The Student Room Group

I'm a Oxbridge reject, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
This week I was rejected from Oxford University. Ask me anything.

What university are you planning on going to?
GCSEs: 4 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs, and a C.
AS: 3 As and a B.

Like I said, my GCSEs weren't incredible. xD I'm guessing my C (which is basically an Oxbridge F) didn't impress them much. xD

What subject was the C in? Would it matter if it was in an irrelevant subject like Drama ?
Original post by NotKidding
Without wanting to be rude, I'm fairly sure you were over-ambitious by applying to Oxford with such grades. I'm sure your other university choices will be great though!

There are a few people I can think of who got in with GCSEs like that. The number of A*s isn't as much of an issue as the 3 Bs and a C I think.
Original post by NotKidding
Without wanting to be rude, I'm fairly sure you were over-ambitious by applying to Oxford with such grades. I'm sure your other university choices will be great though!

Don't worry, that's not rude at all :smile: Like I said, I always knew my application was a bit of a long shot. I'm glad I applied though, because I think failure can make you a humbler, more well-rounded person in the long run.
Don't worry, that's not rude at all :smile: Like I said, I always knew my application was a bit of a long shot. I'm glad I applied though, because I think failure can make you a humbler, more well-rounded person in the long run.

I disagree. I don't think it was ambitious. And even if it was. Ambitious is good. At least you tried.
Original post by Cherry82
OP, hope you're ok. I just wanted to say not every talented individual is at Cambridge or Oxford. Many successful, revolutionary people didn't even go to university or dropped out at some point. I'm thankful that in life there isn't only one road to success but multiple, diverse roads. Wishing you the best with your other offers.

Thank you, that's very kind <3
Thank you, that's very kind <3

Do you live in Kent by any chance?
This week I was rejected from Oxford University. Ask me anything.

Does you feel smug over the fact that Oxbridge acceptees now have to deal with the stress of meeting their offer as well as the stress of their degree? I know all my friends who got rejected feel the same
...Yeah xD
If I can meet the conditions of my offer, that is.
So hopefully.

what made you choose durham?
Original post by ProspVacSchemer
This is actually a very important point - I remember being anxious about this at every stage of the application process.

I'm sorry to hear that, and you're most definitely not alone.

People who say stuff like "Oh you'll definitely get in, no question about it" and "Stop fishing for compliments, you obviously have a place!" are usually well intentioned and are coming from a good place, but it kind of kills you with kindness because it puts you under so much more pressure.

When everyone's expecting you to suceed, failure hurts that much more.

It gets to the point where you're striving to suceed not so much for yourself, but as so not to disappoint your friends and family, and that's a really unhealthy way of seeing life.

The day before I got the news, most people were saying that they're 100% sure I have a place (which they couldn't possibly know). Only one friend said to me "No matter what that letter says, good on you for getting as far as you did and don't think for a second that anyone will think less of you for it." I really appreciated that.
Original post by UWS
Do you think Oxford is overrated now? I

Nah. : 3
When people are in awe of Oxford before hearing back and then suddenly come to the conclusion that Oxford is overrated the second they get rejected, I find that a little superficial.

I don't think Oxford is above reproach (nothing is above reproach), but there's no criticism you can make about Oxford that you wouldn't have known before applying. If these problems with Oxford didn't bother you beforehand (if you applied that's certainly a sign that they didn't), there's no reason they should suddenly bother you and convince you the university is overrated thereafter, y'know?

I think Oxford is a brilliant university and I'm thankful for getting an interview. I may even apply to do my masters there if my undergrad degree goes well. :smile:
Original post by Ze Witcher
Do you live in Kent by any chance?

Dorset xD
Original post by FrenchNerd2
Does you feel smug over the fact that Oxbridge acceptees now have to deal with the stress of meeting their offer as well as the stress of their degree? I know all my friends who got rejected feel the same

Nah, not really. My offer for Durham is actually higher than what my offer for Oxford would've been (A*AA vs AAA).

I'm not doubting that an Oxbridge degree has a huge work load, but for most Oxbridgers it's more than worth it when they graduate.
Original post by maroumarou

That's a good point actually, when they're so many better universities e.g. LSE, UCL, KCL, even manchester and warwick (I think). Not to mention the location of durham in terms of employment opportunity is rubbish.
What size are you feet?
Original post by maroumarou

Original post by JustPadz
That's a good point actually, when they're so many better universities e.g. LSE, UCL, KCL, even manchester and warwick (I think). Not to mention the location of durham in terms of employment opportunity is rubbish.

I liked the idea of the collegiate system, it's pretty high up on the league tables (I think it's 6th this year?), and I really like the cosy feel of it as such a small and historical city. Everyone there seems really friendly and I felt right at home right away when I visited.

LSE, UCL, and the other London Unis are really presitguous and amazing in their own right, but I'm not much of a big city person. Somewhere small and cosy like Durham is just better suited to me.

Also it has its own bee keeping society. So that's pretty cool ahaha.
Original post by beeninetytwo
What size are you feet?

Five and a half.

Original post by S2M
What university are you planning on going to?

I have offers from Durham, Exeter, Cardiff, and Kent. My plan at the moment is to firm Durham and put Kent as my insurance.

Original post by User3939
What subject was the C in? Would it matter if it was in an irrelevant subject like Drama ?

It was in maths. I had the flu for a lot of my exams (including one of my maths papers) which is probably what dragged it down, though I did get special consideration from the exam board.

Wouldn't know if getting a C in a subject not relevant to your degree choice would matter. I guess it would depend on the university and other factors of your application, like the quality of your personal statement or any extenuating circumstances. But I'm not an expert.
Hmmm, you do realize most employment opportunities after you graduate will be in London right?

Anyhow if being in the city doesn't suit you fair enough

The only one I'm wondering about is

" it's pretty high up on the league tables (I think it's 6th this year?)"
Which league table is that may I ask ?
Reply 38
Five and a half.

I have offers from Durham, Exeter, Cardiff, and Kent. My plan at the moment is to firm Durham and put Kent as my insurance.

It was in maths. I had the flu for a lot of my exams (including one of my maths papers) which is probably what dragged it down, though I did get special consideration from the exam board.

Wouldn't know if getting a C in a subject not relevant to your degree choice would matter. I guess it would depend on the university and other factors of your application, like the quality of your personal statement or any extenuating circumstances. But I'm not an expert.

Oh still very good universities. :smile: What subject?
Would you consider possibly doing post-grad at Oxbridge or was your heart set specifically on Oxbridge undergrad?

Quick Reply

Latest