The Student Room Group

gcse geography help!!

How can I go from a D to potentially an A in GCSE geography? Does anyone have any tips on how to get better at geography?
Original post by eboyd
How can I go from a D to potentially an A in GCSE geography? Does anyone have any tips on how to get better at geography?

Depends what exam board you're doing & what the grade boundaries that your school uses. At my school they used A level boundaries so I got a C but in reality I got an A*, so make sure you check official grade boundaries.

Tips
1) Learn case studies - they're important to know in brief detail
2) Annotate the question & figure out what they're asking you
3) Mind map, flash cards, bulleted notes - whatever helps you revise
4) Past papers - same questions come up every year (learn mark scheme for these)
Reply 2
My exam board is CCEA. I definitely think I'll try making mind maps because they seem to help a lot of people. I find geography so boring and really I just need lots of motivation
Original post by eboyd
My exam board is CCEA. I definitely think I'll try making mind maps because they seem to help a lot of people. I find geography so boring and really I just need lots of motivation

Hi I'm also doing ccea gcse geography and I got an A in unit 1 so I have an answer.

1) never leave revision to the last minute, I sat my unit 1 in exam back in May and I started revision in February, I'll be starting revision for unit 2 this February for my exam this May/June.

2) Do loads of past papers - questions are really repetitive, especially the case studies.

3) ask you teacher to mark your papers to see where you're going wrong and for them to give advice.

4) USE the mark schemes, honestly they are brilliant for exams. Would you believe that for the river derwent/Mississippi case studies on unit 1 I literally sat and re-written the answers like 1000 times until they got into my head and when my exam came along in May I knew the mark scheme answer of the top of my head so I think I got full marks for it - so definitely use mark schemes.

4) have you got the ccea's gcse geography revision book? You should buy one if you haven't, really really useful and full of all the information you need.

And yes there are some subjects we find boring, I do single award science and I recently sat my physics module - the most boring thing I've ever learnt in my life - would have sent you to sleep but I still revised for it, sometimes you do need that motivation even if you don't want to look near it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by adz234
Hi I'm also doing ccea gcse geography and I got an A in unit 1 so I have an answer.

1) never leave revision to the last minute, I sat my unit 1 in exam back in May and I started revision in February, I'll be starting revision for unit 2 this February for my exam this May/June.

2) Do loads of past papers - questions are really repetitive, especially the case studies.

3) ask you teacher to mark your papers to see where you're going wrong and for them to give advice.

4) USE the mark schemes, honestly they are brilliant for exams. Would you believe that for the river derwent/Mississippi case studies on unit 1 I literally sat and re-written the answers like 1000 times until they got into my head and when my exam came along in May I knew the mark scheme answer of the top of my head so I think I got full marks for it - so definitely use mark schemes.

4) have you got the ccea's gcse geography revision book? You should buy one if you haven't, really really useful and full of all the information you need.

And yes there are some subjects we find boring, I do single award science and I recently sat my physics module - the most boring thing I've ever learnt in my life - would have sent you to sleep but I still revised for it, sometimes you do need that motivation even if you don't want to look near it.

Thanks so much for your advice. I've bought two of the revision books and they seem really helpful, so I hope they will help and I hope I find the motivation for both unit 1 and 2 in May.

Quick Reply

Latest