The Student Room Group

Daily Mail readers find out humans originate from Africa

Scroll to see replies

I love the Daily Mail's comment sections. They give me a good laugh.
Original post by Tempest II
I'm sure this is was taught in my first year in secondary school. I assume it's a widely believed theory & therefore common knowledge?

Lol right? I was just here thinking isn't this ancient news??? Nothing new...
Original post by Good bloke
Belief in gods is irrational, by definition, as there is no credible scientific evidence to support it. All irrational beliefs are superstitions. All superstitions are irrational beliefs. It is a matter of definition.

If fact, religion is merely institutionalised superstition.

There is no difference in value between believing that an unevidenced deity causes thunderstorms, or life or whatever, than in believing that bad things will befall you if you spill the salt, step on pavement cracks or see a black cat.

I cannot be held responsible for your disappointment in having that simple truth pointed out to you.

To not believe in something for which there is no credible supporting evidence is rational, not irrational. You, a religious person, are rational for not believing that there is no chocolate teapot orbiting Mars as there is no credible scientific evidence to support such a belief. Atheists lack of belief in the existence of gods is, similarly, rational (even if it is wrong) and therefore not superstitious.

As for respect, I respect your right to believe whatever you like for whatever reason you like. I will not necessarily respect your actual belief, and neither should I. If you said you believe (as many have, historically) that the gods must be appeased by regular human sacrifice I would respect neither your belief nor you. But I would respect your right to hold it.

Whether you believe that the person you quoted and I (as I believe in Jesus as my Lord and Saviour and the creator of Heaven and Earth), are "irrational", that's your belief. No one questioned or called your belief in no God as "irrational" so you should not call others the same, simply for not sharing your own views. I believe in God. I do not seek neither do I care for evidence that shows God exists, as most atheist seek because i believe He does.

I do not go about being passive aggressive to atheists because of their lack of belief. Rather, I preach my belief to them and allow them to make their choices on what to believe on. We all have choices anyways. You cannot force a camel to drink water, neither can one force anyone to have belief, you can only preach to people and allow them to make their minds on what to believe.

God can decide to show Himself now to all of us, and you can then decide to believe Him because you have seen an evidence that He does exist. However, this won't be fair, because you only believed in Him because you saw Him. There is great faith, satisfaction and belief in believing a God that even though we cannot see Him, but yet believe Him and are laughed at and scorned for our belief, than those that want evidence of His existence. Wanting evidence is too easy and unfulfilling. Won't you rather work for it by believing in God, facing mockery etc and be rewarded than to just be given see the evidence and then believe? I know my answer. As my Bible says in Mark 8 vs 12 "Why does this generation ask for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to it".

For you to call belief in God "superstitious" and "irrational" is passive aggressive and suggests that you view those of us that believe in God as laughable and foolish. Have heard it all before, but I still choose to believe in God, even with my knowledge of Science etc, because I would rather believe in God than to believe in humans, because humans are fallible and I would rather not spend my eternity in woes of not believing in God.

I would rather live my life that there is a God, than to live my life as if there is no God, and die to find out that there is indeed a God. Because then it would be too late and no knowledge of science etc would be able to save you then.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vanny17
I do not go about being passive aggressive to atheists because of their lack of belief. Rather, I preach my belief to them and allow them to make their choices on what to believe on.

Because then it would be too late and no knowledge of science etc would be able to save you then.

As an intelligent person, though, you must understand that even on a purely linguistic level, there is a difference between the meanings of the words "belief" and "knowledge".

Conflating the two doesn't do you any favours.
Original post by Good bloke
Belief in gods is irrational, by definition, as there is no credible scientific evidence to support it. All irrational beliefs are superstitions. All superstitions are irrational beliefs. It is a matter of definition.

If fact, religion is merely institutionalised superstition.

There is no difference in value between believing that an unevidenced deity causes thunderstorms, or life or whatever, than in believing that bad things will befall you if you spill the salt, step on pavement cracks or see a black cat.

I cannot be held responsible for your disappointment in having that simple truth pointed out to you.

To not believe in something for which there is no credible supporting evidence is rational, not irrational. You, a religious person, are rational for not believing that there is no chocolate teapot orbiting Mars as there is no credible scientific evidence to support such a belief. Atheists lack of belief in the existence of gods is, similarly, rational (even if it is wrong) and therefore not superstitious.

As for respect, I respect your right to believe whatever you like for whatever reason you like. I will not necessarily respect your actual belief, and neither should I. If you said you believe (as many have, historically) that the gods must be appeased by regular human sacrifice I would respect neither your belief nor you. But I would respect your right to hold it.

You'd have to be a real loser to meaninglessly attack religious people on an unrelated thread. Grow up and get a life instead of wasting so much time on this site for no reason.
Original post by cuckledoooo

You'd have to be a real loser to meaninglessly attack religious people on an unrelated thread. Grow up and get a life instead of wasting so much time on this site for no reason.

what numbered dupe is this, remind me? :hmmmm:
Original post by Drewski
As an intelligent person, though, you must understand that even on a purely linguistic level, there is a difference between the meanings of the words "belief" and "knowledge".

Conflating the two doesn't do you any favours.

That's just being pedantic. The essence of my reply still stands. You have the choice to believe what you want, we are all entitled to our choices and it's a free world at the end of the day. God bless.

