The Student Room Group

They got accepted but I didn't

So basicallly I apply to a uni for a course that required ABB. I'm predicted BBC, I knew it was a long shot but I applied anyway and got rejected which I was fine with. But someone I know applied for the exact same course with prediction of Distinction, C, C (one of which he got a D at AS btw) and got accepted. I just don't understand what I did wrong when other universities with these grades gave me an offer.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MrNobody123
So basicallly I apply to a uni for a course that required ABB. I'm predicted BBC, I knew it was a long shot but I applied anyway and got rejected which I was fine with. But someone I know applied for the exact same course with prediction of Distinction, C, C (one of which he got a D at AS btw) and got accepted. I just don't understand what I did wrong when other universities with these grades gave me an offer.

What were you applying for? Unis don't just look at predicted grades (some do, but not most), they look at your personal statement and reference.

Maybe that person did more work experience than you. With tuition fees rising unis want to make sure the course you picked is right for you, you dropping out after a year is bad for the uni too.

And mostly likely they got a standard offer, ABB. So whether they will achieve that is a different story.
Reply 2
Original post by Qinge
What were you applying for? Unis don't just look at predicted grades (some do, but not most), they look at your personal statement and reference.

Maybe that person did more work experience than you. With tuition fees rising unis want to make sure the course you picked is right for you, you dropping out after a year is bad for the uni too.

And mostly likely they got a standard offer, ABB. So whether they will achieve that is a different story.

I know it's defiantly not his proposal statement because he got it sent back to him last minute (apparently a teacher said it was really not good) so he had to quickly fix it. It also can't be work experience because he hasn't done any or any extra curricular activities.
And it's for Geography
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I know it's defiantly not his proposal statement because he got it sent back to him last minute (apparently a teacher said it was really not good) so he had to quickly fix it. It also can't be work experience because he hasn't done any or any extra curricular activities.
And it's for Geography

Do you know if they have a possible learning disability? Unis tend to be more lenient if you are professionally diagnosed.
Reply 4
Original post by Qinge
Do you know if they have a possible learning disability? Unis tend to be more lenient if you are professionally diagnosed.

No nothing like that
GCSE grades maybe?
Reply 6
Original post by Miss_mischy
GCSE grades maybe?

I mean his are probably slightly better than mine but I doubt it would be enough to base an offer on
Reply 7
I know it's defiantly not his proposal statement because he got it sent back to him last minute (apparently a teacher said it was really not good)

Yes well there has been plenty said on how much teachers know about writing personal statements.

The word is "definitely" btw.
Reply 8

Predicted Distinction CC isn't the same as BBC. There will be other differences too. And the other person will still need to meet that offer.

Focus on yourself, not others... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Predicted Distinction CC isn't the same as BBC. There will be other differences too. And the other person will still need to meet that offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true. I'd rep rep but it says Please rate some other members before rating this member again.
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it's not the same but getting a distinction is much easier than getting say a B. So I still don't understand how a uni could look at him and see that he had achieved distinction CD at AS and make him and offer. Even if he went up a grade in his two a level subjects he would still have a C. But then look at me and see that I got BCC at AS and think let's not make him an offer when if I made one grade progress in each subject I would meet the requirements.
I know it's not the same but getting a distinction is much easier than getting say a B. So I still don't understand how a uni could look at him and see that he had achieved distinction CD at AS and make him and offer. Even if he went up a grade in his two a level subjects he would still have a C. But then look at me and see that I got BCC at AS and think let's not make him an offer when if I made one grade progress in each subject I would meet the requirements.

The university would consider a distinction as on par to an A/B. As jneill says this has happened now, focusing on other people isn't going to get you a place at a university, focus your energy elsewhere.

If it's bugging you so much phone up and ask.

For something like geography it could be down to subject mix or gcse subject grades. Some universities make different/more offers for geography to applicants who have a stronger science content in their qualifications.
Original post by claireestelle
The university would consider a distinction as on par to an A/B. As jneill says this has happened now, focusing on other people isn't going to get you a place at a university, focus your energy elsewhere.

I know it's not but it is very frustrating when people who have put a lot less effort in than me get accepted and I don't. I wouldn't be bothered if they had achieved better grades than me and have done other stuff to help their application. But they haven't and as far as I can tell I had a stronger application.
Oh and this isn't the only person that got into this uni that I know with lower grades, the other got Cs and Ds!
Original post by PQ
If it's bugging you so much phone up and ask.

For something like geography it could be down to subject mix or gcse subject grades. Some universities make different/more offers for geography to applicants who have a stronger science content in their qualifications.

This could be the explanation but we both specifically chose the BA course because we didn't have a science A Level that was needed for the BSC. Nothing was mentioned about science for the BA course.
Unis view each application subjectively based on an individual basis. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses so don't let it get you down. Ofcourse you could email admissions with what you asked above and for feedback on why you were not accepted?
I know it's not but it is very frustrating when people who have put a lot less effort in than me get accepted and I don't. I wouldn't be bothered if they had achieved better grades than me and have done other stuff to help their application. But they haven't and as far as I can tell I had a stronger application.
Oh and this isn't the only person that got into this uni that I know with lower grades, the other got Cs and Ds!

There are always going to be people in life that you feel are making less effort but doing better than you, life isn't fair and it's something that you just have to get used to i m afraid.
It won't necessarily be a grades reason it could be other reasons as well, seemingly these people you are comparing yourself to aren't friends of yours so on the surface you ve judged that they don't have as string applications but that's not something you can ever be certain of since you didn't read them.
I agree with pq call them if it gets you some closure
Different universities value different things. Just because he got accepted and you didn't doesn't mean the uni thinks he is 'better.' Rather it means that he had more of something that they were looking for than you did. You may have more of some qualities that other unis are looking for than he does. It's like how sometimes people get accepted at top unis and rejected from a lower down one. That seems to not make sense, but really the other uni was just looking for something else.
Original post by claireestelle
There are always going to be people in life that you feel are making less effort but doing better than you, life isn't fair and it's something that you just have to get used to i m afraid.
It won't necessarily be a grades reason it could be other reasons as well, seemingly these people you are comparing yourself to aren't friends of yours so on the surface you ve judged that they don't have as string applications but that's not something you can ever be certain of since you didn't read them.
I agree with pq call them if it gets you some closure

To be clear, I'm not saying that my application is way better than theirs but it must be around the same level. So I don't see why the uni couldn't have given me an aspirational offer like others did that can't have seen a problem with my application.

I mean it could be that other aspects of his application are strong but on UCAS the reason given to be for the rejection was inadequate academic performance. I just don't see how me getting BBC was classed as "inadequate" when his distinction DC was classed as "adequate".
To be clear, I'm not saying that my application is way better than theirs but it must be around the same level. So I don't see why the uni couldn't have given me an aspirational offer like others did that can't have seen a problem with my application.

I mean it could be that other aspects of his application are strong but on UCAS the reason given to be for the rejection was inadequate academic performance. I just don't see how me getting BBC was classed as "inadequate" when his distinction DC was classed as "adequate".

Ask the uni then, it might give you an answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending