The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5060
Original post by jneill
Might depend on your college. Often they have a deadline at the end of January.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about interview scores?
Original post by vinnie99
If we miss the offer, are we allowed to ask for feedback then :wink:
Even if I do, I'm not going to have the balls to ask them how I got in after that interview 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you can ask for feedback if you got an offer but missed the condition. I remember someone asked a same question to one of admission people here (@Murray Edwards Admissions ??) last year (?) and I'm quite sure that's what he said.

You can ask, if you really want, but after the result day the admission people are exteremely busy, again, as they go into all the procedures of officially accepting offer holders as their new freshers in a few weeks time, and that's huge and complex task.
I very much doubt they can or want to deal with ex-offer holders feedback request on top of that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
No. The offer is your feedback :smile:

Ask your DoS about it when you go up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait so you can't ask for feedback even if you got accepted? That's disappointing since I wanted it for my sixth form so they could advise future students for Language applications
Original post by FrenchNerd2
Wait so you can't ask for feedback even if you got accepted? That's disappointing since I wanted it for my sixth form so they could advise future students for Language applications

You can ask your DoS that when you start at the college.
Original post by vincrows
You can ask your DoS that when you start at the college.

I'll just have to do that then :smile:
Original post by FrenchNerd2
I'll just have to do that then :smile:

You have a luxury of being able to ask as many times you want and in more details.
Feedback for unsuccessful applicants often tends to be really simple and doesn't tell you much anyway.
Original post by vincrows
You have a luxury of being able to ask as many times you want and in more details.
Feedback for unsuccessful applicants often tends to be really simple and doesn't tell you much anyway.

That's fair enough, thank you
Original post by auburnstar
So if someone were to exceed the offer for eg Oxford with A*AA but the A* was in for example biology or philosophy etc and not English (if the person was applying for English), would they be still offered interview assuming everything else on the app was good?

They would still have to sit the ELAT and that's a key factor in The Other Place's selection process. If it was good they would get an interview.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I am so tired

Early mornings really aren't my thing

:tongue:

:coffee:
Original post by solC
What about interview scores?

For an offer holder? Again you can ask your DoS when you go up.

For an unsuccessful applicant? Depends on the college. I think, for example, the MEAT generally doesn't include it because he feels it can be unhelpful out of context.
Original post by jneill
They would still have to sit the ELAT and that's a key factor in The Other Place's selection process. If it was good they would get an interview.

Fair enough. I'm intending to re-apply for music probably at Oxford assuming I get at least A*AAA to stand a decent chance (I had A*A*AA predictions but I assume they thought these were ambitious predictions given my AS and actually having them would look better). It doesn't have any admissions test so it's mostly based on submitted work. But if I didn't get the A* in music (which is notoriously hard to do as something like 14-18% compared to 25% for some subjects get A*) but in something else I would have technically 'exceeded' the standard offer so an interview would be likely.
Original post by theforeigner
Just something to consider, I think a lot of rejections might be to do with the fact that people don't express a genuine untampered excitement towards their subject. I'm not saying this applies to you as you might have been completely sure of your subject choice before you heard back from Cam, but if you're thinking of reapplying I think the best thing you can do is make sure you find an area (or entire subject) that truly interests you.
I think with the amount of experience interviewers have they can see past nerves and see your excitement for a subject, so again just something to keep on your mind (If you do reapply of course).

I know I should have applied to HSPS, I was almost stupid applying for Econ.

Reasons:
- would've smashed the interview out of the water (I can literally talk to you for hours about how much I love political systems, and I can easily compare the state of politics in different countries)
- the admissions test would have been 10x easier
- A-levels are more suited

Should've applied for Econ and Pol everywhere else, but HSPS at Cambridge.

I was enthusiastic and self taught a lot (but probably nowhere near enough) of Econ before the interview, I just think I wasn't confident enough talking about my subject...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theforeigner
Just something to consider, I think a lot of rejections might be to do with the fact that people don't express a genuine untampered excitement towards their subject. I'm not saying this applies to you as you might have been completely sure of your subject choice before you heard back from Cam, but if you're thinking of reapplying I think the best thing you can do is make sure you find an area (or entire subject) that truly interests you.
I think with the amount of experience interviewers have they can see past nerves and see your excitement for a subject, so again just something to keep on your mind (If you do reapply of course).

i disagree with this.
As you said, most of interviewers are experienced enough to see beyond superficial things like nerves, etc., and I think that includes your ability/inability for expressing your passion/excitement for the subject. That's more to do with your personality and/or eloquence and I think they're good enough to see beyond it. I know many people at Cambridge who are very shy or quite socially-awkward and not good at communicating with other people. They did get offer and often achieve briiliantly in their course. And DoS/AT/interviewers know this very well.
On the train :biggrin: goodbye Durham.... the game is on :u:
I got feedback after i missed my offer in 2015, they gave me copies of my interview forms and notes of my grades in august
Original post by physicsmaths
I got feedback after i missed my offer in 2015, they gave me copies of my interview forms and notes of my grades in august

Is this the case for most colleges?

Good luck!

Hey I know the thread isn't very active now, but I wanted to tell you we still think about you! Good luck and tell us how it went :smile:
Original post by jamestg
Is this the case for most colleges?

No.
Original post by jamestg
I know I should have applied to HSPS, I was almost stupid applying for Econ.

Reasons:
- would've smashed the interview out of the water (I can literally talk to you for hours about how much I love political systems, and I can easily compare the state of politics in different countries)
- the admissions test would have been 10x easier
- A-levels are more suited

Should've applied for Econ and Pol everywhere else, but HSPS at Cambridge.

I was enthusiastic and self taught a lot (but probably nowhere near enough) of Econ before the interview, I just think I wasn't confident enough talking about my subject...

Do you think you're going to reapply next year then?
Original post by physicsmaths

What college did you apply to the first time?

Latest

Trending

Trending