disliked but found weird: my very first date with my first was hesitant about even dating, but on the first date he wanted a kiss, made out and wanted to 'do it'. Thought it was weird to go from being really hesitant to suddenly being confident.

The relationship was toxic though.
- Vegan (I suppose I could take it, if it wasn't one of those preaching vegans)
- Loud or rude to the staff at the restaurant
- overly left wing (the type that thinks Corbyn is best potential leader ever, despises brexit and constantly moans how Trump is 'racist, sexist, misogynistic' etc etc etc)
- Doesn't like similar music
- Wears something revealing (yes, I understand ladies can 'wear what they want' but I'm a bloke and I know what blokes say and think about girls who wear revealing stuff)
- Too career focused, doesn't have focus on family, friendships etc.
Excessive swearing. I don't mind a woman swearing, but it just makes her sound really dumb when done in every sentence. I had drink with this one beautiful lady and we both got a bit tipsy, but she kept getting more and more vulgar in her language and I was just thinking that she's utter trash in my head. Long story short, we slept and I never called her again.
Going out for food somewhere too fancy would be a big no for me
Like if it's a first date, just make it a cafe or something y'know, like expensive places are just awkward
Also just going for food is so boring, like go do someting instead
Reply 89
Tfw your thread makes it to Today on TSR but it's clickbait :rofl:
Original post by fergijane88
Going out for food somewhere too fancy would be a big no for me
Like if it's a first date, just make it a cafe or something y'know, like expensive places are just awkward
Also just going for food is so boring, like go do someting instead

I always take my dates to the train station to play chicken. If I end up not liking her she accidentally falls over on the tracks.
Reply 91
Racism
Reply 92
Original post by R0ckTillWeDr0p
- Vegan (I suppose I could take it, if it wasn't one of those preaching vegans)
- Loud or rude to the staff at the restaurant
- overly left wing (the type that thinks Corbyn is best potential leader ever, despises brexit and constantly moans how Trump is 'racist, sexist, misogynistic' etc etc etc)
- Doesn't like similar music
- Wears something revealing (yes, I understand ladies can 'wear what they want' but I'm a bloke and I know what blokes say and think about girls who wear revealing stuff)
- Too career focused, doesn't have focus on family, friendships etc.

What DO you like? Lol
Original post by TheExtrovertGod
I always take my dates to the train station to play chicken. If I end up not liking her she accidentally falls over on the tracks.

oh chicken, how fun. Bet i'd beat u
As a girl, the first thing I don't appreciate is an excessive laddishness.
Then, I would not be interested in someone who's excessively selfish, spoilt and snob.
I don't like loud and rude people as well, and people who touch me when speaking.
Getting really political.
It's cool on the 2nd or 3rd date when you're more comfortable with that person and want to get to know them and the way they see the world better, but trying to drag someone into a heavy political discussion on the 1st date can just be awkward.
- Being rude to either the waiting staff or people who are serving us
- Being on their phones the whole time
- Killing every type of conversation you're trying to get started

Thankfully, current bf didn't do any of these things :love:
Original post by AperfectBalance
-Smoking is a instant leave for me vaping too
-Veggie/Vegan
- big political difference
- Peircing anything but earrings is a instant no.
- Expects me to pay for everything because I am a man
- No career prospects is a instant no
- I dont like lots of makeup, I prefer none.
- Overly feminine and immature
- Obsessed with Beauty and clothes and handbags ect.

I don't think 'first dates' are for you.
Reply 98
Texting while on a date is a no no :') Last one I went on, that's what she did.. needless to say, the whole situation didn't end well and it turns out she was texting another guy while seeing me xD
Original post by Chichaldo
I don't think 'first dates' are for you.

I have a girlfriend so yeah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending