The Student Room Group

GPs urged to commit to seven-day service or lose funding

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
Poll the public on how to spend NHS funds and you'd end up spending 90% of the health budget on 'kicking out the immigrants' I guarantee it.

Hospitals all publish public accounts - how many of those have you read recently, seeing as you feel so strongly?

Uhm, your very ignorant aren't you. 90% spending wont go to " kicking out the immigrants " thats an over exaggeration.

Again, do you know how they spend everything? No, deal was done in 2015 for 5 year plan SET by the directors and they even got higer funding to make sure they have enough.

I also can't see the budget numbers.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
What do you currently study or have you studied?
Politics?

I'm highly interested in politics and can do it without degree, my mathematical mind sort of helps out, it doesn't have a genius to figure political stuff out.
Original post by ckfeister
I'm highly interested in politics and can do it without degree, my mathematical mind sort of helps out, it doesn't have a genius to figure political stuff out.

So what do you study or have you studied?
it doesn't have a genius to figure political stuff out.

Evidently not
Uhm, your very ignorant aren't you. 90% spending wont go to " kicking out the immigrants " thats an over exaggeration.

Again, do you know how they spend everything? No, deal was done in 2015 for 5 year plan SET by the directors and they even got higer funding to make sure they have enough.

Are you referring to the Five Year Forward View? Off the top of my head, the head of NHS England suggested that the NHS would need an extra £8-20 bn from 2015 to 2020 to plug the funding gap based on 2015's data on NHS usage. The Government pledged £8 bn - so we're already looking at just the minimum amount that was asked for. However, this does not take the ageing population into account - as NHS services are expected to be used a lot more over the coming years due to the health problems of increasingly older patients, it would require significantly more than £8 bn just so the increased demand could be met. As such, the NHS is already fighting an uphill battle.

And this doesn't even begin to estimate the dire amount of funding and lack of clear strategy on social care - nursing/care homes for the elderly and the like.

:facepalm:

Like, what is your actual point? Democracy asked multiple times and you gave nonsensical responses. What is the argument you are here to make? Final chance for you to show some understanding or not continuing further. Cba with armchair warriors who don't actually have any knowledge of the topic.

But for now:

Of course it was an exaggeration - as much a joke as I assume your post was. Actually suggesting that we determine NHS spending by referendum would be utterly ludicrous! :laugh:

Google 'hospital financial reports'. You'll get yearly detailed budget numbers from every hospital in the country. The funding increase will, of course, be spent on similar things.

Do you understand why the NHS is in crisis at the moment? Tell me, I'm interested.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MattJacks
GPs urged to commit to seven-day service or lose funding http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38620935

This isn't possible. Spreading the work force thinner over a greater time period just won't leave the NHS in a fit state, what does the government hope to achieve?

Don't see why not if tools like this can be fully utliised.
https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/articles/eight-technologies-will-change-health-and-care?gclid=CKOUq9elwtECFUa4Gwod2asNGw

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/819186361882161152

Perhaps only a matter of time until future doctors work mostly in call centres.....:hide:

Once a successful model exists in one country, its only a matter of time before it enables doctor outsourcing - just like in any other industry. One obvious advantage is call centre doctors working in different time zones - 24 hour care anyone?.....
(edited 7 years ago)
I wonder if Tess knows what Exit Block is. Probably not considering the state of social funding.
Make people work for their benefits and put this saved money into the NHS. It's not right that nurses are doing the equivalent of 2 weeks of work in a week
Original post by That'sGreat
Make people work for their benefits and put this saved money into the NHS. It's not right that nurses are doing the equivalent of 2 weeks of work in a week

Painting benefits claimants as the enemies of the working classes is one of the biggest cons of the modern day.
(edited 7 years ago)
So this is genuinely the government's current plan to tackle the NHS crisis. All of the following has been said in the last 7 days

Make GPs come to A&E to discharge patients: http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/commissioning/commissioning-topics/urgent-care/gps-in-ae-and-care-homes-can-cut-unnecessary-attendances-says-hunt/20033593.article

Make GPs come to nursing home to discharge patients (as above).

Make GPs come to the wards to discharge patients http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/commissioning/commissioning-topics/urgent-care/gps-asked-to-come-into-hospital-to-discharge-patients-and-take-on-care/20033619.article

Make GPs have their doors open 12 hours a day 7 days per week (as per opening post).

Whilst:

13% vacancy rate of GP jobs
1 in 3 GPs to retire in the next 5 years
8 in 10 GPs already say they cannot provide safe care any more due to workload.

https://www.bma.org.uk/news/media-centre/press-releases/2017/january/government-scapegoat-gps-instead-of-taking-responsiblity-for-crisis-in-nhs

I'd laugh but... this is real. They have actually come out and said all of these things, with no other plan on the horizon...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Guys I'm sorry but this WHOLE post is so confusing :/ Could someone explain? Im still learning the NHS structure and all that is happening! Also I know this is going to sound really stupid; the article said: "Some GPs in England have been warned they could lose extra funding if they fail to meet their commitments to keeping surgeries open for longer" - It sounds as if GPs are the ones operating? As far as i understood, GPs refer patients to surgeons right?? Sorry :frown:
Original post by Plato1
Guys I'm sorry but this WHOLE post is so confusing :/ Could someone explain? Im still learning the NHS structure and all that is happening! Also I know this is going to sound really stupid; the article said: "Some GPs in England have been warned they could lose extra funding if they fail to meet their commitments to keeping surgeries open for longer" - It sounds as if GPs are the ones operating? As far as i understood, GPs refer patients to surgeons right?? Sorry :frown:

I'm guessing you're not British? It's a quirk of language. The offices where GPs work and see patients are traditionally called surgeries in the UK, though they don't actually do any surgery (well, a few may do the odd mole removal etc, but very minor stuff). What surgeons do is usually called operating/operations, though "surgeries" in this context is creeping in from across the pond.

This particular political situation has nothing to do with surgeons or operating, it's about GPs keeping their offices (surgeries) open for longer. Even though there's no money, out-of-hours GP already exists, GP recruitment is in crisis, weekend appointments have a much higher rate of patients not showing up etc - I had lunch with a GP friend yesterday after her Saturday morning surgery and she said that one in three of her patients didn't attend their appointment - somehow the government have decided this is the magic bullet that will fix the NHS. :rolleyes:
Reply 33
Original post by Helenia
I'm guessing you're not British? It's a quirk of language. The offices where GPs work and see patients are traditionally called surgeries in the UK, though they don't actually do any surgery (well, a few may do the odd mole removal etc, but very minor stuff). What surgeons do is usually called operating/operations, though "surgeries" in this context is creeping in from across the pond.

This particular political situation has nothing to do with surgeons or operating, it's about GPs keeping their offices (surgeries) open for longer. Even though there's no money, out-of-hours GP already exists, GP recruitment is in crisis, weekend appointments have a much higher rate of patients not showing up etc - I had lunch with a GP friend yesterday after her Saturday morning surgery and she said that one in three of her patients didn't attend their appointment - somehow the government have decided this is the magic bullet that will fix the NHS. :rolleyes:

Wow thank you SO SO much this is super helpful :':wink: Really appreciate it (and that article makes way more sense now!!)
- And yes I'm an international student so this whole NHS/UK thing is really new to me
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Inexorably
I genuinely think the conservatives are determined to destroy the NHS, so that they can then put forward a case for privatisation.

What they're doing is absolutely sickening.

And no one really gives a ****. The UK is full of the most docile people imaginable.
Reply 35
May and Hunt seem completely delusional, and are fully embodying "the people are fed up of listening to experts". When told by the red cross that there is a humanitarian crisis the response was "no there isn't", and they refuse to listen to anyone throughout the NHS about what is going on. The fact is that 'cost saving' through cutting beds has led to a bed crisis. The lack of funding in social care means that people are unable to leave hospital even though they are perfectly fit to be discharged. Neither of these problems can be solved by putting the onus on GPs to provide a service that people do not want or need, with staff who already work incredibly long hours. There aren't the GPs to safely run a 7-day service, and they always seem to forget the cost of support staff and nurses.

On average, one hour of a doctors time is spent per year on patients who are not entitled to the NHS. This is not the problem.
People who use A&E inappropriately take up just 2% of their time, as they are dealt with quickly and do not take up beds in intensive care or HDU. This is not the problem.

From my experience, a lot of people care very strongly about our NHS, but a lot of their anger is being misdirected to scapegoats. What can we actually do about any of it though, when the government don't even listen to people working on the front line?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending