The Student Room Group

Bath vs Manchester vs Birmingham vs Liverpool vs Newcastle

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sleepinglions
My uni story's a joke :lol:

I applied to Exeter, Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick & York to study Economics. I chose Exeter as my firm university and York as my insurance. Missed my grades for Exeter and was left with York. I wasn't keen on going to York uni, wasn't mad on the way they taught the course, nor going that far up North just for York. So I released myself into clearing and went for Durham because of the college system, it's a prestigious uni, it's close to Newcastle, so I could travel there for the city feeling and the nightlife was supposed to be great too. I decided that because I want to live and work in London post graduation, going somewhere completely different which was more historic and smaller would be a nice change :smile:

Wowwwwww and you seem quite happy ending up there.

So you actually enjoy Durham even if it's that small, you wouldn't see yourself somewhere else? I heard there are many posh people there and I also heard that about Bath, is it true? I don't know how to deal with really pretentious people.
Original post by EC
I heard there are many posh people [at Durham] and I also heard that about Bath

I told you that the city of Bath is pretty posh. I don't think there's any such stereotype for the students (there is at Durham).
Original post by EC
Wowwwwww and you seem quite happy ending up there.

So you actually enjoy Durham even if it's that small, you wouldn't see yourself somewhere else? I heard there are many posh people there and I also heard that about Bath, is it true? I don't know how to deal with really pretentious people.

Hence I do believe that wherever you end up going, you'll have a good time. Uni's great, I'm so sad that it's now coming to an end. I've met some of the most amazing people, get involved in as much as you can, because uni really is what you make it :h: If I didn't get involved in societies, sports, travelling around N.England, I'd have been bored shitless :lol:

I definitely enjoy being at Durham, because of my active involvement in the extra curricular things that I mentioned, plus my friends are absolute gems. However, I could still see myself somewhere else, not because my experience was bad, but I've visited my friends at other unis and they're different but still good fun, too? Yeah, there are definitely students who match up to the stereotype, as with Bath, going by my friends description, but you don't have to surround yourself with them. As a fresher, you'll be in halls most likely and no-one knows anyone. It's a fresh start for everyone, so it's easy to make friends and meet new people, and in that time, surround yourself with the right people, people that you can actually be yourself around. And by the end of term 1, you won't have to associate with people you don't want to anyway, you might notice them in your lectures and stuff, but it's really not that bad :smile: In fact, it's not a huge % that behave in that way, everyone just wants to have a good time and make friends :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by cambio wechsel
I told you that the city of Bath is pretty posh. I don't think there's any such stereotype for the students (there is at Durham).

Cambio...you were the one who told me to ask for more opinions. :colonhash:
My uni story's a joke :lol:

I applied to Exeter, Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick & York to study Economics. I chose Exeter as my firm university and York as my insurance. Missed my grades for Exeter and was left with York. I wasn't keen on going to York uni, wasn't mad on the way they taught the course, nor going that far up North just for York. So I released myself into clearing and went for Durham because of the college system, it's a prestigious uni, it's close to Newcastle, so I could travel there for the city feeling and the nightlife was supposed to be great too. I decided that because I want to live and work in London post graduation, going somewhere completely different which was more historic and smaller would be a nice change :smile:

What were the grade requirements back then for Exeter and Durham for Economics?
Original post by Ze Witcher
What were the grade requirements back then for Exeter and Durham for Economics?

Exeter was AAA and Durham was A*AA, but sorry forgot to add!! (The most important bit :lol:) I changed courses :h:
I loved Birmingham, and I'm planning on going to Newcastle.
I live near London and wouldn't consider Newcastle to be isolated
Exeter was AAA and Durham was A*AA, but sorry forgot to add!! (The most important bit :lol:) I changed courses :h:

Oh right, what did you change it to and was it up to your expectations? :smile:
Reply 28

I definitely enjoy being at Durham, because of my active involvement in the extra curricular things that I mentioned, plus my friends are absolute gems. However, I could still see myself somewhere else, not because my experience was bad, but I've visited my friends at other unis and they're different but still good fun, too? Yeah, there are definitely students who match up to the stereotype, as with Bath, going by my friends description, but you don't have to surround yourself with them. As a fresher, you'll be in halls most likely and no-one knows anyone. It's a fresh start for everyone, so it's easy to make friends and meet new people, and in that time, surround yourself with the right people, people that you can actually be yourself around. And by the end of term 1, you won't have to associate with people you don't want to anyway, you might notice them in your lectures and stuff, but it's really not that bad :smile: In fact, it's not a huge % that behave in that way, everyone just wants to have a good time and make friends :smile:

You're perfectly right, I just don't want to regret my choice for the next 3-4 years there. Do your friends at Bath travel a lot to Bristol or they organize house parties there? Did they get a placement?
Reply 29
Original post by A-LJLB
I loved Birmingham, and I'm planning on going to Newcastle.
I live near London and wouldn't consider Newcastle to be isolated

It's just quite far in the North. So how come you chose Newcastle if you loved Birmingham?
Original post by EC
You're perfectly right, I just don't want to regret my choice for the next 3-4 years there. Do your friends at Bath travel a lot to Bristol or they organize house parties there? Did they get a placement?

I know 2 people at Bath, but neither have ventured out to Bristol actually! They're both in their 2nd year, took gap years. House parties, I'm not too sure, but in 2nd year, house parties are definitely a thing :h: As for a placement year, I'm not too sure of that either :tongue:

haha, sorry!
Original post by EC
I really did so much research on each one before applying to them and I thought I chose them wisely, but apparently I'm not that happy with them as I should be. Ugh.

So you chose Manchester already?

I haven't chosen yet cos not all my university offers came in yet. Manchester will probably be my firm, if i don't get an offer from ICL.

To be honest at this point I'm still considering between Manchester and Bath. and like, I feel you, cos i realised there were actually other universities i could have applied to that would have been better. but oh well. I think if i can get into Manchester, I'll be ok with it. I think either way i'll enjoy it, cos I'm an international student, so its a new experience and all.

I think the thing I'm focusing on right now is that I will be able to enjoy my uni experience no matter where i go, if i make an effort to. and like that unis are all pretty good ones, so its fine :biggrin:
Original post by EC
It's just quite far in the North. So how come you chose Newcastle if you loved Birmingham?

Birmingham rejected me
However, I've fallen in love with Newcastle far more so I'd choose it anyway!
Liverpool has a great nightlife
Reply 34
Original post by hezzlington
Liverpool has a great nightlife

Yeah, but its course is BA and my other courses are BSc and the thing is the Newcastle and Liverpool don't have as many cool subjects as the others. :frown:
Original post by EC
Yeah, but its course is BA and my other courses are BSc and the thing is the Newcastle and Liverpool don't have as many cool subjects as the others. :frown:

Well..fair enough. Im only at uni for the partying anyway.. :wink:
Reply 36
Original post by hezzlington
Well..fair enough. Im only at uni for the partying anyway.. :wink:

:colonhash:
Original post by EC
omg I want advice about universities. I'm going to cryyyyy. :cry:

I've been to Birmingham campus it is lovely tbf, there's an art gallery and concert hall on site. I applied to Manchester and Liverpool but #rejected after crap grades
Reply 38
Original post by TheExtrovertGod
I've been to Birmingham campus it is lovely tbf, there's an art gallery and concert hall on site. I applied to Manchester and Liverpool but #rejected after crap grades

Would you say you liked Birmingham more than Manchester?
Original post by EC
Would you say you liked Birmingham more than Manchester?

Nah, Manchester was way better area. If you're really not set on Manchester though srs go Liverpool. Liverpool is amazing

Quick Reply

Latest