The Student Room Group

Trump attacks John Lewis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trinculo
He better stay away from Peter Jones.

If their products are made in Mexico? They are history.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
And perhaps, hairpieces?

Good quality rugs anyway.
Original post by Joinedup
Good quality rugs anyway.

In a tasteful dead tiger skin motif with alligator edgings.
It's rather amazing that our current government haven't yet come up with a wheeze by which they can legislate the JLP out of existence - it must be offensive to the modern extremist neoliberal mind that an employee-owned business can do so well. :rolleyes:

John Spedan Lewis devised a structure that has never been matched. The key element is that the business is managed in the workforce's interests as owners and not their interests as employees.
How can America be great again if the Greatest Show on Earth is closing?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38627073
Original post by nulli tertius
How can America be great again if the Greatest Show on Earth is closing?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38627073

you know who to the rescue
http://moscowstatecircus.com/
John Spedan Lewis devised a structure that has never been matched. The key element is that the business is managed in the workforce's interests as owners and not their interests as employees.

Yes and the policies show through when you work there, it's a really good working environment with a commitment to the customers that isn't just a pretence as in so many chains. Oh dear, I'm starting to sound like the next Christmas ad. :teehee:
Original post by WBZ144

Said the pot to the kettle :laugh:. Trump should get off Twitter and focus on doing the job he was elected to do.

If Twitter goes down, we will lose all contact with the President, which could be troubling, or even a good thing.
Yes but this doesn't allow him to criticise Trump's democratic mandate without subjecting himself to political criticism.

Trump has gone out of his way to attack ordinary Americans, and those are the actions of a bully. He has also attacked McCain's war record, which are the actions of a detestable human, but you can't really say that an opposition politician is above political criticism.

Trump has gone out of his way to attack ordinary Americans,

He did?

Can you provide some examples please?
Original post by WBZ144
"Mr Trump tweeted that Mr Lewis was "all talk" and should focus on his constituents"

Said the pot to the kettle :laugh:. Trump should get off Twitter and focus on doing the job he was elected to do.

Lewis is a man who has achieved a lot through his own struggles, bravery and hard work, unlike the one who has had everything handed to him on a platter and has yet to show similar qualities :yep:

Could you provide a few examples of Lewis's achievements please?
I don't really get this thread.

I mean I get the joke on the name which was mildly amusing.

I get that hysterical liberals go into total meltdown at the mere mention of Trump, because he represents (triumphant) forces which despise all that they believe in. Identity politics, uncontrolled mass immigration, political correctness, ya de ya.

And what can you do but laugh at the politically biased way the BBC covers the "story." Trump "slammed" for "attack on rights icon." :biggrin:

No wonder the MSM itself is laughed at and disbelieved in the face of such post truth journalism.

But I don't get what wrong he is supposed to have done, here, or how we might be next? An opposition politician accuses him of being an "illegitimate" President and he has criticised him. Big deal. So what?

Why the outrage? What point was the OP making?
Original post by joe cooley
Trump has gone out of his way to attack ordinary Americans,

He did?

Can you provide some examples please?

Chuck Jones

Gonzalo Curiel

Lauren Batchelder
Woke up this morning to hear that the President-Elect has been bashing John Lewis.

Deeply puzzled at this assault on our leading retail brand. Did he have a bad experience with a table lamp? Do they even sell gold-leafed table lamps? Or was it a Waitrose salad that sent him over the edge?

No. It was this guy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38623881

It could be you next. :afraid:

Chuck Jones

Gonzalo Curiel

Lauren Batchelder

Chuck Jones- attacked Trum for saving Carrier jobs.

Gonzalo Curiel-associated with the racist group La Raza

Lauren Batchelder-a political operative for Jeb Bush, planted in the audience.

Lol, just ordinary Americans minding their own business.

FFS.

I think the main achievement is being on the right side of history. He played a pivotal role in fighting against massive injustice. While still very young, he was a major player in the civil rights campaign in America.

He fought hard for what he believed in against a tide of opposition. He faced violent attacks and sustained injuries for standing up for the values he believed in - which happened to be values which ought to be expected in any civilised country.

In recognition of this, he has won the Presidential Medal of Freedom, NAACP Springarn medal - to name but a few awards.

The guy's biography is basically a list of accomplishments.

FFS.

Trump has no right not to be criticised.

He is not entitled to deploy all the advantages that either his celebrity or his office gives him to attack those who criticise him.

A judge, a minor trades union official and a student are not fair game.

FFS.

How about the Khans - parents of a US soldier killed in action?

How about all the Mexicans and Muslims in America who are there legally, working and just wanting to get by?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by InnerTemple
I think the main achievement is being on the right side of history. He played a pivotal role in fighting against massive injustice. While still very young, he was a major player in the civil rights campaign in America.

He fought hard for what he believed in against a tide of opposition. He faced violent attacks and sustained injuries for standing up for the values he believed in - which happened to be values which ought to be expected in any civilised country.

In recognition of this, he has won the Presidential Medal of Freedom, NAACP Springarn medal - to name but a few awards.

The guy's biography is basically a list of accomplishments.

Indeed, yet you can't highlight a single one of them.
Indeed, yet you can't highlight a single one of them.

Well I think I did. In any event, you seem to agree with me. So it's all good.

He only worked his way up from a family of sharecroppers, achieving an education at a time when Black were very unlikely to be university-educated and earned a successful career in politics. What's even more trivial is the fact that he was a key figure in the movement that achieved civil rights for African Americans and one of the original Freedom Riders, who were key activists in ending segregation in the South. Donnie doesn't even come close to being his equal in terms of making a difference.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending