The Student Room Group

Swiss town denies passport to Dutch vegan because she is ‘too annoying’

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
:toofunny:

she should be allowed a passport on condition that she wears a bell round her neck when in public.
(edited 7 years ago)
I just don't get why they don't just be nice to animals rather than telling other people they have to. Abstaining from doing harm isn't a deed.
i expect she objects to cuckoo clocks because of their stereotypical portrayal of cuckoos.
Good, they should be allowed to deny a passport/visa to someone for any reason they wish. Its their country.
(edited 7 years ago)
I used to have a friend like that.

Emphasis on 'used to have'...
I think it is great idea, and e should do it here. Or at least deprive people of British citizenship on the grounds of being annoying.

There is a lot of competition but I think Russell Brand would be first on my list.

What an irritating cnunt.
Tell her she can have a passport but it can only be supplied with a fresh leather wallet.
Reply 8
Swiss people should stick to what they are good at, hiding money for tax dodgers and despots.
Reply 9
as long as she fullfills all the requirements, she should be granted citizenship. whatever her neighbours like her on not, it should not be important
Original post by simon_g
as long as she fullfills all the requirements, she should be granted citizenship. whatever her neighbours like her on not, it should not be important

In Switerland, you're neighbourhoods approval is an essential requirement and we should have it in the UK too.
Original post by simon_g

Naturalisation occurs on several levels and communal (therefore, the neighbours) have an equally important role in providing citizenship.
Original post by MeYou2Night
In Switerland, you're neighbourhoods approval is an essential requirement and we should have it in the UK too.

True.

Should have it in every neighbourhood and block of flats. New tenants have to be voted in by existing tenants.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Her neighbours' approval is a requirement...

I am aware of that. I meant that as long as she fulfills other requirements- like long residency (which she does as she is living there since she was 8) etc.

Original post by MeYou2Night

I strongly disagree with the second part of your statement. One can have the lyrics of the anthem tattooed on one's back, together with Queen's face and eat fish'n'chips almost every day, one can live in the uk for decades and still won't be considered by their neighbours as Brit.

Original post by Aceadria
Naturalisation occurs on several levels and communal (therefore, the neighbours) have an equally important role in providing citizenship.

aye, in some cantons it's an essential part.

I have no time for this government, but our society is becoming increasingly sinister when a government minister is accused of a hate incident for daring to suggest that foreign workers are taking jobs from indigenous British people.When does an ‘incident’ become a crime - or are the two synonymous? Perhaps vegetarianism should become a religion. I could then demand the arrest of several on this board.

Hunting with hounds is a part of British 'culture', and is allowed to continue despite now being illegal. Am I commiting a hate crime by denouncing those involved? My great grandad died in 2 world wars, but perhaps I should be deported along with the rest of the 84% of British people who support the retention of the Hunting Act.

We now have to contend with other cultures which have even less respect for animals than our own. Eid is celebrated in open air sites all over France, where adults and children have been witnessed slitting the throats of sheep and goats with broken glass and screwdrivers. Is it now a hate crime to criticise such cultural activities?

The British taxpayer is helping to finance the enormous EU grants given to Spanish farmers to rear bulls for the bullring, and a few years ago, the EU held an exhibition at its Brussels headquarters, celebrating bullfighting. They call it ‘culture’.No wonder so many people supported the Leave campaign
Original post by astutehirstute
I think it is great idea, and e should do it here. Or at least deprive people of British citizenship on the grounds of being annoying.

There is a lot of competition but I think Russell Brand would be first on my list.

What an irritating cnunt.

I have sympathised with a West Ham supporting friend because Russell Brand is also a West ham supporter.

Jeremy Hunt would be on my list too, Michael Gove, Piers Morgan to name three.
Original post by Laomedeia
I have no time for this government, but our society is becoming increasingly sinister when a government minister is accused of a hate incident for daring to suggest that foreign workers are taking jobs from indigenous British people.When does an ‘incident’ become a crime - or are the two synonymous? Perhaps vegetarianism should become a religion. I could then demand the arrest of several on this board.

Actually it's just an example of free speech. One member of the public (a physics Professor) went to the police accusing the Home Secretary of a hate crime. The police responded by saying her speech did not meet the criteria for a hate crime.

The newspapers picked it up because they wanted to make a story out of it to get people to read their newspapers, I mean how good is that headline Home Secretary accused of hate crime.

But it wasn't a crime and it was just refuted. Now you can take the view that that physics Professor was being melodramatic, in the same way that you get people saying there's a "white genocide" due to mixed marriages, but in a world of free speech you have to hear nonsense sometimes.

There are laws around hate speech and public figures are subject to them, but what the Home Secretary said wasn't a crime.
As long as her children can continue to live and be educated in Switzerland, no issue for me.
Original post by simon_g
I am aware of that. I meant that as long as she fulfills other requirements- like long residency (which she does as she is living there since she was 8) etc.

I personally understand where the Swiss are coming from on this. Objective requirements aside, an individual must be a part of the community he or she will be integrating with and it is up to the majority to decide whether said individual will bring value.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending