The Student Room Group

2017 entry Open Offer Holders

We few, we happy few. With Brasenose Admin's confirmation to a Trinity open offer holder that we are not "the least highest ranked successful candidates" I thought we should gather together and celebrate our special status.

So, introduce yourself with your subject and how you feel about it plus anything else you want to say.

History and I'm embracing the surprise like a mystery late Christmas present.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, I too have recieved an Open offer for History. All rather surreal not knowing exactly which college I'll be attending but also terribly exciting.

I shouldn't expect Oxford allocate loads of these offers, so it's quite the unique position!
Hi all, further to what SonOfAGeek posted, below is what Brasenose Admin sent me regarding open offers. I'm very glad to have found out that we are not the bottom of the list and from further research have concluded we must have had a strong application as we are strong enough to be accepted at any college at Oxford!

Spoiler

Hello everyone, I've received an open offer for French and Spanish and I originally applied to Somerville. I'm really rather excited! I still am not quite sure why we were picked though, do you think it's just random selection or do you think they chose people they thought would be suitable anywhere?
Reply 4
Hi!
I have an open offer for Geography underwritten by Christ Church.
I'm so excited but a little stressed about exams now...
Original post by SonOfAGeek
We few, we happy few. With Brasenose Admin's confirmation to a Trinity open offer holder that we are not "the least highest ranked successful candidates" I thought we should gather together and celebrate our special status.

So, introduce yourself with the college that underwrote your offer, your subject and how you feel about it plus anything else you want to say.

Catz, History and I'm embracing the surprise like a mystery late Christmas present.

Haha I am that Trinity open offer holder :smile:

PPE underwritten by Trinity!
congrats to everyone! St. Anne's for PPL here, lmao I was so confused because I was rejected from my first choice college but then my second choice gave me an open offer? my plan is to score really well on my AP tests and become a stronger candidate so hopefully another college will pick me :biggrin:
I wouldn't think anythings random in the behemoth that is the Oxford Admissions Process. The fact we're guaranteed a place in my eyes means our colleges viewed us particular versatile and strong candidates that any college would be happy to take.

Out of interest is anyone going to be requesting feedback? That may shine some more light onto the scheme.
I found this comment by Brasenose Admissions interesting, any thoughts?

"Different subjects operate different schemes but each shares the common feature that a student with an Open Offer has a guaranteed place."
Reply 9
Not many successful candidates ask for feedback, perhaps terrified Oxford will decide they made a terrible mistake 😂

I am sure open Offer Holders must have certain attributes in common but I'm content that the Brasenose answer implies that we are solid at least mid-ranked successful applicants who are deemed likely to commit to Oxford despite this uncertainty (that last bit may be the key).
Congratulations to you all, I got an open offer from Somerville for Biology! I was soo shocked to get an offer and was confused at first about what an open offer meant. How many of are there of us- is this a common thing?
oh **** I just asked for feedback from both my colleges DDD:::
Hi!
I've received an Open Offer for PPE, underwritten by Lincoln. I really loved Lincoln and would be thrilled if it became my college in case I met my conditions. I'm a little worried, too, though. As I am an EU student, it's really difficult for me to find out exactly how I'll need to proceed to get all the important issues, mainly financial stuff such as loans and bursaries, sorted out. I'm really nervous but incredibly happy at the same time :smile:
Hi everyone!

I've received an open offer for Mathematics and Computer Science, underwritten by my second college, Somerville. I certainly would hope that I can get into Somerville as it is actually closer to the faculties than from my first-choice college, St. Catz. Not knowing which college definitely adds to the surrealness.

I also asked for feedback since I just like to analyze data. I also can know if I really need to get the required offer (in case that I am in the borderline between getting in or not). I don't think Oxford would reverse an offer (except maybe from rejected to actually getting an offer e.g. someone called them and told them that s/he is not going). So hopefully we are fine :tongue: (@elainechan666)

I think open offer meant that your first choice college and the second college have filled in their place but still think that you are Oxford's standard. It does not necessarily mean that you are in the border line. Maybe other colleges tend to go with their first-choice students since they interviewed them and the tutors knew them personally. Also, maybe (unluckily) you applied to the college with out-of-the-norm students there.

Personally I really liked St. Catz too. They have an amazing JCR. Like, wow. Nevertherless, I am very happy to get a place in Oxford, regardless of any college. The thought of being in a community with people like you (Academically minded) seems amazing! :smile:
Original post by frodo-baggins
Congratulations to you all, I got an open offer from Somerville for Biology! I was soo shocked to get an offer and was confused at first about what an open offer meant. How many of are there of us- is this a common thing?

Roughly 1 of 3 applicants receives an open offer. So there's a lot of us :biggrin:.
Did you all get to choose two different colleges? I only had one choice... Is this a science/humanities thing? If I remember correctly, science applicants are bound to be interviewed by two different colleges, right? Thanks :smile:
Original post by TerezaMalacova
Did you all get to choose two different colleges? I only had one choice... Is this a science/humanities thing? If I remember correctly, science applicants are bound to be interviewed by two different colleges, right? Thanks :smile:

We are randomly assigned to a second-choice college based on algorithms. :smile:
Original post by alvinvin7
We are randomly assigned to a second-choice college based on algorithms. :smile:

I see... That's interesting :biggrin: I was afraid I was missing on something :smile:
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Congratulations on achieving an offer! We suggest you approach Trinity with queries about Opens. We would point out, however, that an Open Offer Candidate needs to be someone considered to have a very good chance of meeting the conditions and with a high enough ranking to be accepted by another college should Trinity (or whichever college makes the Open) not themselves have a missed conditional offer or a withdrawal. On TSR there is a mythology that Open Offers are like 'Pebbles' in 101 Dalmations (pardon the analogy!). In reality, the subject coordinators require Opens to satisfy specific criteria - we don't like the terms 'best' and 'worst' since everyone with an offer is rated above the required standard, but Open picks generally don't go to the least highest ranked successful candidate in the group for the reasons we've explained. Brasenose Admissions

So we really are not at the borderline based on this! :biggrin:
Well my Dad built a model using FOI data on HAT scores by college, college 'import' percentages, # of places by college for a History (OUSU data). & a few other bits and predicts my most likely landing spots (if I get my grades) as 1. St. Hugh's 2. Somerville 3. LMH 4. Catz (under-wrote offer, would not be in top 10 otherwise) 5. St. Hilda's 6. Exeter 7. Mansfield 8. St. Anne's 9. Lincoln =10. Oriel/Hertford. He said he'd refine it if I can find more data but be interesting to compare this to what happens 😂

UPDATED 15/1/17 Gave him some extra data on HAT, admissions including Permanent Private Halls & he modified to 1. St. Hugh's 2. Somerville 3. LMH 4. St. Benet's 5. Regent's Park 6. Catz 7. Mansfield 8. St. Hilda's =9. Exeter Lincoln =11. Oriel/St. Anne's/Hertford.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending