The Student Room Group

M2 Edexcel question

The first question (7) Is fine centre is ; (0, -3/2pi)

For the next question I'm not sure which angle I'm supposed to take.
I just need help finding out which angle I need to take.

Thank you.

@NotNotBatman @SeanFM @kingaaran
Original post by NoahMal
The first question (7) Is fine centre is ; (0, -3/2pi)

For the next question I'm not sure which angle I'm supposed to take.
I just need help finding out which angle I need to take.

Thank you.

@NotNotBatman @SeanFM @kingaaran

Draw a diagram and a line going from A through the centre of mass. Imagine that line being completely vertical and then you should be able to 'see' what the horizontal angle is. I'll snap you what I mean.
Reply 2
Original post by kingaaran
Draw a diagram and a line going from A through the centre of mass. Imagine that line being completely vertical and then you should be able to 'see' what the horizontal angle is. I'll snap you what I mean.

The angle is theta but I dont understand how it isnt the angle GAO
Reply 3
Original post by NoahMal

The angle is theta but I dont understand how it isnt the angle GAO

A better diagram would show 'A' at the top since the framework is suspended from 'A'. But you can still imagine it in this diagram.

Then the vertical must pass through A and the COM (you should know this in M2 - let us know if you didn't) so the line AG must be the vertical. So the angle GAO is the angle between AO and the vertical, not the horizontal.
Original post by notnek
A better diagram would show 'A' at the top since the framework is suspended from 'A'. But you can still imagine it in this diagram.

Then the vertical must pass through A and the COM (you should know this in M2 - let us know if you didn't) so the line AG must be the vertical. So the angle GAO is the angle between AO and the vertical, not the horizontal.

couldn't have said it much better
Reply 5
@kingaaran @notnek
Is this the angle I need to find ?
Reply 6
Original post by NoahMal
@kingaaran @notnek
Is this the angle I need to find ?

Your link isn't working. A link to your gmail won't work for us.
Reply 7
Original post by notnek
Your link isn't working. A link to your gmail won't work for us.

Reply 8
Original post by NoahMal

Your diagram looks good but your arrow points to the angle between OG and the horizontal but you need the angle between OA and the horizontal.

Quick Reply

Latest