The Student Room Group

Should I apply to "Study Abroad" or not... ?

So I'm having a doubt about my application here. (I'm a non-UK applicant)

I'm applying to 5 different unis, in 3 of the 5 applications I chose "BSc International business with study abroad".
But usually it seems that it is easier to get accepted at just "International business" without the "study abroad", and if I work hard during the first year of so of uni, I should be able to go study abroad anyway, even without having applied to a "study abroad" course on UCAS.
So isn't it smarter to apply to courses without the "study abroad" mention ? Because I assume that if I apply to a "study abroad" degree and get rejected, they wont give me an offer for the non-study abroad course, so I'm screwed, right ?

Also, since I didn't apply to a "study abroad" course in each 5 universities, I didn't insist in my PS on the fact that I wish to study abroad (even though I do). I thought of sending specific personal statements to the specific universities via email (mentioning my UCAS ID) to tell them why I want to study abroad with their specific partnerships; is it a good idea or not ?

Thank you.
Original post by JoeJoeJoeJoeJoe
So I'm having a doubt about my application here. (I'm a non-UK applicant)

I'm applying to 5 different unis, in 3 of the 5 applications I chose "BSc International business with study abroad".
But usually it seems that it is easier to get accepted at just "International business" without the "study abroad", and if I work hard during the first year of so of uni, I should be able to go study abroad anyway, even without having applied to a "study abroad" course on UCAS.
So isn't it smarter to apply to courses without the "study abroad" mention ? Because I assume that if I apply to a "study abroad" degree and get rejected, they wont give me an offer for the non-study abroad course, so I'm screwed, right ?

Also, since I didn't apply to a "study abroad" course in each 5 universities, I didn't insist in my PS on the fact that I wish to study abroad (even though I do). I thought of sending specific personal statements to the specific universities via email (mentioning my UCAS ID) to tell them why I want to study abroad with their specific partnerships; is it a good idea or not ?

Thank you.

If they can't make you an offer for a study abroad version of a course they will consider you for the standard course before rejecting your application.

Apply for the courses you want to study on most. Trying to trick admissions like this is a waste of time.
Original post by PQ
If they can't make you an offer for a study abroad version of a course they will consider you for the standard course before rejecting your application.

Apply for the courses you want to study on most. Trying to trick admissions like this is a waste of time.

Really ?? Will they send me like a personal e-mail telling me that they do consider me for the standard course ? As a non-uk student I find this to be unusual. If I haven't applied for the standard course, why would they even think about offering it it to me ?

Also I don't understand what you were talking when you mentioned me "trying to trick admissions", were you referring to my 2d paragraph ? I thought it would be quite a good idea to contact the university with a PS email telling them why I'm particularly interested in their specific course & university

Thanks
Im applying to do philosophy and politics
But Birmingham is offering a year abroad and that for me was a massive plus! I love the idea of meeting new people and having siiiiick experiences along the way!
Even if you do choose that course im sure theres the option to not take the year abroad if you choose not to anyway
Reply 4
Original post by PQ

I applied for a course with and without a "study abroad" year at UCL. Should I have just applied for the one with the "study abroad"?
If so, I should cancel the other one and put a course from another uni in... I can still do this 1-2 weeks after the UCAS welcome letter right
Reply 5
@PQ I would kindly ask you for a reply, as the supposed deadline for changes is soon for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending