The Student Room Group

How much do you spend at uni ?

Scroll to see replies

I'm quite like you! However, I don't live in self-catered halls but spent £314.19 last semester, not including rent or the admin fee for next year's house, but I did spend two weeks at home due to placement. So it's certainly possible for other people if you budget and I do eat pretty healthily. It helps cooking batch meals like lasagna, chilli con carne and cottage pie etc.
Generally I only spend money on food and I always buy the cheapest stuff, so I don't worry about budgeting. Exceptions are that I also buy a lot of diet coke and also tobacco, which are habits I need to stop.
Reply 42
Same I don't get it either hence I drink the absolute bare minimum e.g. One can of cider
Reply 43
Original post by Mistletoe
Generally I only spend money on food and I always buy the cheapest stuff, so I don't worry about budgeting. Exceptions are that I also buy a lot of diet coke and also tobacco, which are habits I need to stop.

Ah try and cut down on the smoking if you can ; you'll appreciate the rewards in the long run :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by clarkey500
I'm quite like you! However, I don't live in self-catered halls but spent £314.19 last semester, not including rent or the admin fee for next year's house, but I did spend two weeks at home due to placement. So it's certainly possible for other people if you budget and I do eat pretty healthily. It helps cooking batch meals like lasagna, chilli con carne and cottage pie etc.

Yeh batch meals is a good idea for sure
Next year I'll be self catered so trying to budget on food will be a nice challenge
Reply 45
I don't tend to budget much since I tend to buy cheaper but filling foods, and I put aside all my rent/ bill/ flying home money at the start of each semester. Need to keep an eye on it though this semester as I am due up at the hospital 3 times a week now for the next 10 weeks, meaning I had to get a bus pass.
Original post by fefssdf
Yeh batch meals is a good idea for sure
Next year I'll be self catered so trying to budget on food will be a nice challenge

It's actually quite relaxing making them as well. Some of my flatmates think I'm crazy for doing it but some of them are in their overdraft...

Original post by fefssdf
Same I don't get it either hence I drink the absolute bare minimum e.g. One can of cider

Same again! Another way I save money.
Reply 47
Original post by difeo
About £1500

FIFA coins
£15-£20 food budget this term. No more alcohol (I only spent like five pound a week, maybe ten, but my tolerance is ridiculously high so it isn't worth it unless I need something to drink and water is free).

Trying to spend a maximum of 40 a week, even that I'll try to be super frugal. But I say about 20 a week is my average.
Reply 49
Original post by SA-1
FIFA coins

Pls I'm a baller

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by difeo
Pls I'm a baller

Posted from TSR Mobile

Luke would comment on your pass rate and agree with your statement

But I love you hehe x
Reply 51
Original post by SA-1
Luke would comment on your pass rate and agree with your statement

But I love you hehe x

Love you bae x
Original post by fefssdf
The way my uni organises catered halls is extremely good as I get breakfast dinner and also get £27 on a meal card each week which I can spend at any of the places on campus offering food and in my case that's a lot of places so I end up not spending any money on food but I still know of people who will order takeaways for example which is rather silly
Look at what your uni charges for catered halls cause in some cases it really isn't worth it as some palces I know only give you a certain amount of money on a card and you're expected to get all your food with it or other places won't provide meals at the weekend so in these cases it's probably better of going self catered

What uni is that, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Around £1,400. My monthly living allowance after rent is in and around £450.
(edited 7 years ago)
It really depends on your own individual income/expenditure.
Reply 55
Original post by Shaaayxp
What uni is that, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Nottingham :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
Oh my and yh you see so many people who say they won't go out cause they have no money yet still end up going when people beg them and end up knee deep into their overdrafts ; I know someone who was in like -250 by the end of the first semester

Luckily I worked a ton over christmas and summer so I've got enough money. No need for overdrafts either because of grants from my university and a local charity :biggrin:.

I don't know how people can get to like £17 by the end of the semester
Less than £300 excluding stuff like long term memberships and christmas presents for my family. I had £120 in cash at the start of uni and I took out around 10 bank transactions which were between £10-30 each. Other stuff I didn't include: gym and club memberships, safety equipment and christmas presents for my family. I spent money on some things I won't again like a £5 burger at freshers week (yes that was pointless) since I thought some people I knew would be there but the "secret social" was a bit too secret and ice skating.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by JustAGeogStudent
Luckily I worked a ton over christmas and summer so I've got enough money. No need for overdrafts either because of grants from my university and a local charity :biggrin:.

I don't know how people can get to like £17 by the end of the semester

Yh it really isn't that hard to budget tbh ; people just spend too much on silly things like takeaways and alcohol ect

Quick Reply

Latest