Says the person who made a brand new account on TSR to post this singular comment.
Original post by Zargabaath
what numbered dupe is this, remind me? :hmmmm:

You went to DMU so I can see why you'd join the internet atheist bandwagon. Stay in your lane loser.
You went to DMU so I can see why you'd join the internet atheist bandwagon. Stay in your lane loser.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Original post by Vanny17
That's just being pedantic. The essence of my reply still stands. You have the choice to believe what you want, we are all entitled to our choices and it's a free world at the end of the day. God bless.

It might well be pedantry, but that in itself doesn't mean it's wrong.

If you have a belief then you have a belief, that's absolutely fine and in many ways and in many circumstances admirable.

But presenting that belief as a fact and equating it to knowledge (which I'm not saying you're doing, but we both know some people do) doesn't help the argument that they're articulating.

Pedantry, or correct use of language?
After all, what discussion isn't helped by better communication?
Another moron atheist, this time a cambridge reject. Slightly better than Zargabaath, but still a reject. Stay in your lane.

:toofunny:
Reply 32
Original post by Vanny17
Whether you believe that the person you quoted and I (as I believe in Jesus as my Lord and Saviour and the creator of Heaven and Earth), are "irrational", that's your belief. No one questioned or called your belief in no God as "irrational" so you should not call others the same, simply for not sharing your own views. I believe in God. I do not seek neither do I care for evidence that shows God exists, as most atheist seek because i believe He does.

I do not go about being passive aggressive to atheists because of their lack of belief. Rather, I preach my belief to them and allow them to make their choices on what to believe on. We all have choices anyways. You cannot force a camel to drink water, neither can one force anyone to have belief, you can only preach to people and allow them to make their minds on what to believe.

God can decide to show Himself now to all of us, and you can then decide to believe Him because you have seen an evidence that He does exist. However, this won't be fair, because you only believed in Him because you saw Him. There is great faith, satisfaction and belief in believing a God that even though we cannot see Him, but yet believe Him and are laughed at and scorned for our belief, than those that want evidence of His existence. Wanting evidence is too easy and unfulfilling. Won't you rather work for it by believing in God, facing mockery etc and be rewarded than to just be given see the evidence and then believe? I know my answer. As my Bible says in Mark 8 vs 12 "Why does this generation ask for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to it".

For you to call belief in God "superstitious" and "irrational" is passive aggressive and suggests that you view those of us that believe in God as laughable and foolish. Have heard it all before, but I still choose to believe in God, even with my knowledge of Science etc, because I would rather believe in God than to believe in humans, because humans are fallible and I would rather not spend my eternity in woes of not believing in God.

I would rather live my life that there is a God, than to live my life as if there is no God, and die to find out that there is indeed a God. Because then it would be too late and no knowledge of science etc would be able to save you then.

To be fair, when you put a belief out to the public, it doesn't become immune from attack because it can hurt your feelings. That's an unfortunate consequence of free speech - people are allowed to make well reasoned arguments using dictionary definitions against your beliefs.

Being a Doubting Thomas might be a negative trait in the Bible, but in the real world without being such you probably wouldn't make it past childhood. It's weird how you live almost all of your life based on evidence (I assume), and you're probably a heavy user of Occam's razor, but abandon those for this particular belief. It's almost...

Spoiler

Not deciding to show yourself to the masses leads to the mess of religions (which can't all be right), fights over those said religions, and heresy and apostasy being a terrible thing in many (funndamentalist) religious societies but not that bad a thing when you weigh up the facts. Wanting evidence is the mainstay of the post-Enlightment West. It works. Empiricism is the path that has led to the most truth, and made life as easy as it is today.
Also, God did give a sign in the Bible when he was challenged by believers of an alternate faith. Unfortunately, the Christians in that story took it as reason to massacre the alternate believers, so maybe no signs is a good thing.

"Passive aggressive" is a bit far, and all those conclusions are connotations that only you have imagined
Unfortunately, God is fallible too. How much depends on how strongly fundamentally you interpret the Bible.

What if there is a God, and he rewards instead the skeptical; the rational; the objective thinkers? The people who do good not because they have to or risk eternal hell, but because it makes them feel good, or they like helping people? That seems like a more rational hypothesis, no?
Original post by Vanny17

For you to call belief in God "superstitious" and "irrational" is passive aggressive and suggests that you view those of us that believe in God as laughable and foolish.

No it doesn't. It just means that I understand whether a belief is based on evidence or not.
Original post by Trapz99
Ok, let's agree to disagree. You're not going to convince me and I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you. No need for insults.

What's the point of being insulted by what we can empirically observe in the world - by the truth, as best we can determine it?
Learned about this when I was younger than 10, actually amazing that some adults don't know this.
I knew this for awhile, I'm pretty sure it's nothing new
Ironically, belief in a higher power, spirituality, imagination and a capacity for abstract thought are all traits of a highly evolved species.........
Reply 38
Original post by Antspitfire333
Ironically, belief in a higher power, spirituality, imagination and a capacity for abstract thought are all traits of a highly evolved species.........

Well done for ranking them in ascending order of importance
can't we please return to the original purpose of this thread which was to take the piss out of the Daily Fail ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending