The Student Room Group

Applied for Provisional online: "You must send some information to DVLA."

Hello there,

Yesterday, at 7PM, I applied for my Provisional driving licence online. I added in my Passport number into the online form and chose to retrieve my Passport photo and signature. I did not give them my National Insurance number, however.

After I correctly added the information the DVLA required, I made the payment. After the payment went through, I received an e-mail from the DVLA saying that "You must provide more information to the DVLA" and that I must return an "application return form" to them so that they can process it and perform identity checks..

"Your payment has been accepted but in order for DVLA to complete your application, it requires you to do one more thing.

You must send some information to DVLA.

You will receive an application completion form in the post - please allow 1 week for delivery. Please complete this form and return it to DVLA so that your driving licence application can be submitted for validation checks.

Once DVLA has received your form it will be able to carry out the necessary checks and deal with your application as soon as possible."

I'm very worried about this because what other information does the DVLA require from me? What's an application return form? Has this happened to anyone else before? Online applications are supposed to take one week, but now I must give them back a form so it will take more than 3 weeks? Please help me out if you have had experience with this in the past.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mrwhitz
Hello there,

Yesterday, at 7PM, I applied for my Provisional driving licence online. I added in my Passport number into the online form and chose to retrieve my Passport photo and signature. I did not give them my National Insurance number, however.

After I correctly added the information the DVLA required, I made the payment. After the payment went through, I received an e-mail from the DVLA saying that "You must provide more information to the DVLA" and that I must return an "application return form" to them so that they can process it and perform identity checks..

"Your payment has been accepted but in order for DVLA to complete your application, it requires you to do one more thing.

You must send some information to DVLA.

You will receive an application completion form in the post - please allow 1 week for delivery. Please complete this form and return it to DVLA so that your driving licence application can be submitted for validation checks.

Once DVLA has received your form it will be able to carry out the necessary checks and deal with your application as soon as possible."

I'm very worried about this because what other information does the DVLA require from me? What's an application return form? Has this happened to anyone else before? Online applications are supposed to take one week, but now I must give them back a form so it will take more than 3 weeks? Please help me out if you have had experience with this in the past.

Thanks.

Eh, it's pretty standard. Be patient and stop worrying.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
Eh, it's pretty standard. Be patient and stop worrying.

What do you mean??
Original post by mrwhitz
What do you mean??

Why are you worried about it so much? Just fill the forms in and return them. If it takes 3 weeks to process then it'll take 3 weeks, I'm not sure what the rush is.
Reply 4
Original post by coldplasma
Why are you worried about it so much? Just fill the forms in and return them. If it takes 3 weeks to process then it'll take 3 weeks, I'm not sure what the rush is.

I'm worried because I don't know what the forms will be about or what information I need to give them.
Reply 5
Original post by mrwhitz
I'm worried because I don't know what the forms will be about or what information I need to give them.

I told you it's pretty standard for them to request you to fill the form in, I believe they do it if you've never had an adult passport before (if there's one signature on your passport), if you're not a UK national, or just at random. It's not a big deal, just do what they ask.
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
I told you it's pretty standard for them to request you to fill the form in, I believe they do it if you've never had an adult passport before (if there's one signature on your passport), if you're not a UK national, or just at random. It's not a big deal, just do what they ask.

Oh ok, but what do you think the form is going to be about? Like what will they be requesting?
Reply 7
Original post by mrwhitz
Oh ok, but what do you think the form is going to be about? Like what will they be requesting?

How old are you? Were you born here?
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
How old are you? Were you born here?

I am 16.6, and yes I was born here.
Reply 9
Original post by mrwhitz
I am 16.6, and yes I was born here.

Going to assume you don't have an adult passport with a signature on it?
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom
Going to assume you don't have an adult passport with a signature on it?

I actually do. I sent it off last Friday, received it this Tuesday. Lucky to have received it within 4 days. It is an adult passport and has my own signature.
Original post by mrwhitz

Why is this something to be concerned about? Just give them the information they ask for, it's all very benign. You're applying for a UK driving licence, not for membership to a sketchy strip club.
They'll probably be asking for your national insurance number since you didn't give it to them..
Reply 13
Why is this something to be concerned about? Just give them the information they ask for, it's all very benign. You're applying for a UK driving licence, not for membership to a sketchy strip club.

I know.. it's just that I'm worried of what they might ask for.
Reply 14
Original post by Jackieox
They'll probably be asking for your national insurance number since you didn't give it to them..

The only reason I didn't give it because the national insurance name is different from my passport/birth certificate. Basically after a few days of my birth, my name was modified a bit. Only one of the middle names were removed, so it doesn't match up my name if it kinda makes sense.
Original post by mrwhitz
I know.. it's just that I'm worried of what they might ask for.

Why, is there something you don't want the national driving licencing agency to know?
Reply 16
Why, is there something you don't want the national driving licencing agency to know?

Only worried about my NI number because of the name, see my post above for more information.
Reply 17
Original post by mrwhitz
The only reason I didn't give it because the national insurance name is different from my passport/birth certificate. Basically after a few days of my birth, my name was modified a bit. Only one of the middle names were removed, so it doesn't match up my name if it kinda makes sense.

It's still your NI number irrespective of your name. They can't verify your identity without the number; what did you expect to happen by not providing it?
Reply 18
Original post by IWMTom
It's still your NI number irrespective of your name. They can't verify your identity without the number; what did you expect to happen by not providing it?

Oh man.. I thought they didn't require it because I gave them the number of my valid UK passport. The thing is that the names are not the same, and I may be framed for identity fraud. Please help me!
Reply 19
Original post by mrwhitz
Oh man.. I thought they didn't require it because I gave them the number of my valid UK passport. The thing is that the names are not the same, and I may be framed for identity fraud. Please help me!

You're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Just give them the damn number and be done with it.

Latest

Trending

Trending