The Student Room Group

I'm a Oxbridge reject, AMA

This week I was rejected from Oxford University. Ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How do you feel?
So does that mean you're going to go to durham ?
Reply 3
Original post by JustPadz
So does that mean you're going to go to durham ?

...Yeah xD
If I can meet the conditions of my offer, that is.
So hopefully.
Reply 4
Original post by Rodney98
How do you feel?

I had been mentally preparing myself for rejection the moment interviews finished, so not that bad. I always knew my application wasn't the strongest (my GCSEs weren't incredible), and I stumbled a lot in the interviews (I'd always figure out the perfect answer to an interview question five minutes too late, which is apparently a common phenomenon). Oxford was always a bit of a pipe dream for me so I saw it coming.

It was harder for me to tell people that I'd been rejected from Oxford than it was to find out that I had been rejected from Oxford, in all honesty.
A lot of my friends seemed certain that I'd get in and whenever I'd mention how stiff the competition was or how I messed up the interviews a bit they'd assume I was just fishing for compliments or using false modesty. I wasn't xD
Original post by Anonymous
I had been mentally preparing myself for rejection the moment interviews finished, so not that bad. I always knew my application wasn't the strongest (my GCSEs weren't incredible), and I stumbled a lot in the interviews (I'd always figure out the perfect answer to an interview question five minutes too late, which is apparently a common phenomenon). Oxford was always a bit of a pipe dream for me so I saw it coming.

It was harder for me to tell people that I'd been rejected from Oxford than it was to find out that I had been rejected from Oxford, in all honesty.
A lot of my friends seemed certain that I'd get in and whenever I'd mention how stiff the competition was or how I messed up the interviews a bit they'd assume I was just fishing for compliments or using false modesty. I wasn't xD

literally same x
Reply 6

You handled the rejection well others would commit suicide or shoot up the school.
Oxford is overrated anyway.

What course have you chosen for uni?
Reply 7
This week I was rejected from Oxford University. Ask me anything.

Me too, mate. I was rejected pre-interview and it was tough or me. But after a few days I realised my life wasn't ruined; I still have great options.

My advice is to just not take it as a fault. There were just more competition this year.
Reply 8
Original post by Rodney98
What course have you chosen for uni?

History and English Literature :smile:

In a way, I'm pretty happy about that because if I had gotten a offer from Oxford it would've just been for lit and I would've needed to give up history, which is a big passion of mine.

What's cool about joint-honours too is that there's more flexibility and choice in the modules you take...Though there are some compulsory modules, In some ways you get to design your own course which is great.

Every cloud has a silver lining, I guess. :smile:
What did you get in your gcses and AS?
History and English Literature :smile:

In a way, I'm pretty happy about that because if I had gotten a offer from Oxford it would've just been for lit and I would've needed to give up history, which is a big passion of mine.

What's cool about joint-honours too is that there's more flexibility and choice in the modules you take...Though there are some compulsory modules, In some ways you get to design your own course which is great.

Every cloud has a silver lining, I guess. :smile:

Awesome combo :smile:
Original post by denkata
Me too, mate. I was rejected pre-interview and it was tough or me. But after a few days I realised my life wasn't ruined; I still have great options.

My advice is to just not take it as a fault. There were just more competition this year.

I'm sorry to hear that mate. :frown: You're absolutely right though, not everyone can get into Oxford, and for every hardworking person who's passionate about their subject and wants to get in, only roughly 1/5 can.

The way I see it is if I'm an Oxbridge Reject then I'm in good company, to be honest. :smile: Way smarter people than me haven't gotten offers from Oxford.
What did you get in your gcses and AS?

GCSEs: 4 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs, and a C.
AS: 3 As and a B.

Like I said, my GCSEs weren't incredible. xD I'm guessing my C (which is basically an Oxbridge F) didn't impress them much. xD
Reply 13
Way smarter people than me haven't gotten offers from Oxford.

^Exactly!
GCSEs: 4 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs, and a C.
AS: 3 As and a B.

Like I said, my GCSEs weren't incredible. xD I'm guessing my C (which is basically an Oxbridge F) didn't impress them much. xD

Without wanting to be rude, I'm fairly sure you were over-ambitious by applying to Oxford with such grades. I'm sure your other university choices will be great though!
do you feel like you've been throw back down to the world of academic peasants from the glorious skies of the oxbridge masterrace?
(edited 7 years ago)
It was harder for me to tell people that I'd been rejected from Oxford than it was to find out that I had been rejected from Oxford, in all honesty. A lot of my friends seemed certain that I'd get in and whenever I'd mention how stiff the competition was or how I messed up the interviews a bit they'd assume I was just fishing for compliments or using false modesty. I wasn't xD

This is actually a very important point - I remember being anxious about this at every stage of the application process.
Original post by NotKidding
Without wanting to be rude, I'm fairly sure you were over-ambitious by applying to Oxford with such grades. I'm sure your other university choices will be great though!

Not necessarily. A guy at my old college had worse grades at GCSE, I'm talking about 1 A, few Bs and D grades. He got an offer at AS level with AAAD and after getting A*A*A at the end is now at Cambridge studying HSPS. So OPs grades aren't bad for a Cambridge application as people with lower at GCSE have gotten in. I think it depends on your course. Not saying it's easier to get in but the competition is ridiculous for courses such as law and medicine
OP, hope you're ok. I just wanted to say not every talented individual is at Cambridge or Oxford. Many successful, revolutionary people didn't even go to university or dropped out at some point. I'm thankful that in life there isn't only one road to success but multiple, diverse roads. Wishing you the best with your other offers.
Reply 19
Do you think Oxford is overrated now? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest