The Student Room Group

My Daughter was rejected from Oxford. I came home to this...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by CoolCavy
That is the same for all art though and a lot of modern art is on the internet such as the piece you linked.
I get what you mean as i've been in galleries of new work that is strictly off photograph limits but still if it is in a public display or the internet or anywhere people have the right to have an opinion on it.
And tbh i really don't care (not trying to sound rude cos i really like u as a person :redface:) if a piece isn't worthy imho then im not going to buy it. Not that i buy art anyway i prefer to do my own or give it to other people.

:facepalm:
You should put a copyright on them and sell them in modern art fairs to rich people who pretend to know something about art whilst they just want to speculate on it and avoid tax. You're not fit for the modern art world. :biggrin:

More seriously, successful modern artists like Koons are now like entrepreneurs directing factories. They produce their work in almost identical series so they can sell more of them. I think that art should be unique, otherwise it's just design.
Original post by auburnstar
This.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I got rejected and it caused a flare up of symptoms. But seeing the league table (where on one of them Durham is higher for music than Cam or Ox), the MSt course (which looks a lot more pleasing than the undergrad??) and hearing about the people who were rejected at 17 but who now teach there made me get over it.

There are people who are Syrian refugees, people with no access to education/employment, people who live in abusive homes. None of these people would be concerned about a 98.7% rank versus a 99% rated university. Over-pampered is the right word for it, considering how lucky most of us truly are.

Just because other people in the world are worse off than you doesn't mean you're allowed to be disappointed. The girl isn't a Syrian refugee, she's a teenager who wanted to go to Oxford and got rejected and it hurt. That's her life. The Surian refugee you care about so much probably isn't thinking about the child who has just lost her whole family in India because thst's not their life.

Yes there are a lot of pro whingers around but this concept of 'you should be grateful because someone else in the world is worse off than you' is moronic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
She seems like a very creative person. I am sure the rejection will be a greater loss to them than to her.
Original post by CoolCavy
:lol:
i give them to people because it is one of the only surefire ways to make people happy, i just love seeing people's reactions when i draw themselves or their pets or something they wanted because it just makes me happy to know i've actually managed to cheer someone up i care about.
Well good on them tbf, i guess if there is a demand there will be a supply
and lmao, but who says design can't be unique? :mmm:
obviously the actual product when manufactured in industry wont be but the intellectual property of the designer should be uniquely his/hers if protected by a patent. Like the anyway-up cup, designed by a designer then sold to a manufacturer who now makes them in vast quantities to a global market but the original idea was unique and solved an issue that up until that point nobody else had (the issue being toddlers spilling their drinks)
(lol got me started now :getmecoat:)

vms are closed dude!
lol this post is hilarious and very telling of our generations relationship to art - if you saw a language you had never seen before you wouldn't just dismiss it for pure trash surely??? she clearly just has a different way of expressing her upset for not getting in fkin hell she doesn't need to be compared to the works of the Tate
People that get rejected from Oxford express their disappointment with abstract art. People rejected from London Metropolitan University
hit the streets and start dealing drugs.
Woah, I know nothing about art but that looks really cool. It's really mesmerising. To me, it looks like the black smudges in the centre near the bottom people sitting with their backs to us, looking at lots of different screens.
Reply 87
Original post by Danny Dorito
While some people were elated this week with their decision from Oxford, some were left heartbroken.

Louisa Saunder's daughter had applied to Oxford, but had received a rejection letter. By the time Louisa had come home from work, her daughter had made this out of her rejection letter.

Personally I this is such a beautiful example of making lemonade out of lemons.

More like oysters out of oysters
Original post by James385
People rejected from London Metropolitan University
hit the streets and start dealing drugs.

I thought that was chemistry teachers with only a few months left to live?
I like it. I like the way the dark blue slowly renders the text unreadable, almost as though there was a sudden realization of dread and disappointment.

Modern art is not my cup of tea a lot of the time, but it isn't just about visual aesthetics.

It's about:
- Originality.
- Emotions.
- The observer.
- Lots of other things.

In order to appreciate it you have to know the history behind it.

Lmao. This is 'education'.
Is that blood? :rofl:

Scary
Naaa she applied for classics 😂
Original post by Willy Pete
I can see why she got rejected if she was applying for art.
Right, I read this as Louise Saunders applied to oxford, and when Louise came home from work her (presumably) 5 year old daughter made this out of her rejection letter. Omg that is so cute and creative and thoughtful!
Reads others comments....oh.
Original post by Paracosm
The thread is staying where it is :smile: I removed some comments which had nothing to do with the piece. Any further moderation queries should be directed to AtCT and not here, thanks! :yy:

I like the fact the paracosm of TSR goes above art itself ~

Sooo TSR ~
:3
Reply 95
Personally I think this shows someone handling the rejection badly. Most people will have binned the letter and moved on with their lives.. but she's made such a big deal out of it. It's certainly not something I'd describe as inventive like some of the newspaper headlines.
Just saying but I'm fairly sure she made this as a joke not something to hang in the Tate, and most of her other artwork is figurative, not abstract.
Original post by thisisamess
Just saying but I'm fairly sure she made this as a joke not something to hang in the Tate, and most of her other artwork is figurative, not abstract.

Yeah she'd have smeared it with excrement and nailed it to a pickled hedgehog if she was trying to get into the Tate :wink:
Original post by Joinedup
Yeah she'd have smeared it with excrement and nailed it to a pickled hedgehog if she was trying to get into the Tate :wink:

There was a modern performance art exhibition in Canada..... I won't tell the details, you can probably extrapolate from there xD
Original post by yudothis
I kept my Oxford rejection letter til I got an offer one from Cambridge 3 years later :smile:

Did you apply to Cambridge as a graduate? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest