The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liziepie
tbh I'm still unsure about my subject choice - that's why I wanted to do natural sciences so badly, because of the choice and freedom you get :smile: I'm not too sure about HSPS but I think it has the same amount of choice on the humanities side, so definitely something to think about

I'd choose the science that Trump likes the most...

Oh wait...
Original post by Jamwaq
@jneill - hoping you may know the answer to this... I have read that the uni4 bus that stops outside Homerton is ceasing - I understand that there are other buses - albeit more expensive - that stop outside the college ... do you know if these buses will take you to the pure maths buildings? I've tried googling but to no avail :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seen this?

http://www.go-whippet.co.uk/new-route-u/
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I'm going down in my Sherlock T-Shirt so I hope there's a Sherlock loving DOS that will give me a few brownie points :biggrin: thanks guys!!

I'll keep you all updated on here if you want I'll turn it into a mini diary (since nobody else is really doing much on here) and keep you all updated with my travels :tongue: only if you guys want/if I'd be allowed

if not ill do it on my GYG thread :lol:

HE loves it. :biggrin:
Original post by vincrows
HE loves it. :biggrin:

👀👌🏻
Trump uni still haven't gotten back to me :frown:
Original post by jamestg
I'm at that stage where I'm entertaining the idea of reapplying for HSPS - don't know if this is a good thing. Hmmm...

This was basically me this time last year, except I changed to Natural Sciences from Computer Science. (Well, I don't remember seriously considering it until around March time, but close enough.) Can be worth it I'd say. In hindsight NatSci is a much more appropriate choice of course for me and if I hadn't applied to and been rejected from Cambridge last year I doubt I would have seen that until after I started university.

Original post by jamestg
I just feel like I would be heavily judged by school and by my teachers reapplying and asking for references :frown:

This is the last thing you should be worrying about if you take a gap year, although it might be a bit different if your school is small. I only informed my sixth form college on the 3rd of October that I was intending to re-apply, before then I was already at university as far as they knew! I think they just adapted my reference from the year before, I really ought to do a SAR to UCAS to find out exactly how much they changed but it evidently wasn't an issue.
Original post by jneill
Yup. And only if you exceed the typical offer.

So for Cambridge this would be A*A*A for humanities and A*A*A* for science? And for Oxford this would be A*AA for most humanities and A*A*A for most sciences? Would it matter whether the A* was in a subject relevant to what you wanted to study if humanities?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NeverLucky
Yeah it means you automatically get an interview. But as it's been said before, it's better to be pooled by merit rather than just get auto-pooled.

How does auto-pooling work for no AS?
Original post by auburnstar
It could be due to school rank & type (eg failing comp), which wouldn't surprise me as Bristol have started implementing one grade reduced offers for state school students in low-performing areas (although Oxbridge doesn't seem to do this yet). Or it could be that they think A*A*A is too ambitious but really want you.

That can't be it as I go to a high performing state school and come from a reasonably affluent area. Also academically I got the standard 4A's at AS and am predicted 4A*s for A2, I was thinking it could be the pre-interview assessment as I thought it went quite well?
I'm not too sure though, I'm considering asking for feedback even though I got an offer as the admissions tutor asked for a personal written reply in my offer letter?
Do you think they'll give me some?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by neyscar
Yeah, I hate having to tell people. Me and my friend were so nervous and about 2 minutes after I opened the email in school, she came up to me and asked what the news was (she had already received her offer) and I thought I was okay until I told her I was rejected and I had to consciously stop myself from crying, like I could feel it welling up and I was thinking "woah what is happening, do not cry in school, please please please"... I didn't think I would be so affected.

Around 30 people from my school got offers so I've had to sit through groups of people all around me getting super excited for life at Oxbridge over the past few days and planning out what they're going to do while I just have to sit there and overhear it all. Luckily the majority of them have been considerate enough to not be constantly shouting about it but there's a few who have zero tact. I understand the excitement and I am genuinely so pleased for everyone but I can't lie that it does feel like rubbing salt into a raw wound. I guess that's more my problem than theirs though.

My older brother and everyone else at his old secondary school were told they weren't Oxbridge material so he never applied and regrets it now. For that reason, he was eager for me to not make the same mistake and he sort of guided me through the whole thing and advised me on how to make my application as strong as possible. I feel like I've let him down. Same with my parents. They keep saying I haven't but I know deep down they're disappointed and it's so upsetting.

Wow, I can imagine that is really difficult for you. I'm lucky in the sense that I was the first person from my school to ever apply to Oxbridge but I also wanted to be the first to get in... well at least you applied because you probably would have always thought "what if?" It is difficult but eventually we will be happy wherever we end up and Oxbridge will be in the past. :smile:
I am so tired

Early mornings really aren't my thing

:tongue:
Original post by jamestg
I'm at that stage where I'm entertaining the idea of reapplying for HSPS - don't know if this is a good thing. Hmmm...

I can't wait until I start studying at Durham, because by then it will be too late to apply. It would only be in the circumstance that I decide econ isn't for me (before actually doing econ) and I have A*A*A+.

I'm really looking forward to Durham, don't get me wrong, but rejection (like with many) is making me question subject choice.

For a gap year, I guess I could work for an MP or/and help out at a school with politics and history.

I just feel like I would be heavily judged by school and by my teachers reapplying and asking for references :frown:

Just something to consider, I think a lot of rejections might be to do with the fact that people don't express a genuine untampered excitement towards their subject. I'm not saying this applies to you as you might have been completely sure of your subject choice before you heard back from Cam, but if you're thinking of reapplying I think the best thing you can do is make sure you find an area (or entire subject) that truly interests you.
I think with the amount of experience interviewers have they can see past nerves and see your excitement for a subject, so again just something to keep on your mind (If you do reapply of course).
Original post by Infested
Maybe Newnham, if she's (he?) female. That's where Plath went!

I actually applied to Trinity but even the thought of going to the same university as Plath would've been amazing. Oh well. :frown:
Original post by auburnstar
So for Cambridge this would be A*A*A for humanities and A*A*A* for science? And for Oxford this would be A*AA for most humanities and A*A*A for most sciences? Would it matter whether the A* was in a subject relevant to what you wanted to study if humanities?

Yes to all that.

There's also the thing about A*A*A* guaranteeing an interview (autopool) but that's a minor consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NeverLucky
Yeah it means you automatically get an interview. But as it's been said before, it's better to be pooled by merit rather than just get auto-pooled.

Thanks! PRSOM (not sure if I'm using it right)
Original post by whatyoullbe
How does auto-pooling work for no AS?

It doesn't. But you can still be pooled on merit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theforeigner

I'm not too sure though, I'm considering asking for feedback even though I got an offer as the admissions tutor asked for a personal written reply in my offer letter?
Do you think they'll give me some?

No. The offer is your feedback :smile:

Ask your DoS about it when you go up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
No. The offer is your feedback :smile:

Ask your DoS about it when you go up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If we miss the offer, are we allowed to ask for feedback then :wink:
Even if I do, I'm not going to have the balls to ask them how I got in after that interview 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vinnie99
If we miss the offer, are we allowed to ask for feedback then :wink:
Even if I do, I'm not going to have the balls to ask them how I got in after that interview 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might depend on your college. Often they have a deadline at the end of January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes to all that.

So if someone were to exceed the offer for eg Oxford with A*AA but the A* was in for example biology or philosophy etc and not English (if the person was applying for English), would they be still offered interview assuming everything else on the app was good?

Latest

Trending

Trending