The Student Room Group

How much do you spend at uni ?

In my first semester I spent around £300 altogether as I'm in catered halls so don't need to buy food
Would you say this is a lot or not much compared to what you spent ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
£300 is way less than how much I spent, but that's because I had to spend money on commute and food.

I don't really want to know how much I spent in my first semester, it probably would be more than twice the amount you spent... I just went out of control really :rofl:
Reply 2
Original post by fefssdf
In my first semester I spent around £300 altogether as I'm in catered halls so don't need to buy food
Would you say this is a lot or not much compared to what you spent ?

Omg £300. That's amazing. How??? Is it that cheap?
That's insane :redface:

Hats off to you though.

My spending habits are awful :lol:
Last term i spent £600
This term i aim to spend less as i am now going to start making my own packed lunches instead of buying from the uni shop :smile: can end up saving me like £10 per week :erm:
Reply 5
Original post by UWS
£300 is way less than how much I spent, but that's because I had to spend money on commute and food.

I don't really want to know how much I spent in my first semester, it probably would be more than twice the amount you spent... I just went out of control really :rofl:

Oh fair enough I think people who have to buy food sometimes struggle to budget cause it's tempting to get takeaways and that or go out for food
Reply 6
Original post by EC
Omg £300. That's amazing. How??? Is it that cheap?

Well I don't need to buy food and I don't have a gym membership which would've been like £200 and I go out a few times a week but I don't really drink much alcohol so I don't go around buying bottles of vodka for instance
Also I don't tend to splash out on clothes either as I'm of the opinion that as long as I have enough stuff to wear that I like them it's fine and there's no need to buy stuff just for the sake of it
Reply 7
I probably spent about £900 first term this year on stuff other than rent and my all-year student bus pass because I am a retard, cooked rarely, and became somewhat of an alcoholic.
Reply 8
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Last term i spent £600
This term i aim to spend less as i am now going to start making my own packed lunches instead of buying from the uni shop :smile: can end up saving me like £10 per week :erm:

Yeh honestly budgeting is a really good habit to get into
I am lucky in the sense I don't need to budget for food cause I get breakfast and dinner and £27 on a meal card each week which I can use to buy lunch on campus. I do however have to buy milk and cereal to have breakfast with at the weekends bad I miss brunch due to work commitments.
You really should start making your own lunches as constantly buying stuff from uni shops which are typically overpriced is such a waste of money. You can get a large multipack of crisps some bread and butter and cheap meat or cheese depending on what you have in your sandwiches or if you want something like pasta you could buy a large like 5kg bag and then cook it the night before to have cold
You can do it !!
Reply 9
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I probably spent about £900 first term this year on stuff other than rent and my all-year student bus pass because I am a retard, cooked rarely, and became somewhat of an alcoholic.

:rofl: :rofl:

I can't even cook.
Reply 10

Unfortunately many students struggle to budget at uni and it does surprise me cause when it comes to buying things like food it should be obvious where to shop and what things to buy in order to save cash. In terms of alcohol as well it is pretty expensive and I think that's why a lot of people end up going into their overdrafts as people end up spending maybe £10 a week on it and it all adds up. Are you planning on trying to linit your spending next semester ?
I spent £817 first semester
Reply 12
Original post by fefssdf
Unfortunately many students struggle to budget at uni and it does surprise me cause when it comes to buying things like food it should be obvious where to shop and what things to buy in order to save cash. In terms of alcohol as well it is pretty expensive and I think that's why a lot of people end up going into their overdrafts as people end up spending maybe £10 a week on it and it all adds up. Are you planning on trying to linit your spending next semester ?

£10 a week. :rofl:
This first week of second term I've spent around £72 on alcohol. Obviously this is unsustainable given my student loan. Idk, I'm just basically f**ked. I made packed lunches a few days this week, I've had soup for lunch today instead of going out and grabbing a greggs or something, but it doesn't make a dent in the alcohol costs I've imbibed
I don't care about budgeting right now. It's this f**king essay. I'm considering dropping off the course because I know I'll get a 0 and then I might not get on the four year and I need that much time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
Yeh honestly budgeting is a really good habit to get into
I am lucky in the sense I don't need to budget for food cause I get breakfast and dinner and £27 on a meal card each week which I can use to buy lunch on campus. I do however have to buy milk and cereal to have breakfast with at the weekends bad I miss brunch due to work commitments.
You really should start making your own lunches as constantly buying stuff from uni shops which are typically overpriced is such a waste of money. You can get a large multipack of crisps some bread and butter and cheap meat or cheese depending on what you have in your sandwiches or if you want something like pasta you could buy a large like 5kg bag and then cook it the night before to have cold
You can do it !!

Yeah i agree
I am also catered in my halls :smile:
My issue is that i usually wake up late and miss breakfast 😑 going to start turning up for breakfast as well i am paying for it lol
Yeah i agree with that
I will start and spend less money this term
My other weakness was takeaways at weekends
This term i will be cooking on weekends to save me money too:h:
Ahh nice suggestion with the pasta and multipack crisps thanks
Too much
Reply 15
Original post by AndrewSCO
I spent £817 first semester

Ah can't imagine spending that much
Reply 16
£10 a week. :rofl:
This first week of second term I've spent around £72 on alcohol. Obviously this is unsustainable given my student loan. Idk, I'm just basically f**ked. I made packed lunches a few days this week, I've had soup for lunch today instead of going out and grabbing a greggs or something, but it doesn't make a dent in the alcohol costs I've imbibed
I don't care about budgeting right now. It's this f**king essay. I'm considering dropping off the course because I know I'll get a 0 and then I might not get on the four year and I need that much time.

Sorry to hear that :/ how comes you have an essay I thought you were doing maths at Warwick ?
Reply 17
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Yeah i agree
I am also catered in my halls :smile:
My issue is that i usually wake up late and miss breakfast 😑 going to start turning up for breakfast as well i am paying for it lol
Yeah i agree with that
I will start and spend less money this term
My other weakness was takeaways at weekends
This term i will be cooking on weekends to save me money too:h:
Ahh nice suggestion with the pasta and multipack crisps thanks

It's just about changing your relationship with money and realising how much you're spending
Perhaps one week try and write down everything you buy and how much it all costs and then the next week try and budget a bit and see what the difference is
Reply 18
Original post by hezzlington
Too much

AH really ; how much did you spend in your first sesmester not including food and rent
Original post by fefssdf
Ah can't imagine spending that much

Don't even think that's too much. Including having to buy all food, I was spending £45 a week.

Quick Reply

Latest