The Student Room Group

Worries About Saving Up For University

Hi guys,
So in September I will (hopefully, if I get the grades) going to Salford University, living in Peel Park Quarter. I have been searching for a job for about a year now, and I've applied to so many places but I've been either getting ignored or rejected, and I'm starting to worry that I won't have enough money for University, especially the accommodation at the moment. On the accommodation website it says that there will be rooms opening up soon and people are telling me to get a room as soon as they are available cause they fill up fast. The original deposit is £200, and me and my family simply do not have that sort of money (until like christmas), no I'm not sure how they will be able to help out with that. I believe the rent is then £118 for 50 weeks. Also of course I will be applying for student loans but they aren't open to apply yet and apparently I don't get my first student loan until after Freshers.
I'm just really worried at the moment that I won't be able to get a room/job in time for University. Does anyone have any advice?
Original post by BeckyKeegan123
Hi guys,
So in September I will (hopefully, if I get the grades) going to Salford University, living in Peel Park Quarter. I have been searching for a job for about a year now, and I've applied to so many places but I've been either getting ignored or rejected, and I'm starting to worry that I won't have enough money for University, especially the accommodation at the moment. On the accommodation website it says that there will be rooms opening up soon and people are telling me to get a room as soon as they are available cause they fill up fast. The original deposit is £200, and me and my family simply do not have that sort of money (until like christmas), no I'm not sure how they will be able to help out with that. I believe the rent is then £118 for 50 weeks. Also of course I will be applying for student loans but they aren't open to apply yet and apparently I don't get my first student loan until after Freshers.
I'm just really worried at the moment that I won't be able to get a room/job in time for University. Does anyone have any advice?

Look at private accommodation options that might have cheaper deposits, besides that price per week won't be sustainable even on a maximum loan . For example I ve just found one that is £1 deposit, however does your family own a home as otherwise you could have a problem from the guarantor side.
where are you thinking of going to uni? £118 a week is double what I paid for the majority of my time at uni, I lived in a cheap city but still... it's a lot - if you can find anything cheaper I'd think carefully about taking it

the other thing to think about is that lots of unis won't return your deposit if you don't achieve a place - so until you have your grades back you're risking it being £200 down the drain (and you'll have to pay another £100-300 at the uni you end up at)

see if you can contact your accommodation department to see how halls typically fill up, my guess is that there will be plenty of spots open when results come out as (if nothing else) plenty of people will have missed their grades so their rooms will free up... although you might have to rush in quickly then or put your name on a waiting list shortly before... some unis have more than enough rooms for 1st years and others have nowhere near enough so it's worth inquiring with someone who knows - there is always a lot of panic about 'making sure you get a room' which makes people make bad decisions about how to get a room and usually the panic is overblown

as for work - keep applying, lower your standards as far as possible - look at call centers as they'll pretty much take anyone, if you're 18 you could try care work, they don't usually have high standards for bank staff, local shops, and think if you have any skills you could sell on a more casual basis (e.g. babysitting, cleaning, tutoring, craft skills etc) and if you have anything to sell

I assume your parents give you some money at the moment given you don't work - maybe you could discuss taking less money and some of it being saved so you can use it for a deposit
Original post by BeckyKeegan123
Hi guys,

You don't need a 50 week contract as an undergraduate, and in fact at many universities they only give those to postgraduate students. You also clearly need to find out how much student finance you will be getting before you decide what accomodation you will apply for, google 'student finance calculator' especially as you can't rely on the bank of mum and dad. I can see Salford does offer cheaper accomodation so you need to consider that. With regards to the deposit, you can try emailing the uni and see if they can wait for the deposit until a bit later but no guarentees- some unis are more lenient on this front than others. Wherever you go you'll likely need a deposit. Most student accounts offer an interest free overdraft of between £200-£500 in the first year which you can get before your loan comes in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending