The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steliata
I know someone who had 4As at AS, a great personal statement, loads of relevant reading, predictions above the standard offer and they got rejected before interview. This was for St John's...

4 As at AS-level doesn't really tell much about the applicant though. In previous years, when UMS marks had to be submitted for all AS subjects, it was common for those with 4 As to be rejected prior to interview if their average UMS for their best three subjects was low - 85% or less, rising to around 90% for the most competitive courses. I expect that the new admissions assessments have played a similar role this year.
Original post by jamestg
I probably won't decide until the summer, although I'll be preparing stuff to do on a potential gap year over the next few months - just so working at Sainsbury's isn't the only thing I can do for 12 months...

Don't know where you live, but if it's easily accessible for,you, try attending lectures/talks that's open to public in the subjects you're interested. A lot of universities/research institutes/academic societies offer such events. Search online.
If you live too far from them, have a look st this place. Most of lectures are recorded and available to watch online for free,
Something you can do if you decide to take a gap year. :wink:

https://www.gresham.ac.uk

Radio 4 is a true treasure trove of programmes that would be very interesting for someone who are interested in that sort of subjects.
Get BBC radio iplayer app (different from tv one) which makes it much easier to search and download the programmes. (And unlike tv iplayer, they keep them available for years)
Original post by vincrows
Don't know where you live, but if it's easily accessible for,you, try attending lectures/talks that's open to public in the subjects you're interested. A lot of universities/research institutes/academic societies offer such events. Search online.
If you live too far from them, have a look st this place. Most of lectures are recorded and available to watch online for free,
Something you can do if you decide to take a gap year. :wink:

https://www.gresham.ac.uk

Radio 4 is a true treasure trove of programmes that would be very interesting for someone who are interested in that sort of subjects.
Get BBC radio iplayer app (different from tv one) which makes it much easier to search and download the programmes. (And unlike tv iplayer, they keep them available for years)

Luckily I live near Oxford, so it's really easy to go to public lectures there and London is just a short train ride away too.

I'm also considering doing the IEA internship thing once I save up enough money for the travel. Radio 4 is a treasure trove! I might start listening to it more, especially in the mornings.

Thank you very much for your help!!
Original post by jamestg
Luckily I live near Oxford, so it's really easy to go to public lectures there and London is just a short train ride away too.

I'm also considering doing the IEA internship thing once I save up enough money for the travel. Radio 4 is a treasure trove! I might start listening to it more, especially in the mornings.

Thank you very much for your help!!

I'm a really severe radio 4 addict. I listen to them all the time.
(Assume you listened to evening programmes like News Quiz, Now Show and Deadrngers? Or you're not as silly as me? :tongue:)

You're most welcome,
I'll disappear after today, but it's been my pleasure that I've been able to share a small time with you. Thank you. :smile:

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Almost at Peterborough :biggrin:
I really want to know how I did in the admissions assessment tbh
I'm a really severe radio 4 addict. I listen to them all the time.
(Assume you listened to evening programmes like News Quiz, Now Show and Deadrngers? Or you're not as silly as me? :tongue:)

You're most welcome,
I'll disappear after today, but it's been my pleasure that I've been able to share a small time with you. Thank you. :smile:

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Of course :smile: anything to do with political satire, and I'm all over it haha.
Original post by jamestg
Of course :smile: anything to do with political satire, and I'm all over it haha.

That's my boy. :biggrin:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I really want to know how I did in the admissions assessment tbh

You can ask dr Spencer after you got in.

And you have more important things to ponder about at this momen...and after you arrive at Cambridge station. t. :wink:
Original post by Student1256
Were you applying to King's or trinity college by any chance?

No, I applied to St John's. Guess I can join the bunch of people that hate them now haha :laugh:
You can ask dr Spencer after you got in.

And you have more important things to ponder about at this momen...and after you arrive at Cambridge station. t. :wink:

True :biggrin: the stations and trains are so quiet
Original post by 210555
There is a reasonably large element of subjectivity with university applications as a whole and Cambridge is no different to this. Remember you applied for a very competitive course ( as I did lat year and was rejected with very similar grade profile to you). If you look at the range of courses you will find there is quite a big difference as to their competitiveness. So for last year there were 2943 applications for natural sciences and 703 offers made. At the other end of the scale there were 146 applications for classics and 93 offers made.

Hopefully this puts your rejection into a little more perspective. I am assuming you already have offers from other excellent universities? What would be your motivation for reapplying? I am not saying not to but I think a little time out would help you.

Think about your other offers, if you want to reapply can they be deferred. I am not trying to sway your opinion mind. I decided not to reapply as Oxbridge didn't mean that much to me. I achieved my 4 A* at A level and can tell you I am in no way unique. I know loads of students at my uni with very similar grades ( including natural science) students.
Good luck with whatever you decide. 👍

Thanks for your advice :smile: The course is what really makes me want to reapply. I've got offers from Imperial, UCL, Birmingham and Bath but Cambridge is the only NatSci course that lets you take four modules (including the Maths). To be honest, the prestige doesn't mean as much to me as some other applicants and it's frustrating that my favourite course is at Cambridge because it is so competitive :frown:
Original post by ajamess
Thanks for your advice :smile: The course is what really makes me want to reapply. I've got offers from Imperial, UCL, Birmingham and Bath but Cambridge is the only NatSci course that lets you take four modules (including the Maths). To be honest, the prestige doesn't mean as much to me as some other applicants and it's frustrating that my favourite course is at Cambridge because it is so competitive :frown:

This is how I feel. My favourite course (history applicant here) is at my most competitive choice!!'!
This is how I feel. My favourite course (history applicant here) is at my most competitive choice!!'!

I haven't posted much... mainly lurked on these threads, but enjoyed all your posts and good humour and insights... Good Luck, you deserve it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arrived at Cambridge, now en route to Medwards!!! :biggrin:

Good luck with your interview(s)! I hope you find out soon :smile: I'm rooting for you :wink:

Good luck! Hope all goes well :smile:
Aw thanks for all the support guys :h:
Just realised I have a Mickey mouse rucksack and a Sherlock shirt on :colondollar:
Stuck in lots of traffic, taxi is blasting classical music, and we are stuck in front of (I think) Peterhouse

Latest

Trending

Trending