The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student1256
One of the autopool criterias is 3 A*'s, right? So does that also mean autoinvite for interview? as you'd have to have gotten to interview stage at least to be pooled

Yeah it means you automatically get an interview. But as it's been said before, it's better to be pooled by merit rather than just get auto-pooled.
Original post by thebelljar98
Ahh I almost went for Corpus but applied to Trinity in the end! Oh my god I am the exact same... I had two awful dreams about being rejected a few weeks before my actual rejection. They were so haunting... and now they are true. It is so difficult, I don't want to tell anyone I've been rejected as so many people had high hopes for me. Yes I completely understand where you are coming from with the perfectionist and never been rejected from anything before. It's the first time I've never been good enough "academically" and wow, it really does sting.

Yeah, I hate having to tell people. Me and my friend were so nervous and about 2 minutes after I opened the email in school, she came up to me and asked what the news was (she had already received her offer) and I thought I was okay until I told her I was rejected and I had to consciously stop myself from crying, like I could feel it welling up and I was thinking "woah what is happening, do not cry in school, please please please"... I didn't think I would be so affected.

Around 30 people from my school got offers so I've had to sit through groups of people all around me getting super excited for life at Oxbridge over the past few days and planning out what they're going to do while I just have to sit there and overhear it all. Luckily the majority of them have been considerate enough to not be constantly shouting about it but there's a few who have zero tact. I understand the excitement and I am genuinely so pleased for everyone but I can't lie that it does feel like rubbing salt into a raw wound. I guess that's more my problem than theirs though.

My older brother and everyone else at his old secondary school were told they weren't Oxbridge material so he never applied and regrets it now. For that reason, he was eager for me to not make the same mistake and he sort of guided me through the whole thing and advised me on how to make my application as strong as possible. I feel like I've let him down. Same with my parents. They keep saying I haven't but I know deep down they're disappointed and it's so upsetting.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Already planning what college to apply to next year tbh :lol: either Christs, Kings, or Sidney Sussex.

I've not even finished the application rollercoaster yet!

Should probably have more faith in myself but Monday isn't gonna be great I can tell

You'll do fine! Figure out which one of your interviewer's the biggest Sherlock fan and drop a few things. :biggrin:
Original post by fablereader
You'll do fine! Figure out which one of your interviewer's the biggest Sherlock fan and drop a few things. :biggrin:

Damn, this is what I should've done :biggrin:

Or better yet, they were lawyers- I should've blown them away with my knowledge of Suits and the fact I worked out who killed Lila before even the halfway point of HTGAWM hahah!

Nah but for real, I'm sure the interviews will be swell. Just don't worry, you've got this! :smile:
@jneill

Hi,

I was wondering whether you can ask for interview feedback if you were given an offer. If this is possible, since I was pooled, would I ask the college that I chose initially or the college that I was pooled to?

Thanks
Original post by ReeJess99
@jneill

Hi,

I was wondering whether you can ask for interview feedback if you were given an offer. If this is possible, since I was pooled, would I ask the college that I chose initially or the college that I was pooled to?

Thanks

No. But you can ask your DoS when you go up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's assuming I get the grades! Thanks for the prompt reply though.
@jneill What's the protocol for asking for feedback if you got rejected?

Severely considering reapplying next year? Do you have any statistics about reapplication? How many are successful etc?

thanks in advance :smile:
If you got pooled, but were unsuccessful, would the original college mention this or not necessarily? Thanks.
I got an offer from a different college to the one I applied to... but in the letter they didn't mention that I had been pooled :/ for those of you who were pooled, did the letter specifically state that you had been pooled?
Original post by neyscar
If you got pooled, but were unsuccessful, would the original college mention this or not necessarily? Thanks.

Yh they would. They would say something along the lines of ‘unfortunately no other college accepted you from the pool’ in the letter/email
Original post by theamazingone
I got an offer from a different college to the one I applied to... but in the letter they didn't mention that I had been pooled :/ for those of you who were pooled, did the letter specifically state that you had been pooled?

I applied to Kings. Got an email and a letter telling me I had been pooled. And given an offer by another college. Didn't name the college. So I had to wait for my pooling college to email/write to me - which they did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neyscar

Yeah I applied to Kings and in my rejection letter they stated I got put in the winter poll but unfortunately no other college fished me out
Original post by theforeigner
Has anyone else had a reduced offer from Jesus College? I thought I did badly in my first interview so wasn't expecting an offer at all.
In the end I did get an offer and when I got my conditions it turns out it's reduced from A*A*A to A*AA which according to my tutors is unheard of. So I was wondering if maybe it's just a Jesus Bio NatSci applicant thing or if I apparently did exceptionally well without knowing it?

It could be due to school rank & type (eg failing comp), which wouldn't surprise me as Bristol have started implementing one grade reduced offers for state school students in low-performing areas (although Oxbridge doesn't seem to do this yet). Or it could be that they think A*A*A is too ambitious but really want you.
Original post by fablereader

Original post by Gold-Confetti
Damn, this is what I should've done :biggrin:

Or better yet, they were lawyers- I should've blown them away with my knowledge of Suits and the fact I worked out who killed Lila before even the halfway point of HTGAWM hahah!

Nah but for real, I'm sure the interviews will be swell. Just don't worry, you've got this! :smile:

I'm going down in my Sherlock T-Shirt so I hope there's a Sherlock loving DOS that will give me a few brownie points :biggrin: thanks guys!!

I'll keep you all updated on here if you want I'll turn it into a mini diary (since nobody else is really doing much on here) and keep you all updated with my travels :tongue: only if you guys want/if I'd be allowed

if not ill do it on my GYG thread :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sherlokh
Yeah I applied to Kings and in my rejection letter they stated I got put in the winter poll but unfortunately no other college fished me out

Ah, ok. I think I was just looking for a way to make myself feel a little better about the situation but looks like I was rejected straight away. Oh well. Sorry you didn't get fished out!
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or down - us northerners do exist you know :tongue:
Original post by neyscar
Ah, ok. I think I was just looking for a way to make myself feel a little better about the situation but looks like I was rejected straight away. Oh well. Sorry you didn't get fished out!

Aww I'm really sorry

Not being fished out is honestly heartbreaking because I was /so/ close and I missed it
Hey @SteamboatMickey! If, in this very hypothetical situation, you don't get into Medwards, would you consider going to Durham or would you re-apply to Cam?

I'm in this really tricky situation where I know it'll probably be for the best if I just resign myself to Durham, but this optimistic part of me thinks I was so close this year and if I apply again to Cambridge next year, I'll get in. I'm so conflicted :frown:
Original post by sherlokh
Hey @SteamboatMickey! If, in this very hypothetical situation, you don't get into Medwards, would you consider going to Durham or would you re-apply to Cam?

I'm in this really tricky situation where I know it'll probably be for the best if I just resign myself to Durham, but this optimistic part of me thinks I was so close this year and if I apply again to Cambridge next year, I'll get in. I'm so conflicted :frown:

No idea. I think it depends on how well I do on results day! If I get AAAA-A*AAA I'll go to Durham, if I get A*A*AA-A*A*A*A* I'll reapply to Cam.

I'm counting my EPQ grade in that by the way.

Latest

Trending

Trending