The Student Room Group

Business or Chemistry for A-Level?

I don't know which subject to chose for A-Level :frown: I find business hard for GCSE so idk which one to pick. Please help
Original post by palm12
I don't know which subject to chose for A-Level :frown: I find business hard for GCSE so idk which one to pick. Please help

Do chemistry its more useful and business is seen as a soft subject and is not very useful and you dont need business to do any degree whilst chemistry you need it for some degrees.
Reply 2
Original post by palm12

Chemistry :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous1502
Do chemistry its more useful and business is seen as a soft subject and is not very useful and you dont need business to do any degree whilst chemistry you need it for some degrees.

but isn't chemistry really hard at a level?
Original post by palm12
but isn't chemistry really hard at a level?

It's hard but there isn't really an easy a level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Hanaan999
It's hard but there isn't really an easy a level

Posted from TSR Mobile

True
Original post by palm12

Give us your academic background information so we can advise you.
-I'm currently doing A2 chemistry and I can say that yes, it is hard, but Chemistry is a highly valued subject.
That's not to say that Business isn't valued, but Chemistry is rightly or wrongly seen as a more challenging and more academic subject than Business.
It all depends on where you want to be in a few years time: if you want to go for any kind of STEM or an academic career then Chemistry will be more beneficial to you in the long run.

Kind regards,
Reply 8
Give us your academic background information so we can advise you.

I am predicted an A for both
I am taking maths and computer science for sure at a level
Original post by palm12
I am predicted an A for both
I am taking maths and computer science for sure at a level

I think chemistry matches really nicely with maths, its a hard a level but its worth it,and its a facilitating subject and will make your application look strong for uni.
Reply 10
I think chemistry matches really nicely with maths, its a hard a level but its worth it,and its a facilitating subject and will make your application look strong for uni.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 11
Chemistry, not to hate on Business but chemistry is a facilitating subject and so typically more respected (ofc if you applied for a business degree they might prefer business)
Original post by palm12
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it :smile:

I do Maths and Chemistry together and I have to say, Maths has really helped me in my physical chemistry skills, making it easier for me to do the calculations. Not that you need to do them together, but they really complement each other. Organic chemistry, maths won't help that much.

(A2 student).
You should do Economics :h:
Is this a 4th subject or one of your 3 a levels? Which subject do you one to do at uni? At what tier uni (Oxbridge, RG, etc)? If you want to go RG or universities on the same standard then it is advised you have at least 2 facilitating subjects, and rn you only have 1, so I would say Chemistry.
It depends on what you want to go on to study at university.
Plus I recommend that you look at economics more than business as business is seen as a soft subject by universities.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply