The Student Room Group

She's 12 and she's calling me daddy, what do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Treblebee
Well, tbh I always used to wonder about this too, bc my siblings and I address our parents as Mummy and Daddy (oldest is 17), and nobody else seems to do it... but one time, I heard a PhD student referring to his "daddy", so I figured that it's probably just that with some people, the title sticks. I just can't imagine calling my father "Dad" to his face XP

I called my father "dad" when I was about 11 and he didn't care
Original post by currysawcc
Interesting title!

If it's something that's bothering you, maybe talk to her about it and see how she feels about calling you dad instead - it may just be force of habit. It's a name, it may just stick! And if it isn't hurting you then it's certainly nothing to worry about. I have eighteen year old friends still calling their parents mummy and daddy, it's just a habit and what they've grown up with! :smile:

Do you think there is any age when this should stop though?
My sister is 27 and still says 'mummy'
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
My 19 year old friend still calls her father "daddy".

Did he buy her a pony to cheer her up after crashing her 2016 Range Rover?
Original post by Darren A
My 12 year old daughter is turning 13 soon and she's still calling me daddy. I just want advice from anyone here who is a parent and has children of this age calling them this. It doesn't bother me too much but I am curious as to what age they stop doing that and say mum or dad for example. Thanks!

Don't worry mate.

It's only awkward when she has a bf & youre having a lovely meal at the table and she says 'daddy can you pass the salt' and both you and her boyfriend reach for it...
Original post by currysawcc
Interesting title!

If it's something that's bothering you, maybe talk to her about it and see how she feels about calling you dad instead - it may just be force of habit. It's a name, it may just stick! And if it isn't hurting you then it's certainly nothing to worry about. I have eighteen year old friends still calling their parents mummy and daddy, it's just a habit and what they've grown up with! :smile:

That flew right over your head haha.
Original post by ChickenMadness
My sister is 27 and still says 'mummy'

What does she call your dad though?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I've heard far older girls refer to parents as mummy/daddy

I referred to my Mum, as mum and got laughed at once. :h: I feel happy in the knowledge that Prince Charles still calls the Queen "mummy" :lol:
What does she call your dad though?

still dad i think
Someone my age nearly 18 still calls his mum mummy. I think it is not to do with age really, it is more of an endearing way to address you
Original post by cherryred90s
Don't worry mate.

It's only awkward when she has a bf & youre having a lovely meal at the table and she says 'daddy can you pass the salt' and both you and her boyfriend reach for it...

this is worrying
Original post by ChickenMadness
still dad i think

there you go then!

Daddy is worse
bump
bump
Well played.

I still do this with my parents and I'm 19
bump
My 12 year old daughter is turning 13 soon and she's still calling me daddy. I just want advice from anyone here who is a parent and has children of this age calling them this. It doesn't bother me too much but I am curious as to what age they stop doing that and say mum or dad for example. Thanks!

Trolling is an art form and you my good sir have a BA in it 1st class
In a daddy-wanna-spank-me kinda way? :wink:
Reply 38
A lot of posh people still call their parents 'mummy' and 'daddy'

bump

bump

bump

How much more ****ing advice do you need man?
Reply 39
whenever i hear a person calling their parents mummy and daddy and it isn't a little kid, it's always a female ...and usually they sound posh/upper class/upper middle class

Quick Reply

Latest